Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2016 12:11:09 AM EDT
So, in addition to getting a ramped barrel and adjustable Novak's on my 10mm...I have fitted a smooth back S and A grip safety.  I've taken care of the grips and have done some minor tuning.  I need to fit the Harrison low radius firing pin stop and my Cylinder and Slide extractor and clean up the ejector and new extractor alignment on the back of the piece.

As a finishing step, I am thinking very seriously about having the slide black nitride finished by H and M nitride.  What are some other good nitride options out there?  I really like the idea of QPQing the slide as QPQ is beautiful and smooooooth.

Here is the mostly unmodded Delta ( I haven't done pics of the new grips safety yet )...but I want to take the plain Jane stainless as such:

I want it to look a lot like my Combat Elite that I have lightly modded:

Any opinions on Nitriding or other melonite or DLC finishes like QPQ are welcome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You want Sevrns Hard Hat treatment.

http://www.severnscustom.com/site/de42e8f2ad524f3c8639829a1de2b38f/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsevernscustom.com%2FHard_Hat_Treatment.html#2723
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like an excellent option.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]

I sent my slide off to have Ionbond DLC done at Evolution Armory. I should have it back soon.

I do wish that I'd remembered about the Hard Hat treatment, but don't know if it's better or not. Time will tell.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I sent my slide off to have Ionbond DLC done at Evolution Armory. I should have it back soon.

I do wish that I'd remembered about the Hard Hat treatment, but don't know if it's better or not. Time will tell.

View Quote

Are they part and parcel with Evolution Gun Works?

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
To my knowledge, no. I've never seen anything associating them with eachother.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

To me, a DLC is already head and shoulders about a coating....so, as long as it is done correctly, I am not sure how much difference there would be beyond some semantics.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Okay...I am now at about 98 percent done fitting the grip safety.  Took it for a test run after new fitment and tuning the slide stop a wee bit more.  ( I was having some nose hits on the slide stop.follower interface which was giving me a few premature lock opens at the last round instead of AFTER the last round...issue is now fixed )

I must say, I am NOT  a fan of extended anything in general...but, I am gonna give big props to my Smith and Alexander beavertail now that I have it fitted up to the tang.  It makes handling hotter 10mm loads a LOT EASIER!  

So, beyond the finish I have a couple of other questions.

First.  Pics of my 95 to 98 percent fit up of the Grip Safety.  I have a weeeeee little bit of final stoning and papering to final finish the fit and then I'll be blasting the frame in its entirety for a nice, grippy finish.  The upper, as I said will be black nitrided AFTER I fit a new barrel, sights, bushing, extractor and slide stop.  I'll also finish fit the ejector to the slide better.

Pics:

Again, I have another hour or so of work to it before I'll be able to call it "blastable" which will even out all of the lines and tone very nicely.  That won't happen until I finish and test fire and tune EVERYTHING.
So, I have a fast question for you gurus.

I am going to be fitting a fully ramped match 10mm barrel and bushing along with a new link and pin to the gun.  What I am also getting rid of in the process is the Colt Dual Spring setup.  I want to go to a heavier mainspring and recoil spring.  What weights of recoil and mainspring do you recommend for handling full power ( Buffalo bore, Underwood, etc. ) loads? NOTE: I am also fitting a light radius Harrison Design firing pin stop to slow down cycling a bit, so take that into account.  A Cylinder and Slide Extractor will also be fitted to the gun.  I'll do the FPS and the Extractor after I get the new barrel and sights installed.

I'll be getting the barrel and sights ordered at the end of this month and then it's off to the smith for about 6 or so weeks.  I have all of the other parts ready.

As always, "Thanks, folks!"

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay...I am now at about 98 percent done fitting the grip safety.  Took it for a test run after new fitment and tuning the slide stop a wee bit more.  ( I was having some nose hits on the slide stop.follower interface which was giving me a few premature lock opens at the last round instead of AFTER the last round...issue is now fixed )

I must say, I am NOT  a fan of extended anything in general...but, I am gonna give big props to my Smith and Alexander beavertail now that I have it fitted up to the tang.  It makes handling hotter 10mm loads a LOT EASIER!  

So, beyond the finish I have a couple of other questions.

First.  Pics of my 95 to 98 percent fit up of the Grip Safety.  I have a weeeeee little bit of final stoning and papering to final finish the fit and then I'll be blasting the frame in its entirety for a nice, grippy finish.  The upper, as I said will be black nitrided AFTER I fit a new barrel, sights, bushing, extractor and slide stop.  I'll also finish fit the ejector to the slide better.

Pics:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=91584

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=91585

Again, I have another hour or so of work to it before I'll be able to call it "blastable" which will even out all of the lines and tone very nicely.  That won't happen until I finish and test fire and tune EVERYTHING.

So, I have a fast question for you gurus.

I am going to be fitting a fully ramped match 10mm barrel and bushing along with a new link and pin to the gun.  What I am also getting rid of in the process is the Colt Dual Spring setup.  I want to go to a heavier mainspring and recoil spring.  What weights of recoil and mainspring do you recommend for handling full power ( Buffalo bore, Underwood, etc. ) loads? NOTE: I am also fitting a light radius Harrison Design firing pin stop to slow down cycling a bit, so take that into account.  A Cylinder and Slide Extractor will also be fitted to the gun.  I'll do the FPS and the Extractor after I get the new barrel and sights installed.

I'll be getting the barrel and sights ordered at the end of this month and then it's off to the smith for about 6 or so weeks.  I have all of the other parts ready.

As always, "Thanks, folks!"

View Quote

I dont shoot stuff that hot in any of my DEs; that said I don't have any with a ramped barrel. I've come full circle on the recoil spring setup from ditching the Colt assembly and using a 24# spring to using a lighter 20# spring with a heavier hammer spring and now I'm back to the OEM dual spring/consumable guide rod. I do run a flat base firing pin stop. Consider a standard weight 23# recoil spring and slightly heavier 25# hammer spring, if you need it. I doubt you will.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you.  I hear those figures ( or around those figures frequently ) and it does seem a good place to start.  Thank you.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
DLC... I am personally weary of the temperature that the "nitride" type finishes are applied at. I know lots of guns have been finished in that manner but I have never got comfortable with the idea of a 900-1000 degree finish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any opinions on Nitriding or other melonite or DLC finishes like QPQ are welcome.

DLC... I am personally weary of the temperature that the "nitride" type finishes are applied at. I know lots of guns have been finished in that manner but I have never got comfortable with the idea of a 900-1000 degree finish.

That IS something that has been bugging me.....I really need to get a few more data points on this before I commit.....

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC, nitride doesnt color anything its just phosphate on top of the surface treatment. If it were me, I'd probably go with cerakote or ionbond DLC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

IIRC, nitride doesnt color anything its just phosphate on top of the surface treatment. If it were me, I'd probably go with cerakote or ionbond DLC.
View Quote

Nitrides  are in a family of surface conversions that change the steel into a different structure right around the surface boundary ...they CAN be "clear" so to speak.  There are various types and colors creating different types of finish but in the same family.  
Phosphates such in parkerizing are a crystalline finish that grows from the surface.  It is intended to "hold" onto oil and grease by creating a lot of surface area for oil and grease to cling to.  this also makes a GREAT substrate for different paints.
I love cerakote but it has it's limits.  I use it as a secondary coating over/into park or unsealed anodizing.
I've been running a QPQ type nitride finish on one of my AR-10 bolts and DAMN is it spectacular.  I really want to go with a surface conversion BUT as Jason said, it's the temperature of the process when done OUTSIDE the boundaries of the OEM that is a bit disconcerting.  I am not saying it is good or bad......but I definitely want more info before I commit to it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm eagerly awaiting the finished project.

I love my CE and having a matching 10mm would be awake!
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the finished project.

I love my CE and having a matching 10mm would be awake!
View Quote
I start ordering more parts next week.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know much about material properties of steel, but isn't the tempering temperature of steel in the vicinity of  650 f ?
How would heating to 900 f not soften the steel?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't know much about material properties of steel, but isn't the tempering temperature of steel in the vicinity of  650 f ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have discovered HM NITRIDE does a secondary process where they re-treat right around 750.  I am gonna give 'em a call when I have everything ready for finishing.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#18]
All right.  I have ordered the last of the parts.  

Wilson Combat match 10mm ramped barrel and match bushing.  The ONLY reason I ordered a Wilson is because all of the other barrel manufacturers have the WORST websites in history OR distributors had the worst SELECTION of those barrels.  Otherwise I would have gone Kart or Schuemann.

Kensight "Novak Style" adjustable with contoured front ( .180 ).  These were the sights that I ended up with on the Fusion....and that gun gets the SHIT beat out of it.  The sights are holding up great so i am going with another pair.  We'll see how that goes.

I also ordered a 22 pound recoil spring and a 25 pound hammer spring.  Once shot in, the 2 should settle between about 19 and 20 pounds.  PERFECT.

I also ordered a set of Wilson links 1, 2, 3 etc. and some match grade link pins of various diameters.

I already have the flat bottom, lightly pre-radiused Harrison FPS and my usual Cylinder and Slide spring steel extractor....once I have the barrel fitted, then Ill finish up the read of the slide....and it's off to get nitrided after testing.

ETA:  email sent to HM Nitride.  Let's see what they say.  I asked them about the heat treat affectment of the QPQ process on the internal strength of my slide.

Very soon, this gun:

is gonna look like THIS gun:

but without the damn forward serrations.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top