Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2016 10:24:15 PM EDT
So I have a colt combat commander that I want to send to a custom shop to tweak out. It was slightly bubba'd but the frame and trigger are solid. So, what would you want done to it?

I was thinking of the following:

Full dehorn and a slight "melt" to mimic a used bar of soap feel
Grip safety replaced with an Ed brown or similar
Novak night sights
Flare and lower ejection port
I'm a lefty so an ambi safety moded on both sides to resemble gi safety
The blueing is going so have it redone in hard chrome. Polished flats and bead blasted on the rest of the surfaces

I was thinking of adding a couple of cosmetic features as well:
Top slide arrow cut
Trim line at the top of the slide where it starts to curve

Basically, this would be my bbq gun but I also want it to be my go to if I could only have one handgun for the rest of my life.

So, what would you want? If you have one already, post a picture.

V
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Add ball cuts
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
25 LPI frontstrap checkering, Short GI trigger, Arched steel mainspring housing, Traditional round commander hammer, Beavertail grip safety with pad, Trijicon HD orange sights, proper two-tone ( chrome frame, blued slide), and GI safety. Oh and GI short recoil guide rod set up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Replace the top end with either an officer or government length barrel and slide.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Dehorn
Lightweight frame
Delete ambi safety
Some sort of durable finish
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Reliability
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I have a colt combat commander that I want to send to a custom shop to tweak out. It was slightly bubba'd but the frame and trigger are solid. So, what would you want done to it?

Novak night sights
The blueing is going so have it redone in hard chrome. Polished flats and bead blasted on the rest of the surfaces

Top slide arrow cut

Basically, this would be my bbq gun but I also want it to be my go to if I could only have one handgun for the rest of my life.

V
View Quote

You asked for it.
1990's? era Enhanced LW Commander.  I've been carrying for 20 years.
It was a Franken-gun when I bought it in 1995.

First off, throw it down the driveway to get the patina right.
Enhanced frame with undercut under the triggerguard.
Ambi-safety.  I'm a lefty.  However I carried this righty for a year due to an elbow injury.
The usual internal parts to get the trigger pull smooth.  This trigger is 3.5 pounds.
Mag funnel.  I shot this gun in IDPA, IPSC, Bowling pins and Speed Steel to name a few.  Never bothered to take it off.
Ed Brown "wedge" MSH.  Out of production
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I've owned a Colt Combat Commander back when I first started collecting/shooting guns. I currently have a Kimber Pro Stainless Raptor(4" .45), DW Silverback(5" 10mm), and NHC Recon Enforcer(5" 10mm). I would sell off that Kimber in a heartbeat if I could find a good new Commander sized 1911 in 10mm. The Kimber is a good pistol, I'd just prefer a 10mm over a .45, and I really prefer the 4" barrel 1911 to the 5" 1911, just in 10mm. The Stainless Pro Raptor has most of the features I wanted out of the box. Match trigger, match barrel, throated chamber, polished feed ramp, grip safety with the bump, and night sights. The only things I added to it were a stainless Wilson Combat Bullet Proof magwell  (these really help with speed combat reloads), smooth maroon micarta grips (just feel better than the wood grips), and Wilson Combat flat wire spring and guide rod (supposed to extend the lifetime of the recoil spring). It's a really nice 1911, just not in 10mm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You asked for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/LWCommander_zps7671ea8d.jpg

Ambi-safety.  I'm a lefty.  However I carried this righty for a year due to an elbow injury.
The usual internal parts to get the trigger pull smooth.  This trigger is 3.5 pounds.
Mag funnel.  I shot this gun in IDPA, IPSC, Bowling pins and Speed Steel to name a few.  Never bothered to take it off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Novak night sights

Top slide arrow cut

V

You asked for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/LWCommander_zps7671ea8d.jpg

Did you write an article on this gun? I was surfing around, reading about commanders, and found one that looked VERY similar to yours. The wedge MSH is not usual so I thought it might be... (I hope this doesn't turn into a "call out" thread)

Do you have any pictures of the safety on the right hand side? This is exactly what I want for my safety so the more pictures i can provide to a smith, the easier it will be for me! :-)

Thanks!
V
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll take some right side pics soon.
The safety is a King's Gun Works.  It originally had the wide long levers.  I cut them down and rounded the ends.
Short and wide is good.  Easy to use with either hand.  I think King's went out of business though.

I don't think I ever wrote anything long winded about this pistol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The safety is a King's Gun Works.  It originally had the wide long levers.  I cut them down and rounded the ends.
Short and wide is good.  Easy to use with either hand.  I think King's went out of business though.

View Quote

Thanks! I think a lot of safeties can be modified in a similar way. The real question is finding a smith to do it and not have to wait two years...

I appreciate the pics when you get a chance. No rush! It will be a good long time before I get anyone to work on my commander. :-)

V
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks! I think a lot of safeties can be modified in a similar way. The real question is finding a smith to do it and not have to wait two years...

I appreciate the pics when you get a chance. No rush! It will be a good long time before I get anyone to work on my commander. :-)

V
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

Gawd that slide looks bad.  Needs another coat of BB paint.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Ruger Commander from time to time..  Put some Pachmyr girps on it and an arched mainspring housing and called it good.  Doubt I'll go any farther.  Trigger is decent, reliability and accuracy have been excellent.  I'm right handed so the ambi safety is a non-issue.  Night sights are a maybe someday thing.  Will be easy to do if I get to that point.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/DSC_3109_zps20chmplh.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/DSC_3109_zps20chmplh.jpg

Great! Thanks! thats exactly what I want.

v
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's what I would do.

Colt O1991 Commander (steel frame) .45ACP (I live in CA, otherwise I'd actually go 9mm for this.)

Flat bottom firing pin stop.
Trigger job. (Retain S80 parts)
Undercut trigger guard
Carry bevel package
25lpi EGW checkered mainspring housing (w/ recessed lanyard loop done by SACS)
No front strap checkering.
Round butt treatment (if compatible with the recessed lanyard loop addition, if not, then just the round butt treatment)
Novak .140" rear sight (black)
Novak tritium front
Beveled/polished mag well
Harrison medium length trigger
VZ grips (G10, double diamond, black cherry, beveled bottom, thumb scoop for mag well)
Flat black armory kote
French boarder cuts
EGW HD slide stop
Wilson Combat Concealment Grip Safety
Reliability package
Wilson Combat bulletproof safety of your choosing (I'd get the GI style one)

And whatever your favorite mag is.

I'd send it to Springfield Armory Custom Shop.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#15]
This (with Pachmayrs and a trigger job) was my carry gun until I got to the point it needed new springs.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#16]
When I carried mine it was set up this way:

1.  Bigger/better sights.
2.  ambidextrous thumb safeties
3.  beavertail grip safety
4. flat mainspring housing (my first 1911 is a 1911 and I just like flat mainspring housings)
5. Dwyer group gripper (really helped the groups shrink)
6. 8 round magazines
7. polished feed ramp
8. sear/hammer engagement surfaces polished

This was back in the early 80's and it was a great gun.  I really need to shoot it some.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

4. flat mainspring housing (my first 1911 is a 1911 and I just like flat mainspring housings)
6. 8 round magazines
7. polished feed ramp

This was back in the early 80's and it was a great gun.  I really need to shoot it some.
View Quote

Never heard of this thing before and ive been a 1911 fan for 15 years...

Dwyer group gripper - [youtube]http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xo4AAOSwd0BV59Io/s-l300.jpg[/youtube]

Does it really work?

v

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Defense package. (SACS)
Undercut trigger guard
Checkering
Night sights
Dehorn.
Wilson combat concealment hammer and grip safety.

Also, I came to prefer a LW frame on my commander for daily carry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some people say no, or there are better ways to do it.  What it does is use a different barrel link and a recoil spring with a flat spring inside it to push the barrel up into the locking recesses in the slide with consistency, so the back of the barrel is in the same spot every time.  My Chief (back in the early 80's) was so impressed with my Combat Commander he bought a Gold Cup, and then complained my gun shot better groups than his.

My youngest son was pretty happy with his Series 70 Colt till we shot some revolvers one day (DW and Ruger .44 magnums) and then he wasn't happy that the revolvers shot so much better groups than his 1911.  I bought/installed a Dwyer Group Gripper in his Series 70 and he was tickled to death with the group size reduction.

As they say, your mileage may vary, but they work for me.  I did have a link (the ledge where the spring pushes upwards) deteriorate in my Combat Commander so I ordered a replacement for it and that one still looks good.  No idea why the first one gouged up like it did (metal not heat treated properly???)

Dwyer group gripper - http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xo4AAOSwd0BV59Io/s-l300.jpg

Does it really work?

v

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6. 8 round magazines
7. polished feed ramp

Some people say no, or there are better ways to do it.  What it does is use a different barrel link and a recoil spring with a flat spring inside it to push the barrel up into the locking recesses in the slide with consistency, so the back of the barrel is in the same spot every time.  My Chief (back in the early 80's) was so impressed with my Combat Commander he bought a Gold Cup, and then complained my gun shot better groups than his.

My youngest son was pretty happy with his Series 70 Colt till we shot some revolvers one day (DW and Ruger .44 magnums) and then he wasn't happy that the revolvers shot so much better groups than his 1911.  I bought/installed a Dwyer Group Gripper in his Series 70 and he was tickled to death with the group size reduction.

As they say, your mileage may vary, but they work for me.  I did have a link (the ledge where the spring pushes upwards) deteriorate in my Combat Commander so I ordered a replacement for it and that one still looks good.  No idea why the first one gouged up like it did (metal not heat treated properly???)

Does it really work?

v

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does it really work?

v

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6. 8 round magazines
7. polished feed ramp

Does it really work?

v

I've never used one, but it's supposed to keep your barrel locked up tighter, so it's a cheaper way to get some more accuracy than a hard fit match grade barrel. I know in one of Bill Wilson's books he said that's what he did on his basic guns back when he was just fixing up Colts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Reliability check and work if needed
EGW or EE fire control parts set to 4.5# pull
Match barrel installation (Kart preferably)
25 or 30 lpi checkering and high cut
Dehorn
Heinie straight 8 night sights
Magwell bevel
Extended safety
Sensitized speed bump GS
IonBond or HC finish
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Not every one will like mine, maybe no one, but here is what I did.

Para Expert Carry, light weight commander.
Fit barrel bushing
Long trigger
Colt extended safety
Series 80 delete
High cut trigger guard, checkered front strap, Ed Brown beaver tail, and beveled mag well.  Cerakote after.
Thin VZ grips

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not every one will like mine, maybe no one, but here is what I did.

Para Expert Carry, light weight commander.
Fit barrel bushing
Long trigger
Colt extended safety
Series 80 delete
High cut trigger guard, checkered front strap, Ed Brown beaver tail, and beveled mag well.  Cerakote after.
Thin VZ grips

<a href="http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/daddgonemadd/media/KIMG0214_zpsq6abfi9p.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l545/daddgonemadd/KIMG0214_zpsq6abfi9p.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/daddgonemadd/media/KIMG0217_zpsct8ya8i0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l545/daddgonemadd/KIMG0217_zpsct8ya8i0.jpg</a>
View Quote

I've never shot a 1911 with a round butt, does it feel weird shooting it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:09:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Derr Precision did a build called "Off Duty Pony"  the only thing that I would change is to undercut the trigger guard.

I would like to do that to the 1985 SS Officers acp that I'm picking up for $700 but I will carry as one of my 3 pistols that Orange County CA will let me list on my CCW. One of the rules in order to carry a pistol is that you may not make any changes to it so the pistol will remain stock as I bought it
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#25]
My hands size causes the standard grip to poke into the heel of my palm.  The bob tail fits me better.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#26]
For me in 45ACP 1911s, I want night sights, a really good 4lb trigger, front strap checkering or Pachmayr American Legend grips, and a reliable gun. The rest is just "I want" and not "I need".

Colt LW Commander 45ACP

" />

STI Ranger II all Steel Commander

" />
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I might catch some flack for it but a rail, I need a light.  Winter in Alaska has some long dark days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#28]
" />

Bought this W. Clapp Commander used.

Previous owner changed out the thumb safety & put a shorter trigger on it. I left it at that, it's a very nice gun to shoot & carry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd bobtail the frame if that's possible. It hides the print of the gun some, and the corner of the gun digs into my palm.

Or I'd buy a left handed cabot. I have a couple but they won't bobtail the frame for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd bobtail the frame if that's possible. It hides the print of the gun some, and the corner of the gun digs into my palm.

Or I'd buy a left handed cabot. I have a couple but they won't bobtail the frame for some reason.
View Quote

I feel the same way, and did my own bobtail.  It's easy to do, see my pics for the results.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Realistically for an EDC?

I would keep it as simple as possible…in fact, it may not even be a commander by the time I was done…as I really like the short officers frame with the commander slide aka a CCO.

Novak sights

Lowered ejection port.

Tuned trigger,extractor, and feeding.

Flat MSH

Bevel sharp edges.

A good set of grippy grips.

Feed it a diet of 230 grain Ranger T's and call it a day.

That's about it.

As much as I would love to add a beavertail, oversized safety and slide release, checker the front strap, undercut the trigger, etc., etc., etc., the idea of my $2500-3500 dollar CCO being handled in an evidence room by people that don't care about my pistol kind of makes me sick to my stomach, as does the idea that I may not get it back.

I just want it to work, feel good in my hands, and be accurate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#32]
[URL=http://]

1950s commander

[URL=http://]

1970s combat commander

I also have a 1968 commander

love my ponys
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
[URL=http://]<a href="http://s449.photobucket.com/user/raw275/media/richspics022.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq217/raw275/richspics022.jpg</a>

1950s commander

[URL=http://]<a href="http://s449.photobucket.com/user/raw275/media/Copyofrichspics107.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq217/raw275/Copyofrichspics107.jpg</a>

1970s combat commander

I also have a 1968 commander

love my ponys
View Quote

Nice pistols!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Novak night sights

Top slide arrow cut

V
View Quote

This is of course horribly subjective to each person and their preferences.

When I had a commander it's final iteration looked like this (bad cell phone pic)

This was a S&W scandium commander 1911. Fairly loose gun, but always 100% reliable from the getgo, so my modifications became preferential stuff.
Short curved trigger
S&A magwell/MSH
Nighthawk Thumb safety (single sided)
VZ thin grips with thin bushings
Tritium front sight
10-8 rear sight
Skateboard tape on the front strap. But I prefer checkering

I enjoyed having the front cocking serrations but I can live without them.

I've paired it down now to just one 1911 and it's a full steel government model.  I don't miss my LW commander for one minute and I love carrying my 1911.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Full size aluminum frame, bob-tailed, no rail
Crimson Trace Grips to fit
Lowered and flared ejection port
Night sights, I only have experience with trijicon. Orange rear with green front
Skeletonized hammer and trigger, trigger tuned to 4lbs.

Pretty much my Dan Wesson Guardian
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I prefer a lightweight CCO but my Commander is my back up.  So for me it is a lightweight frame, high grip and extended grip safety, reliable, decent trigger, night sights.  My commander is 2 tone with wrap around grips because I lusted after a HiPower Practical when I was younger but I can go for checkered or serrated from strap.

uploading pictures" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top