Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2016 8:55:55 PM EDT
Okay.  I have a 2012 Delta Elite that I want to "hop up".  About a year ago, my roomie and I finished his Fusion 10mm with excellent results.  It's a damn beast!  We can run anything through it.  In fact, the meaner the better.

Here is a pic of that gun.  It sports a ramped barrel with excellent case support.  Accurate and accurate can be.  I want my Delta to run this strong.

The Fusion:

I do beleive it is a Wilson/Nowlin patter barrel.  I like it so much that this is the pattern I WANT to use.

Before we get to that:  here are a couple pics of the Delta in transition:

Original with VZ Grips:

Modded grips by 1911grips.com:

I am about 85 percent done fitting the Smith and Alexander grips safety.  I HATE speedbumps.  I hate EVERYTHING about them and will not run one.  So this is a gorgeous standard back beavertail:

So, it is time for my barrel.  I am gonna finish the beavertail this weekend and order the barrel and adjustable Novak's.

Before I go toooooo far, I want to know if anyone has any suggestions for good shooting ramped barrel and standard style match bushing combos.  Input would definitely be appreciated.

Thank you for your time, guys.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be looking hard at the KKM Wilson/Nowlin ramped bushing barrel.  $175

https://kkmprecision.com/product-category/1911/govt-5/bushing-govt-5/
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Bar- Sto would be my choice personally.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Is your Delta frame cut for a ramped barrel?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

[Yoda voice]It will be....

It will beeeee......[/Yoda voice]

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I am still open to ANY good suggestions.  Thank you to everyone that has participated.  Great feedback so far.

How about Nowlin?  I have used Nowlin parts many times and really like their fit and finish as I recall.  Right up there with Harrison.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am still open to ANY good suggestions.  Thank you to everyone that has participated.  Great feedback so far.

How about Nowlin?  I have used Nowlin parts many times and really like their fit and finish as I recall.  Right up there with Harrison.  
View Quote

I don't really have any complaints other than they tend to be more expensive than equally good barrels.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Schuemann Barrels:
Lissner, a barrel maker in Australia, modified the Clark/ParaOrd design to include a radius at
the critical maximum stress point. We introduced the Lissner modification into our
Clark/ParaOrd ramped barrels in about 1997. Since that time there has not been a single
Clark/ParaOrd/Lissner ramped barrel returned to us because of a broken lower lug while the slow
steady stream of broken Wilson/Nowlin lugged barrels continues. We won't claim that the
Clark/ParaOrd/Lissner ramp can never fail, but it is obviously stronger, and therefore inherently
more forgiving of sloppy gunsmithing, than the Wilson/Nowlin ramp design.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Schuemann Barrels:

Lissner, a barrel maker in Australia, modified the Clark/ParaOrd design to include a radius at

the critical maximum stress point. We introduced the Lissner modification into our

Clark/ParaOrd ramped barrels in about 1997. Since that time there has not been a single

Clark/ParaOrd/Lissner ramped barrel returned to us because of a broken lower lug while the slow

steady stream of broken Wilson/Nowlin lugged barrels continues. We won't claim that the

Clark/ParaOrd/Lissner ramp can never fail, but it is obviously stronger, and therefore inherently

more forgiving of sloppy gunsmithing, than the Wilson/Nowlin ramp design.

View Quote
Schuemann has a good pretty much legendary rep across the board and has for some time.  No doubt.

I'll give them a look!

Thank you, again, to everyone.  More input always welcome.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Springfield, duh.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Kart .
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Kart .
View Quote
My roomie and I resurrected a Gold Cup that had fallen into the paths of unrighteousness. We used a Kart barrel for and a custom bushing for the project.  Spooky accurate is a good way to describe it.  I have been considering kart BUT you have to go through a distributor to find on and by God I just can't stand the MESS that most websites are when it comes to what barrels they do and don't carry.

KKM shows the same picture for every barrel....LOL....I know that they are selling the right stuff but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that no one seems to update their websites very well.  Brownell's and Midway carry EXACTLY everything I am not looking for....as usual.  Storm Lake lists and doesn't list 10mm barrels at the same time...how do you DO that?  Shueman ( which I am very serious about ) is catching up on orders and they only list .40 cal short chambers.  Now, I am not abject to going with a short chamber BUT I am trying to omit some of the steps that could lead to errors so I would, in this case, rather a fully chambered gun.  I AM looking for a very accurate barrel BUT I want to balance reliability in the equation, also.

Don't get me wrong these aren't the things that are making or breaking me....it's just funny how, when you are looking to see all of the options.....they disappear right before your eyes.  LOL....

Either way, every barrel you guys have mentioned is top notch and I'd have a hard time going wrong with ANY of them.

Now.....there is a great question posed by the Schueman rep....Clark/Para vs Nowlin/Wilson???   .....it seems the Clark Para ramp is an "easier" fit with fewer machining steps compared to the Wilson....can anyone fill me in on the technical details?  I have read the Nowlin/Wilson prints and instructions.....but haven't stumbled across the Para/Clark info yet.

Opinions?

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]

That is one hot looking Springfield....and I am not into Springfields.
I'll have to tell you about "the Bitch" someday.  Whew....that is one long ugly story.  Suffice it to say that I learned that the Springfield Custom shop is amazing.....and that their standard production guns, for ME, are a crap shoot.  I'll never own another standard SA production gun.
Ahhhhh, the Bitch.  Even Colt grips didn't make her run right.  I literally replaced EVERY single internal part PARTS JUST KEPT BREAKING AND BREAKING AND BREAKING.  Worst 1911 I ever owned.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#14]
The main reason I would lean WN over CP ramp is that you leave yourself more options.  A gun with a WN ramp can later be cut for a CP style.  The CP uses one mill setup and two cuts, where the WN requires you to stand the frame on end for the 2nd cut.  

Barrel availability would be another consideration.  Schuemann tends to be the more expensive barrel and they seem to be chronically behind on orders.  Their AET innovations may have some value for someone but I personally don't see the value.  I suppose they may last marginally longer due to the TiN coating.  I have both AET and non AET barrels and they both shoot about the same AFAIK.  Kevin over at KKM learned to make barrels working for Schuemann, and they tend to be more availalble and shoot just as well as anything else.  

Most of what I've installed are Kart barrels and I like them a lot.  They could benefit from an online store.

If the barrel is properly installed (i.e., timed), I personally feel the durability difference is negligible or close to it.  STI uses WN and Infinity uses CP, and plenty of both styled guns have racked up impressive round counts.

I have no strong feelings either way, but from a gunsmith POV the CP cut is quicker to do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#15]
The ECM work on teh Nowlin barrels is great.

The bore looks like a mirror.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The ECM work on teh Nowlin barrels is great.

The bore looks like a mirror.

View Quote

Do you happen to have one?  ( fingers crossed ) How does it shoot?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The main reason I would lean WN over CP ramp is that you leave yourself more options.  A gun with a WN ramp can later be cut for a CP style.  The CP uses one mill setup and two cuts, where the WN requires you to stand the frame on end for the 2nd cut.  

Thank you.  This is the kind of info I am looking for.

Barrel availability would be another consideration.  Schuemann tends to be the more expensive barrel and they seem to be chronically behind on orders.  Their AET innovations may have some value for someone but I personally don't see the value.  I suppose they may last marginally longer due to the TiN coating.  I have both AET and non AET barrels and they both shoot about the same AFAIK.  Kevin over at KKM learned to make barrels working for Schuemann, and they tend to be more available and shoot just as well as anything else.  

Good to know.  I noticed that Schuemann tends to be behind a lot...but, there is certainly nothing wrong with having your product in demand, that is for sure.  I never hear a bad word about Schueman barrels.

Most of what I've installed are Kart barrels and I like them a lot.  They could benefit from an online store.

Count me in as a Kart fan.

If the barrel is properly installed (i.e., timed), I personally feel the durability difference is negligible or close to it.  STI uses WN and Infinity uses CP, and plenty of both styled guns have racked up impressive round counts.

Agreed. The 10mm Fusion my roomie is running is a stout beast...and accurate, too.  I wonder what barrels Bob uses...

I have no strong feelings either way, but from a gunsmith POV the CP cut is quicker to do.

I think I'll ask my smith what he thinks.  He builds all kinds of 1911s so he has likley done both.

View Quote

Thank you, Ken!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top