Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2016 12:59:48 PM EDT
I guess I have odd taste, seems like no one makes an all steel 4" 1911.

Anyone have suggestions? I can't seem to find any.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh. Colt Commander.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Kimber.

I think it would be the Custom Carry II.  And there might be some other choices in Kimber.  

And yeah, you got Colt.  Dan Wesson makes one I think.  Sig...  actually, I think you're more likely to try and figure out who doesn't.  I'm not sure springy makes one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Range officer champion?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Uh. Colt Commander.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh. Colt Commander.

The one I handled with a blued finish was alloy framed. I think the stainless finish is the only all steel one.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you checked Springfield or Dan Wesson?  I thought they both made them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I checked Springfield and didn't see anything. DW isn't really in the cards right now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I checked Springfield and didn't see anything. DW isn't really in the cards right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about Rock Island Armory?  There are a ton of 1911 manufacturers out there....there has to be someone that makes one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt 1991a1 Commander, all steel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger makes an all steel Commander
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I just traded off a SA GI Champion. All steel. If you can find one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Springfield makes several all steel champions.  Both in stainless and in blued.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
You aren't looking hard enough. Did colt change something because unless it said lightweight it was a steel frame.

Armscor/Rock Island
Kimber
Springfield
Colt
Para

Pretty sure Remington and Smith too.

If you can't find any I can go find part numbers but if you look you will find plenty.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The one I handled with a blued finish was alloy framed. I think the stainless finish is the only all steel one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh. Colt Commander.

Absolutely not accurate.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/1991-Series
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
SIG
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

An excellent one too...!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the stainless 1991 and love it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Seriously weird,  I am wanting a decent alloy frame commander and everything that comes up for sale in my area is steel.

Colt Commander or "Combat Commander" depending on vintage.
Most Ruger Commanders (the lightweight ones just came out a couple months ago)
Kimber Pro HD  (HD = Heavy Duty = steel frame)
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Absolutely not accurate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh. Colt Commander.

Absolutely not accurate.

Interesting. The only one so far I've ever seen that's all steel in my area was a Sig Emperor Scorpion.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Sig Sauer, traditional 1911,  lots of features.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-traditional-compact-stainless.aspx

I've been considering one of these myself.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Did Colt stop making the Combat Commander? That's the all steel 1911 that I had back in the late 1990's. I always hated aluminum pistols, like I hate plastic ones now. I've moved up from Colts to Kimbers and now to DW 1911's, so I don't know if Colt still makes the Combat Commanders now. I know that Kimber makes all steel Commander sized pistols in the Pro Carry series.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seriously weird,  I am wanting a decent alloy frame commander and everything that comes up for sale in my area is steel.

View Quote

Not necessarily. I have owned the Kimber Pro Carry (no HD) all stainless steel 1911 and the Kimber Eclipse (no HD)  blackened, all stainless steel 1911 and more recently the Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor (no HD) all stainless steel 1911 pistol. The HD designation doesn't refer to steel frame because a lot of their other 1911 pistols have steel frames without the HD designation. .
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can vouch for that!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Did Colt stop making the Combat Commander? That's the all steel 1911 that I had back in the late 1990's. I always hated aluminum pistols, like I hate plastic ones now. I've moved up from Colts to Kimbers and now to DW 1911's, so I don't know if Colt still makes the Combat Commanders now. I know that Kimber makes all steel Commander sized pistols in the Pro Carry series.
View Quote

I think they are just rollmarked "Commander", where the aluminum framed guns are marked "Lightweight Commander" now.  They make each model in batches, I'm told, so don't think they have necessarily discontinued something if you can't find any locally.

Personally I'd rather have a Lightweight Government than a Combat Commander.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. I have owned the Kimber Pro Carry (no HD) all stainless steel 1911 and the Kimber Eclipse (no HD)  blackened, all stainless steel 1911 and more recently the Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor (no HD) all stainless steel 1911 pistol. The HD designation doesn't refer to steel frame because a lot of their other 1911 pistols have steel frames without the HD designation. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he is correct. The HD became a thing because those models were originally introduced with aluminum frames so the HD allowed you to differentiate steel and aluminum in the models where both were options.

Not all models carry the HD because they were already steel frame guns to begin with. He was pointing out that particular model as a example. Unless they changed something recently all HD models are steel frames only.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Not sure if you wanted 9mm or not:

http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-series/tcm-rock-standard-ms-hc-combo-22tcm-9mm/

Looks like you might have even more choices if you want to go with an officer frame.  It sounds like budget is a concern too, eh?

I think this one is all steel, .45 and 4.25" barrel, normal height frame.  Very reasonably priced and RIA has had a pretty good rep for lower budget 1911's.  

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-standard-ms-45acp/
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Wilson, Baer, Brown, Nighthawk, Guncrafter, Springfield, Colt, Rock Island, Ruger, Dan Wesson, Kimber, STI, who doesn't make a 4-4.25" all steel 1911?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Just about all of the major manufacturers and all of the custom builders offer a 4/4.25" steel commander.  I think the question you're asking is who makes one within your budget constraints?  If so, what is your budget?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just about all of the major manufacturers and all of the custom builders offer a 4/4.25" steel commander.  I think the question you're asking is who makes one within your budget constraints?  If so, what is your budget?
View Quote

That might be a better way to ask it. About 1K.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#29]
You can't get a wesson for a grand?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not sure if you wanted 9mm or not:

http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-series/tcm-rock-standard-ms-hc-combo-22tcm-9mm/

Looks like you might have even more choices if you want to go with an officer frame.  It sounds like budget is a concern too, eh?

I think this one is all steel, .45 and 4.25" barrel, normal height frame.  Very reasonably priced and RIA has had a pretty good rep for lower budget 1911's.  

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-standard-ms-45acp/
View Quote

Have one of these waiting on me to pick up when I get back home to Wyoming.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't do fish scales.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.

More info that would have been helpful at the beginning.

What exactly are you looking for and what do you not want? Which companies have you looked through?

So far we've got 1911 commander, steel frame, $1000 budget, no smith and wesson.

Springfield Range Operator Champion
Kimber
Pro Carry HD II
Pro TLE II
Stainless Pro TLE II
You can even get the Pro TLE RL II TFS all tactical railed up and ready to be quiet

Just about anything Armscor makes is in your price range.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.

Neither does Wesson, so you have that going for you, which is nice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.

Yeah, this is starting to get irritating.  What in the heck is he talking about?  I don't know how low you can get a Wesson for, but I didn't think they had "fish scales" on them.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But maybe you CAN'T get a wesson for a grand.  I wasn't sure or not.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Used to be, when I was buying/carrying Colts, the "Commander" was an aluminum frame gun and the "Combat Commander" was a steel framed gun.  

My Combat Commander is steel framed (and almost 40 years old).
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah, this is starting to get irritating.  What in the heck is he talking about?  I don't know how low you can get a Wesson for, but I didn't think they had "fish scales" on them.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But maybe you CAN'T get a wesson for a grand.  I wasn't sure or not.  

http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dan-Wesson-Commander-Classic-Bobtail-500x333.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.

http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dan-Wesson-Commander-Classic-Bobtail-500x333.png

Locally someone sold a Valor for about $1095 after sitting on the board for a week with no bites, and they still have a PM-9 up for around the same amount.   So, I'd say it's not unreasonable to say you could get a DW for a grand.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Locally someone sold a Valor for about $1095 after sitting on the board for a week with no bites, and they still have a PM-9 up for around the same amount.   So, I'd say it's not unreasonable to say you could get a DW for a grand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.

That would definitely be a good choice.  I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.

To be fair there is no way to know if Wesson meant Smith and Wesson or Dan Wesson. If the full name was used there would have been no question.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

To be fair there is no way to know if Wesson meant Smith and Wesson or Dan Wesson. If the full name was used there would have been no question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do fish scales.

AAaaaaaaaaah.  I thought maybe I was missing something.  I should've been more clear.  I forgot that Smith and Wesson uses fish scales for some of their guns.  I don't know how many models they do that on though......
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
AAaaaaaaaaah.  I thought maybe I was missing something.  I should've been more clear.  I forgot that Smith and Wesson uses fish scales for some of their guns.  I don't know how many models they do that on though......
View Quote

Damn near all of them
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Those goofy guys.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Commanders don't work for you?

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I've got the steel Ruger CMD commander it's a nice pistol for the price, would buy another.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I love my DW.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Ruger "Night Watchman" if you want one in black. It will be my next 1911
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#47]
You can pick one of these up pretty inexpensively, used, with very little use on them. Some don't care for Series 80 pistols. I have a few 70's, pre 70's and 80's. No issues with any of them.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ruger "Night Watchman" if you want one in black. It will be my next 1911
View Quote

That's what I got, like the night sights
Ruger Talo CMD
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Dan Wesson VBOB or go home.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#50]
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_141/products_id/36335/Colt+O4691+1991+Series+7+1+45ACP+4.25%22

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_141/products_id/36433/Colt+O4091U+1991+Series+7+1+45ACP+4.25%22

Bud's still has some of the 1991 Colt Commanders in stock. If Colt's web site is correct, this will be the last of these.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top