Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2017 10:52:14 AM EDT
I received a Colt 100th Anniversary Edition 1911 as a gift a few years ago.  I'm left handed, so the single sided safety doesn't work for me, and I start bleeding at the first shot due to the narrow tang on the grip safety, as opposed the the beaver tails ubiquitous on modern 1911s.  I've unsuccessfully searched for an ambidextrous safety that mimics the look of the original safety.  Is there such a thing on the market that I'm just missing?  Also, any recommendations on a relatively low profile beaver tail that would be compatible with the standard hammer?  I assume I'd need a gunsmith to fit these parts, but my only extensive handgun history is with Glocks, so I'm not sure.  It would be nice to be able to install parts on this pistol myself!

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Something like a "tactical" ambi (Ed Brown) may be what you're looking for.

I swapped out my standard hammer for a commander hammer; most (all?) beavertails are countersunk even for commander hammers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Meuschke is what you're looking for, I haven't seen them in a while though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw on another forum, that these guys may have a couple. http://summitarmsservices.com/
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I really like that Meuschke!  I guess I'll keep an eye out for one of those, and if I get too impatient I'll just get a readily available ambi safety and trim the giant wings down to my liking.

I'm also debating just getting a replacement hammer and trimming the spur down a bit until it stops biting me.  I want to retain as much as the original style as possible, but want to be able to shoot without getting injured!  You guys might not be surprised to hear that I can shoot this gun noticeably more accurately than my two Glock 21s, even though I have about 100 rounds through the Colt and about 10,000 rounds through the two Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, the Ed Brown Tactical ambi-safety is the best option.

As for hammer bite, you need a Commander hammer and drop-in grip safety.  There are few options for a Colt.  Wilson Combat has all the drop-in components you'll need.  The best option (IMHO) is to pick a grip safety you like and have a gunsmith fit it with the ambi-safety and trigger job.

I know it sounds like a lot but hear me out.  You want a gun to fit your hand and is enjoyable to shoot.  A stock 100th Anniversary will look fantastic with a fitted grip safety, ambi-safety and a ring style hammer.  The better the gun feels, the better you will shoot.

I buy a stock gun for project - They never stay stock.  I want my guns to shoot and shoot fast.

Just my $.02,

Fazer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top