Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 11:22:17 AM EDT
Trying to decide between these two and having a hard time. The Colt is around $1400 and the Springfield would be around $800.

For that $600 premium with the Colt I appear to get Stainless frame/slide both with ion bond finish (as opposed to parkerized carbon steel), front strap checkering, front tritium sight and metal main spring housing.

Both have the accessory rail, stainless barrel and front cocking serrations.

This would be for range use only. Thoughts on if the $600 premium is worth it for the Colt? Anything else I'm missing that warrants the higher cost for Colt?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Range gun, I cant see paying the Colt price.

I do like undercut trigger guards, they are great for larger hands.

dual recoil system, Id most likely put in the old standard.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
These 2 guns aren't even in the same category IMO. A closer comp would be the SA TRP and CCU.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These 2 guns aren't even in the same category IMO. A closer comp would be the SA TRP and CCU.
View Quote

TRP is not available in 9mm that I can find. Honest question, what makes them in different categories other than price. The material difference with the colt being SS with ion bond?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks. Forgot to list the Colt was undercut and the dual recoil. Would be my first 1911 in 9mm and admittedly only experience with 1911 of any caliber is a Ruger sr1911.

Any others that would be better comparison in 9mm?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't imagine paying the Colt premium for a range toy like this.  The Springfield really nice, and they have been going for under $700 on GB.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Have your cake and eat it too! How about a comparably-priced Springfield 9mm?  The closest thing to a 9mm TRP to date.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-loaded-9mm/
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Lipsyes combat operator is the closest Springfield to the colt CCU. It is more expensive, however.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SFPE9209LP

I've got the CCU in 9mm. It is truly awesome. I have a Valor in 9mm as well, and I find the CCU to be faster in splits. I find the recoil impulse softer even. I'll chalk it up to the dual recoil spring.

The only thing with the CCU is that it seems to prefer Wilson etm 9mm magazines best or even my dw valor mags.  With my cmc power mags, they don't have a spacer at the rear and on a full mag I've had a few hangups stripping the top round. It's just something with the mag lips and the barrel feed angle. The colt mags work great but they are only 9 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go Colt, but I am biased.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my Colt O1072RG
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Appreciate all the replied and feedback so far. Still research as well. Perhaps the new Colt Competition model is closer to the SA offerings in that $800ish range. Coming from using striker fired and SAO Sig's, I am wanting to try a 1911 in 9mm.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]

For strictly a range gun I would look at the standard RO 9mm or the Colt Competition you mentioned.

Really no need to pay the extra for a light rail or wonder finish on a target gun IMO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

You're discounting a considerable amount that has been done to the Colt CCU.

Undercut trigger guard

25lpi front strap checkering

dual recoil spring

tritium night sights

Ionbond finish

You're getting a hell of a lot more features on the Colt, at a reasonable price for what those items would be later.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Undercut trigger guard

dual recoil spring

tritium night sights

Ionbond finish

You're getting a hell of a lot more features on the Colt, at a reasonable price for what those items would be later.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Undercut trigger guard

dual recoil spring

tritium night sights

Ionbond finish

The IonBond finish on a Colt is a deal breaker for me.  Aside from being an unnecessary expense on a stainless steel range gun, I haven't had a Colt yet that couldn't benefit from more dehorning and beveling than they give it at the factory.  And I don't want to cut through the IonBond to do it.

Also tritium sights are something of a step backward for a range gun IMO.  

I think it makes more sense to buy the RO and have it checkered if that's something one just has to have.

Of course it's a Colt which means you should be able to get your money back out of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Undercut trigger guard

dual recoil spring

tritium night sights

Ionbond finish

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Undercut trigger guard

dual recoil spring

tritium night sights

Ionbond finish

For a "range gun" features you do not need have zero value.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have never shot a 9mm 1911, I would start basic.  They are a very different experience.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd get the Colt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you have never shot a 9mm 1911, I would start basic.  They are a very different experience.
View Quote

Yeah I will be curious how they compare to the SAO Sig. That was a change coming from striker fired.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]

All it took was running a box of 9mm through a Star Model B to make me want a 1911 in that caliber. I have been looking at the Range Officer 9mm's at the gunshow the last time or two. If I ever get a 1911 with a rail it will be a MC Operator.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:05:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Undercut trigger guard

dual recoil spring

tritium night sights

Ionbond finish

Actually the value is there regardless of the intended use for the gun. The Colt CCU is one of the finest out-of-the-box offerings Colt has ever made and I think anyone would be hard-pressed to find fault in what the CCU offers out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone else have a Colt Combat Unit in 9mm? Looking for more reviews while I wait to get mine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a RO and for the time being its everything I need in a 9MM 1911, I don't do any sort of competitions or anything though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one in .45 (CCU) and the only things I'd think I'd want to change/wish were different is that I wish it had an Ed Brown beavertail with a higher frame cut on the rear...and, um...that's about it, actually. Everything else is just about spot on. Ok, if I were being nit-picky I'd probably prefer to have a standard notch rear sight with night lamps in it, vs the flat black wide notch that's on it now. But that's it, and it's an easy enough swap if I want to do that anyway.

My plan is to have a threaded barrel/suppressor sights put on it regardless..

Other than the lack of holsters for it, it's great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have one in .45 (CCU) and the only things I'd think I'd want to change/wish were different is that I wish it had an Ed Brown beavertail with a higher frame cut on the rear...and, um...that's about it, actually. Everything else is just about spot on. Ok, if I were being nit-picky I'd probably prefer to have a standard notch rear sight with night lamps in it, vs the flat black wide notch that's on it now. But that's it, and it's an easy enough swap if I want to do that anyway.

My plan is to have a threaded barrel/suppressor sights put on it regardless..

Other than the lack of holsters for it, it's great.
View Quote

Yeah I have been looking for holster options while I wait for it to come in stock at local store again. Seems the rail won't work with gcode OSH holsters which I like using.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top