Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2017 2:02:18 PM EDT
Purchasing the new STI Carry Comp tomorrow. It will be my first 2011. My only experience is with 1911s.

STI Carry Comp

Anything specific that needs to be known about 2011's vs 1911's, and STI in particular? I know they make outstanding firearms.

Any info is appreciated!

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy lots of ammo. I've never shot a handgun more frequently than my 2011. Dawson toolless one piece guide rod to make cleaning so much easier after all the shooting you'll be doing. Didn't see that came with the STI recoil master system. MBX mags are very nice and worth the money IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discard the STI recoil master into the trash, before firing a shot.

reloading 40 like to be long.
45 and 9  a ok fact length.

for 9 mags go SV.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

for 9 mags go SV.
View Quote

Yep.  Though I've had good enough luck with 9mm and .38 Super STI factory mags.  I don't personally see the need to buy MBX or other expensive pre-tuned mags unless you're going to be shooting competition.  

Sometimes the slide stop will lock the slide back with one round left in the magazine.   In that case, the slide stop will need tweaking to lock back properly.

I've heard of at least one problem with failures to eject with the Carry Comp.   Despite the high price, I don't think you really get a true semi-custom level pistol from STI on the order of, say, Wilson. However, if you run into issues, they are supposed to be pretty good about taking care of them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice.  What caliber you getting?   Be sure to post lots of pics when you get it.
Got nothing to add.  I kept the recoil master in mine.  Meh, just makes it a pain in the dick to take apart.  I wont replace it at 25k.   Like Ken, I've had good luck with STI factory mags.  I just cut springs to fit and replace as necessary.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an STI Tactical 4.15" 2011 in 9mm. Shot it in limited class USPSA and occasionally carried it.

Very accurate, very fast pistol to shoot. Good trigger, good grip, etc.

Ran like a sewing machine for a few thousand rounds at a time, then would chronically malfunction. STI would send parts and it would work again for a while. Ended up sending it in to STI twice. Sold it when it came back the second time.

Great pistol when it ran reliably, but not fun to take to a match and have multiple malfunctions during the day.

Now I compete with the same Glocks that I carry and all is well in the world.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my DVC 3 gun.  It didn't run perfectly, especially with light competition loads so I had to swap out recoils springs for a lighter one. Also magazines are finicky and expensive. Some don't lock back on the last round, some lock back with one round left. I haven't quite figured it out. be prepared to spend anywhere from $60-$160 per mag. That adds up quick especially if you are trying to outfit a competition belt. Despite the problems I love the gun.  It feels great, perfect balance, and is a tac driver.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice.  What caliber you getting?   Be sure to post lots of pics when you get it.
Got nothing to add.  I kept the recoil master in mine.  Meh, just makes it a pain in the dick to take apart.  I wont replace it at 25k.   Like Ken, I've had good luck with STI factory mags.  I just cut springs to fit and replace as necessary.
View Quote

I got the. 45 ACP version. Just bought it via gunbroker with next day air shipping. Should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

for 9 mags go SV.
View Quote

Good advice here, though I've never heard of needing to use SV mags in 9mm.  The guys I know locally who shoot 9mm major in Open are using MBX mags or tuned STI tubes with aftermarket guts.

Post a range report up once you get to shoot it some.  The Carry Comp is a really interesting gun to me, but I've never had the chance to put my hands on one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I ran my STI Executive .40 box stock with 9 factory magazines in Limited and 3-Gun.  Outstanding accuracy, reliability and the softest shooting .40 S&W (I hate the .40 S&W).  The factory magazines worked flawlessly to my surprise.  I reloaded my .40 to the top of the OAL and never had a failure.  Grease it up with their synthetic oil and shooting fast and hard.

I'd say that comp will keep your front sight locked on target making splits insanely fast.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
What's old is new again.

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It arrived!

Man, I'm blown away with how nice this thing is! Cant wait to shoot it!

2017-02-10_11-20-18 by The One and Only "B"!, on Flickr

2017-02-10_11-20-28 by The One and Only "B"!, on Flickr

2017-02-10_11-20-39 by The One and Only "B"!, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]
looks great! I'm waiting for a 9mm 5" tactical, but have had the 4" in 45 and a 6" custom build in 40. If you don't mess with the mags to get extra rounds they seem to have no problem. it's when you dick with them for a match that you get burned.

shoot it lots and lots and let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow - that thing is pretty.  Looks like $$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Gorgeous!

Nice attention to detail. The way they tri-topped the barrel to match the slide.

Didn't know it was also a sight tracker design. Even better - at least in theory - for tracking the sights through recoil
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#15]
What's the grip frame made of? Looks fucking hot
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's the grip frame made of? Looks fucking hot
View Quote

2011s have a metal frame with a modular grip (includes the trigger guard and houses the trigger) that slides on and attached with the top 2 screws in the grip and the screws in the trigger guard. The bottom 2 screws are purely for aesthetics. STI grips are polymer. Infinity and a couple other places make metal grips as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#17]
That's cool. What's the weight? Any pics of them disconnected?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It arrived!

Man, I'm blown away with how nice this thing is! Cant wait to shoot it!

2017-02-10_11-20-18 by The One and Only "B"!, on Flickr

2017-02-10_11-20-28 by The One and Only "B"!, on Flickr

2017-02-10_11-20-39 by The One and Only "B"!, on Flickr
View Quote

Best of luck with it, it truly looks awesome ! Hope it runs a great as it looks and I'm confident It will.

I was blown away with the MSRP of the pistol though...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's cool. What's the weight? Any pics of them disconnected?
View Quote

My limited gun with plastic grip and brass magwell weighed around 42oz last time I had it on a scale. Roughly the same neighborhood as a 5" 1911.

Next build has a steel grip and is a sight tracker. Should be adding ~8 oz
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#22]
So how's this shoot? I'm surprised by your collection you didn't go 9mm
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Put 250 rounds thru the Costa Carry Comp today. Zero issues, and dead on.

Would've shot more but didn't bring anymore ammo.

Did I mention that this thing is a pain to take apart? The Recoil Master requires some.....finesse and finger strength to get locked down to take out.

Other than that, very satisfied with my first 2011.....this could be addicting. Already eyeing an STI DVC 3-Gun.

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#25]
If it will work with a regular guide rod, I'd throw that recoilmaster in the trash.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the costa 5.0 in dlc coating and absolutely love it. It's a phenomenal shooter. I haven't had any problems with my mags, even the few that I ordered afterwards, well no problems other than the ridiculous price tag for them. I will say though the mags are the Achilles heel of the 2011 so watch a video from dawson precision in regards to tuning them if you have any problems. It's very simple and well worth it, they even sell a kit to make it easier on yourself. The pliers in the kit can be found on amazon for like 8 bucks too, and that's really all you need. Have a good time running it, I have about a thousand rounds through mine without any issues.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#27]
O and it will loosen up after like 400 rounds and will be a breeze to take apart
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#28]
One of my favorites, couldn't help it
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If it will work with a regular guide rod, I'd throw that recoilmaster in the trash.
View Quote

That's the first thing most STI owners end up doing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#30]
It's funny you ask as my college age daughter just sent this picture of her target and quarter that she shot at the local indoor range. Seems that one of the young men wanted to take her shooting. He brought his STI Trojan to teach her to shoot. What he did not know is she shoots a pistol quite well. When she out shot him and his friend, they put a quarter on the target. She told me she hit it the first time.
They were shooting at about 20 yards. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to see their faces.

Her opinion of the Trojan was very favorable. she is quite familiar with the Dan Wesson Silverback, Kimber and Colt. I wish I could give you more details but the picture of the young lady's target speaks volumes for accuracy.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Reminds me of my older daughter around 15 or 16 at the time shooting cigarette butts with a Ruger 10/22 at
20 paces without Issue...Gotta love that feeling of "that's daddy's girl" !

Congrats to all Dads that teach their kids to shoot and shoot safely, especially their daughter(s).
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Reminds me of my older daughter around 15 or 16 at the time shooting cigarette butts with a Ruger 10/22 at
20 paces without Issue...Gotta love that feeling of "that's daddy's girl" !

Congrats to all Dads that teach their kids to shoot and shoot safely, especially their daughter(s).
View Quote

Sorry about going off topic a bit...Back to the STI 2011, going help my Son to build two custom 2011's in three
separate calibers : 9mm NATO, 38 Super Comp, and .45 ACP .

That STI 2011 Costa Comp is so sexy and exotic though...gotta love it .
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#33]
What did you end up paying for it?  Love the gun!  I have 2 STI's with two more in the works.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Did it feel like follow up shots were easier with the comp and sight tracker?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:40:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Did it feel like follow up shots were easier with the comp and sight tracker?
View Quote

Yes, how was the sight tracker?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Just handled this model today and was extremely impressed. For the type of shooting I do it is perfect. Can't handle the price though. Looked for a good deal on a 4" Threaded Tactical forever and ended up finding a couple 5" guns instead. Going to use them for matches and a suppressor host. The carry comp balanced really well and I would love to try a little sight tracker like that. The steel matches I shoot allow a comp for limited so this would be a great fit.

It costs more than I paid for both Tacticals though so I have a hard time swinging it as it just doesn't seem like that much more gun to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top