Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2016 6:39:22 PM EDT
Doggone it.  I'm turning 45 this year, which I believe is a sign for what I need to get for my B-day.  I want a "nice" 1911.  At least Dan Wesson Valor, Les Baer PII or UTC nice.  I don't know that I can swing a Wilson, but I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers...

My problem is that I shoot noticeably better with an arched MSH.  I've had flat, I shoot low.  I put an arched housing in the pistol and I shoot to POA. But none of the higher end pistols come with an arched MSH.  On an old Kimber Classic, I don't mind a MSH that doesn't match the finish.  But if I'm dropping this kind of $$, I want it to be at least marginally pretty.  Or at least to match.  And I might want a mag well, making it even more difficult.  Forget it on a Baer, unless you want to throw out the warranty right out.  Wilson only seems to have their wedge.  Wesson doesn't list much in the way of custom options.  It looks like the only "custom" option that gets me there is an Ed Brown, which isn't on my list...

So what has happened to all of the arched mainspring housings in semi-custom pistols?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Doggone it.  I'm turning 45 this year, which I believe is a sign for what I need to get for my B-day.  I want a "nice" 1911.  At least Dan Wesson Valor, Les Baer PII or UTC nice.  I don't know that I can swing a Wilson, but I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers...

My problem is that I shoot noticeably better with an arched MSH.  I've had flat, I shoot low.  I put an arched housing in the pistol and I shoot to POA. But none of the higher end pistols come with an arched MSH.  On an old Kimber Classic, I don't mind a MSH that doesn't match the finish.  But if I'm dropping this kind of $$, I want it to be at least marginally pretty.  Or at least to match.  And I might want a mag well, making it even more difficult.  Forget it on a Baer, unless you want to throw out the warranty right out.  Wilson only seems to have their wedge.  Wesson doesn't list much in the way of custom options.  It looks like the only "custom" option that gets me there is an Ed Brown, which isn't on my list...

So what has happened to all of the arched mainspring housings in semi-custom pistols?
View Quote

Personal choice.

Shooters hit low with flat and arched is born.

If you have larger hands it may not matter (or even not be a good choice).

They are easy enough to change so not a big deal.

I still prefer metal over plastic.

Checkered over smooth or grooved.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Contact Keith at Dan Wesson. They do some custom work aside from their normal line. Perhaps they'll do an arched MSH for you.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
What you really want is a1911A1...little hand model with the baby seat  to shoot at the big table
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree I find the arched better, and another thing I hate is the lack of short trIggers on production guns- long fingers can still reach a short trigger but short fingers really need a short trigger for best performance
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:So what has happened to all of the arched mainspring housings in semi-custom pistols?
View Quote

From what I've seen, arched mainsprings went the way of anything except a beavertail.

You might not have it in time for when you turn 45, but what about an older Colt that's been worked over by a smith?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]

I love arched MSH with a medium trigger, so no off the shelf pistol is perfect for me.

I highly recommend Ed Brown's arched MSH.  It takes a bit of stoning to fit, but is a really nice part.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Smith & Alexander make a good number of types of arched housings.
They offer aluminum, steel, and stainless in grooved or checkered, and with lanyard loops for extra charge.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
EGW carries them -- with holes for lanyard loop if you like the retro look (which I do):

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Sarco carries usgi style mainspring housings for $16 if anyone is looking.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 Forget it on a Baer, unless you want to throw out the warranty right out.
View Quote

I had a Baer 1911 that was ordered directly from Baer with a S&A Arched MSH Magwell.It was added during the build of the pistol.
No issue there if you order direct or have 1911Heaven or your local ffl order for you.
Baer doesn't offer many options but a S&A Arched magwell was doable on the build sheet..
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had a Baer 1911 that was ordered directly from Baer with a S&A Arched MSH Magwell.It was added during the build of the pistol.
No issue there if you order direct or have 1911Heaven or your local ffl order for you.
Baer doesn't offer many options but a S&A Arched magwell was doable on the build sheet..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Forget it on a Baer, unless you want to throw out the warranty right out.

Good data, thank you.  I had been given bad information, then.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#12]
All of my 1911's have the arched mainspring housing.  I've used an assortment over the years.  Some slide right in, some need fitting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dust bin of history.  

Most folks prefer a flat MSH, but they are easy enough to swap out if you want.  (obviously easier on a stainless gun to match the finish)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top