Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 3:09:32 PM EDT
When I'm shooting my 1911A1 I'm having a problem with the firing pin stop falling down part way and jaming the slide.I was thinking that the firing pin spring was weak and wasnt putting enough force on the firing pin stop that is why it was falling.I changed out the spring and I keep having the same problem any ideas.              

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you cleaned out the firing pin bore in the slide and inspected the firing pin? After replacing the spring, did you check the pin for free movement after pushing the firing pin all the way forward? If the firing pin hole in the slide is enlarged, it could cause the FP to stick forward a little (or a lot). The firing pin could also be bent. The FP could have a mushroomed head, causing it to not re-enter the hole in the stop plate if the plate slips a little.
The last thing I look at in this case is the stop plate. Most 1911s have had loose plates since day one and very few will drop the plate like yours did. In order for this to happen, the FP has failed to re-enter the hole in the plate. Think about what happens; the plate cannot drop while the hammer is resting on it after firing, and the slide starts to move back immediately, with the radius on the bottom of the plate pushing the hammer down as it goes. The plate obviously cannot fall yet. By this time the FP should have snapped back into place, pinning the stop plate in place. If this didn't happen, then the loose plate could fall out of position as yours did, so the firing pin/slide is the most likely problem area.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
EGW sells an file to firinp pin stop plate that should fix your issues if fit tight enough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you cleaned out the firing pin bore in the slide and inspected the firing pin? After replacing the spring, did you check the pin for free movement after pushing the firing pin all the way forward? If the firing pin hole in the slide is enlarged, it could cause the FP to stick forward a little (or a lot). The firing pin could also be bent. The FP could have a mushroomed head, causing it to not re-enter the hole in the stop plate if the plate slips a little.
The last thing I look at in this case is the stop plate. Most 1911s have had loose plates since day one and very few will drop the plate like yours did. In order for this to happen, the FP has failed to re-enter the hole in the plate. Think about what happens; the plate cannot drop while the hammer is resting on it after firing, and the slide starts to move back immediately, with the radius on the bottom of the plate pushing the hammer down as it goes. The plate obviously cannot fall yet. By this time the FP should have snapped back into place, pinning the stop plate in place. If this didn't happen, then the loose plate could fall out of position as yours did, so the firing pin/slide is the most likely problem area.
View Quote

Checked the firing pin to see if it moved freely it does.
Looked at the breach face didn't notice any thing out of the ordinary on the hole.
Firing pin not bent or disformed in any way.
I did check the stop plate with calipers against a blueprint, it is made to specs.

I will change out the firing pin spring with one that is stronger hopefully that fixes it .If not will look at a new stop and hand fit it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You will need a file-to-fit firing pin stop.

In the interim, while you are waiting for it to get here, and to fit it, you can take a punch and through up a few small burrs on the edges of the one you have to temporarily tighten the fit.  Go slow and easy, until you start getting friction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top