Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 3:17:26 AM EDT
I think I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I am ambivalent about them on a 1911.  I'd rather not have them, but it doesn't bother me that they are there.

For the longest time I had told myself that it was something that could get snagged on clothing, or could somehow become nudged and flicked to the off position, but I've simply not had that happen.

Has anyone here ever had a negative experience/malfunction/whatever with an ambi safety ?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:35:48 AM EDT
[#1]
With the exception of the ones that use a extended sear pin to retain the right side lever. Like the Wilson Bullet proof models. The right side will eventually develop a wiggle as the mortise that the left side fits into loosens up.
I'm left handed but generally don't use a ambi safety. Trigger finger works the safety second finger works the mag release.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Try keeping your finger straight and off the trigger and using your thumb to put the weapon on fire.

Ambi safety is a joke.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never had an issue with an Ambi because I always remove them first thing..
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try keeping your finger straight and off the trigger and using your thumb to put the weapon on fire.

Ambi safety is a joke.
View Quote

goes without saying..

Only reason I have them is because the 1911's i bought came with them.  I just have not had a compelling enough reason to swap them out..I'll probably do it at some point on the ones I carry, but that requires a trip to the gunsmith for me.  Something that is easier said than done since the only competent smith that I think i can trust works from his home and has a wonky schedule.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Swapping them out is really pretty simple. Buy a small flat file and a Good TS and watch a few youtube videos and you will be all set.. Just file a little at a time trying it over and over until it works as it should.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a molded kydex holster that keeps the safety from being bumped off rather well.   Same gun (right sided carry) in another holster it does get bumped off safe occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#7]
No, not one time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Swapping them out is really pretty simple. Buy a small flat file and a Good TS and watch a few youtube videos and you will be all set.. Just file a little at a time trying it over and over until it works as it should.
View Quote

recomendations?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Years ago when I carried them I had a few instances where the safety got switched off.

Now that I'm carrying them again I got a holster that holds the safety on.

I will eventually replace it but it's not a pressing matter for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

recomendations?
View Quote

EGW or Wilson Combat bulletproof are the ones I use.. Harrison is another good one but will require more blending and cleaning up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

EGW or Wilson Combat bulletproof are the ones I use.. Harrison is another good one but will require more blending and cleaning up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

recomendations?

I don't know why I was putting it off. Just ordered a Wilson bullet proof. It seems a lot of people say they drop in without any work. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Knuckle on trigger finger can sometimes prevent disengagement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#14]
In general I do not want one on my 1911's. It's not a deal breaker if it has one, but if they sell a similar model with the single left side only I buy it.

I own a Taurus PT1911 that had a ambi-safety and I swapped it out before I ever shot it. Wilson bulletproof series components are usually my first pick.

Unless you are lefty I feel it's not eeded and unwanted.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:10:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would the Wilson Combat ones work on a Rock Island Tactical? That's the first gun I ever owned with an ambi safety on it and want it gone just to not have to worry about it down the road. Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:27:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I got into IPSC/USPSA around 1986 and had a custom 1911 built and of course it "had" to have an ambidextrous safety as we had a lot of "weak handed only" stages. It occurred to me that if you are drawing from your right side the same right hand could flip the safety off before switching hands. But it did look cool. I never actually used it.

Today I just don't want the clutter of one. BTW, none of my Glocks have one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#17]
^^^ This right here ^^^

I started shooting IPSC in '89.  A Guns-n-Ammo writer said, "A carry or competition gun without an ambi-safety is absolutely unsafe."  I bought into it with an Ed Brown ambi.  My STI Executive had a ambi-safety -- Never used it!

It makes life simpler.  If you're a Lefty then you need it, if you're a Righty you don't.  I go with the Ed Brown Tactical Safety on full size guns.  My CLW wears the original safety.  A little practice and you'll swipe it off as your off hand meets your strong hand coming up on target to engage.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Knuckle on trigger finger can sometimes prevent disengagement.
View Quote

It does for me.  That's why I can't stand them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I have them on all my 1911's except the 1917 Colt army pistol.

Never any issues with them.  Only had to fit one to the gun, all the others installed/worked without any adjustments.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm left handed but generally don't use a ambi safety. Trigger finger works the safety 
View Quote
I don't know how you're doing that...I physically can't move my trigger finger in a way that would allow me to disengage the thumb safety on a 1911.  If I don't have an ambi I would have to cross my thumb over the back of the gun to disengage it, and that doesn't allow me to have a very good grip on the gun.  That could just be me though, I do have some neck related issues and nerve damage that manifests as sensation loss/confusion in my middle to little fingers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#21]
So I got my safety it today. I removed the ambi saftey and installed the new one. It dropped right in and seems to work. The only think that's a little off is that it's a little spongy to put the safety back on. It clicks off perfectly.

I'm guessing I need to re shape where the detent fits. Yes?

The safety is a Wilson combat bullet proof TS fwiw
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#22]
None of my present 1911's have them.  I've owned guns in that past that did.  I'm sort of ambivalent about them.  My one real criticism is certain thumb break holsters can be a real bitch to snap shut on some ambi safeties.  

If I actually have to use my left hand for anything more complex than scratching my nose, things are going to end badly.  Very very badly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ambi safety is a joke.
View Quote

Are you serious?!

Get a quality ambi safety like a Wilson BP. Multiple companies are making better ambi safeties now days that aren't "tongue and groove" which will loosen over time.

Being a lefty and using the 1911 in any capacity (range, classes, duty use etc.) an ambi safety is NECESSARY for proper and safe weapons manipulation. Even if I weren't a lefty I would have an ambi safety for weak hand operation.

Using your trigger finger OR strong hand thumb to acuate the safety is asinine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a molded kydex holster that keeps the safety from being bumped off rather well.   Same gun (right sided carry) in another holster it does get bumped off safe occasionally.
View Quote

My Desert Warrior carried in a DeSantis Scorpion had that particular problem, where my New Agent carried in the same holster never had that problem. So I standardized it with Colt WW1 style thumb safety to match up. No more problem.

Outside of something like a Safariland duty holster, which holsters for 1911s will cover the thumb safety paddles on both sides?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#25]
While not a true 1911 the only one that I have removed was from my sig 938.  It hit the top of my strong hand and would either not come off or make it very uncomfortable to shoot.  Wife is a lefty so I bought her one of her own. Only my TRP has an ambi safety that remains intact, it's big enough that I don't have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:28:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
While not a true 1911 the only one that I have removed was from my sig 938.  It hit the top of my strong hand and would either not come off or make it very uncomfortable to shoot.  Wife is a lefty so I bought her one of her own. Only my TRP has an ambi safety that remains intact, it's big enough that I don't have to worry about it.
View Quote

Funny, my TRP is my only ambi safety pistol as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to love them. I am left handed but generally shoot right handed.

I own one with an ambi safety and I will likely eventually remove it.

The other 3 have regular safety's and I have learned to adapt to the gun when shooting left handed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Lefty here.

I need one to properly use a 1911 without my support hand. My fingers do not flex in a manner that allows easy use of a left side only safety.

My fingers can easily use the magazine release on every button type gun I've touched (basically every major design except those damned HK paddles), and hit the slide release (except factory glock, most of the time).

Haven't had an issue with my ambi safety, but knowing that it will eventually fail, I minimize detail stripping the gun, and keep an eye on the feel of it during function checks after cleanings. This way I can get replacement parts ready to go.

Like another guy above, never had any trouble using the safety on a glock haha.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I shoot with both hands. I've noticed that in my right hand there are no issues. When I am shooting a Springfield Operator in the left hand I can actually squeeze the pistol hard enough the safety begins riding up on its own but I have to squeeze the snot out of it. This is because of the type of safety Springfield is using.

The type used on the Kimber gives me no problems. If you have smaller hands than mine you may not have an issue at all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My Desert Warrior carried in a DeSantis Scorpion had that particular problem, where my New Agent carried in the same holster never had that problem. So I standardized it with Colt WW1 style thumb safety to match up. No more problem.

Outside of something like a Safariland duty holster, which holsters for 1911s will cover the thumb safety paddles on both sides?
View Quote

It does not cover both sides.   It covers the left side (facing me, I carry right handed), and I warmed it up and molded it around the safety slightly.   Draws and holsters smoothly, but keeps the exposed side of the ambi from being bumped off safe throughout the course of the day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I kept knocking it off safe.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#32]
0 issues with me, I like having an ambi safety.  Not enough to install one if the gun didn't come that way though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I like ambi on my IPSC guns

I like non-ambi on my carry guns

I prefer Ed Brown  

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#34]
My "Loaded" came with one. I shot/carried it so much that I wore out the slide stop to the point it could be pushed out of the frame with the barrel locked in place, round in chamber, condition (1)... That pistol has certainly seen some use. And not once did the ambi-safety get lose or wiggle. Carried in a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster. YMMV...
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I found very few holsters thàt are designed for cocked and locked with extended safety and ambitious extended safety. Falcon corvus and tauga leather were the only two that worked for my Springfield Armory stainless loaded. A holster molded for extended amb-safety with thumb strap is what I was looking for.  There are many speed type holsters with no strap by many holster makers though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#36]
When i had my SVI Infinity built i made sure to include one.

5k rounds later i don't think I've ever used it.

Same for my Springfield GI.  Bought it as a base gun to build a idpa competition gun and i don't recall using it either
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have never had an issue with an Ambi because I always remove them first thing..
View Quote

That's what I was going to say, at least on a 1911. On other kinds of pistols that I use for personal protection, I don't really care how they come - I don't use the ambi safety under any conditions but it doesn't bother me. On the 1911, it bothers me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have them on my 1911s.  Wife is a southpaw,  so that is the reason.  Never had one come out of safe as i carry it, nor develop a wiggle.
View Quote

This, except im a southpaw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top