Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2017 10:36:22 PM EDT
Have a chance to buy a WW1 Colt 1911. It has been years since I have seen it and remember it being very worn. If I recall correctly the
US gov and other markings are there but very lightly. So far all I have is a letter from Colt stating the year it was shipped and the port it
was shipped to. I left the letter at work but I think the shipping year was 1917. The serial number is in the low 6xxxx range if that helps.
When I looked the serial number up on colts website they showed the production year as 1914.

Before I push him to bring it in I want to have a little more info on hand. Can anyone help with valve range or a accurate source for values?
Also, a source to identify if parts are correct? I have been googling for a while and one thing I noticed is blued ( or darker?) thumb safety. If I
recall correctly I do think a couple parts on the gun stuck out to me years ago as looking newer. Thanks

Update 4/30/17- Just wanted to say I have not forgotten about this. I am just patiently waiting for him to bring it in.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics would be great before putting a price on it. If you can get those then you will get so much more help here than the vague description that you posted. Also what he is asking will help out as well to help determine if it is worth the asking price.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Without [GOOD] pics of overall pistol and pics of parts and markings, all one can say is it's worth between $500 and $2000 depending on originality and condition if there is finish wear.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I will try my best to get pictures and update. If I can get pictures it might take a week or better. I really do understand
without pics its impossible but I had to try. As far as what he is asking I think it is too much. He is asking $2k but I want
to try and find where the real ballpark range is before talking money with him. Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will try my best to get pictures and update. If I can get pictures it might take a week or better. I really do understand
without pics its impossible but I had to try. As far as what he is asking I think it is too much. He is asking $2k but I want
to try and find where the real ballpark range is before talking money with him. Thanks again
View Quote

2K is with finish wear and browning but ALL original parts, even a replaced barrel will drop the value significantly [like $400-$500]

The finish would have to be seen to be accurately commented on.

If it has a lot of replaced parts, or if refinished in the past it's value is nil to the collector market and they are not shooters either as the slides were soft and tended to crack with use.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If it was shipped to a "port", it could be a rare "Model of 1911 U.S. Navy".

If so, you've hit paydirt!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top