Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 9:06:52 PM EDT
Has anyone ever sent their 1911 off to Colt for either the Tactical or Enhanced Reliability package?

Not asking about other custom gunsmiths, just Colt.  No particular reason other than it is a Colt gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest going to the Colt section at 1911forum.com. Lots of folks there, to include Brent, from the Custom Shop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever sent their 1911 off to Colt for either the Tactical or Enhanced Reliability package?

Not asking about other custom gunsmiths, just Colt.  No particular reason other than it is a Colt gun.
View Quote

Yup, I sent my S70 reissue to them for their Tactical package. Money well spent.

(sorry if it shows up upside-down )

I asked for 25lpi checkering, which they did, and fitted an Ed Brown beavertail, which I prefer to the S&A they normally fit.

To be brutally honest - if I had the same decision to make today, I would just buy a Colt Combat Unit in .45acp and call it a day - same thing, mostly, except you get a light rail as well. I believe the CCU has the reliability package already done to it (though I could be wrong). It'd also run a few hundred less...

I don't regret it at all, I just wish they made the CCU back when I had this done, then I could have had instant gratification instead of waiting 6 months for them to get to and do mine I believe the wait time is longer these days...
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard that the wait time is at like 24 months now.

I had mine done by the Springfield Armory Custom Shop, but honestly the Colt Custom Shop would've been my first choice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The only 'changes' I made to it after I got it back and a couple years of shooting it since, was I installed an extended ejector, and tightened up extractor tension. Colt likes to run extractors a bit loose...they work just fine, I would just get occasional brass-to-face every 40 or 50 rounds. Tightening up the extractor got it down to once every 70 or 80 rounds, and throwing in the extended ejector...well, it's been 300 rounds since then, and no brass to face yet
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only 'changes' I made to it after I got it back and a couple years of shooting it since, was I installed an extended ejector, and tightened up extractor tension. Colt likes to run extractors a bit loose...they work just fine, I would just get occasional brass-to-face every 40 or 50 rounds. Tightening up the extractor got it down to once every 70 or 80 rounds, and throwing in the extended ejector...well, it's been 300 rounds since then, and no brass to face yet
View Quote

I was told that the brass to the face was my grip, not my Colt. It is scratching my prescription glasses.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was told that the brass to the face was my grip, not my Colt. It is scratching my prescription glasses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of my others do it, USGI and other...so at least in my case, I know it was the gun Like I said, increasing extractor tension cured most of it, but not all...installing an extended ejector, so far, seems to have done the trick for mine. It's an easy install if you use a known good part, like Wilson or similar; the hardest part will be marking where to cut the divot for the pin, and then...well, cutting the divot without cutting the leg in half.

YMMV, my sample size of one may not apply to you, etc etc etc...
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Send it to a Full custom smith. You will get better work in the end for a Colt I would send it to JT Timmons personally or Timmons Precision..
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

None of my others do it, USGI and other...so at least in my case, I know it was the gun Like I said, increasing extractor tension cured most of it, but not all...installing an extended ejector, so far, seems to have done the trick for mine. It's an easy install if you use a known good part, like Wilson or similar; the hardest part will be marking where to cut the divot for the pin, and then...well, cutting the divot without cutting the leg in half.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like something beyond my schkills. Is that not a warranty issue? I have been told warranty work turn around time at Colt is not bad. I might call them on Monday.
Turn around time at local smiths in Dallas is ridiculous. I won't ship to a smith as it would be difficult to file a small claims lawsuit from out of state.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not difficult, it can be easily done with a file, notching the leg...there's plenty of info on it on the internet (search for installing an ejector)

Colt should also take care of it, but as far as I know their criteria is reliability...not fine-tuning ejection patterns. I'm sure you could ask them to replace the ejector with a larger one, though...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
So it looks like no one is having any problems with their work then?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top