Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2017 10:56:17 PM EDT
It looks like I might be able to swing myself a new Colt Commander...but I'm torn between the Wiley Clapp stainless one, and the Colt Combat Commander. I really like the checkering on the WC guns but I'm not sure it's worth the almost $300 premium the stainless Clapp seems to be bringing to the table...And, in a lot of ways, I actually like the S80 system. Colt seems to have it all worked out, and I do appreciate a good firing pin safety that doesn't make the trigger pull any real appreciable amount heavier.

I don't give a fig about "collectability"...that goes out the window as soon as I sweat all over it My future plans for the gun would include an extended/threaded barrel for suppressor use, and maybe fitting it with night sights. It would be a carry piece, and if it works out, probably my primary carry piece. It will probably replace my HK45C, which I love...but every time I shoot it and then shoot a 1911, I always wonder why I bother with the 45C since I shoot the 1911 so much better with so much less effort put into it.

Given all of that...can anyone think of a reason why I should get the stainless WC over a standard current production Combat Commander?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:33:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The wiley clapp has better checkering and better sights IMO But a worthless TS. Also I have no use for the series 80 personally so wouldn't really consider a combat commander at all..
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get the WC since you mentioned running a suppressor, upgrading sights, and you like the checkering.  The front sight is staked on the S80 and dovetailed on the WC.  You will end up paying more to get the front sight milled by a gunsmith and maybe refinished.  If you ever want to add stippling to the front strap you're looking to spend quite a bit more. 'Buy once, cry once' is especially true in 1911's. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would get the WC since you mentioned running a suppressor, upgrading sights, and you like the checkering.  The front sight is staked on the S80 and dovetailed on the WC.  You will end up paying more to get the front sight milled by a gunsmith and maybe refinished.  If you ever want to add stippling to the front strap you're looking to spend quite a bit more. 'Buy once, cry once' is especially true in 1911's. You get what you pay for.
View Quote

Umm, it's dovetailed on the new Combat Commander as well...

Colt's new Combat Commander
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Difficult decision. Put me in the camp of those who appreciate/actually prefer the S80 firing pin safety. I own 1911s with and without and there isn't a nickle's worth of difference in trigger feel. I'll take drop safe on a carry gun when possible. And yeah, I still work my non-S80 guns into the carry rotation.

S80 parts debate aside I would probably still go with the Combat Commander. If you're going to carry it and mark it all up with real carry wear (which always looks fantastic IMO) why pay the extra money for the WC? On the other hand, there's something to be said for serious carry wear on a premium gun. And the improved checkering might be very useful if you ever actually need to use your carry gun. I don't think you'll go wrong either way you choose, which is a nice problem to have.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Difficult decision. Put me in the camp of those who appreciate/actually prefer the S80 firing pin safety. I own 1911s with and without and there isn't a nickle's worth of difference in trigger feel. I'll take drop safe on a carry gun when possible. And yeah, I still work my non-S80 guns into the carry rotation.

S80 parts debate aside I would probably still go with the Combat Commander. If you're going to carry it and mark it all up with real carry wear (which always looks fantastic IMO) why pay the extra money for the WC? On the other hand, there's something to be said for serious carry wear on a premium gun. And the improved checkering might be very useful if you ever actually need to use your carry gun. I don't think you'll go wrong either way you choose, which is a nice problem to have.
View Quote

That's kind of where I'm at - while I appreciate the WC's setup (and stainless is always nice to have on a gun you might carry)...compared to the combat commander, I'm not sure the value is there...and the CC starts as a stainless gun anyway, that they finished over (if the detail paper is to be believed).
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Ignore the price & make your decision. Which one does your hand tell you fits the best? Go with that one, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the WC uses a NM barrel as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top