Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2016 9:25:07 AM EDT
I am going to sell off my 1911s, a Range Officer, a Springfield stainless in 9mm and a Norinco with Wilson Combat barrel, trigger job and Millet adj sights. I am nolonger a 1911 guy but I like'em! I am going to keep my Nighthawk Enforcer and perhaps buy a new Dan Wesson Bruin 6".
I handled a new .45 Auto Bruin at Cabella's that looked nice and very well fit. The trigger was excellent. Fit & finish perfect. The sales guy said it was part of "corporate buy" and unfired. It was unfired but what the heck is a corporate buy?
Cabella's price was $1850.00 which is on the low side of what we find them for on GB.

At the range I have fired 2 different newer Dan Wesson 1911s both were 5". Fit & finish and trigger pull were excellent.
If I get a new Bruin it will be in .45 Auto.
Have any of you examined or own a Dan Wesson BRUIN or Dan Wesson 1911 in .45?
Give us your review.

Thanks Much
VonBark

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Guardian in .45, excellent firearm.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If the erection lasts more than four hours  .  .  .  .  .

They are a nice looking and nice feeling firearm. Having built a few 1911s, the bruin is the only 1911 I would currently buy that wouldn't have a 2+year wait list.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I say get it. LOL But then I'm a bad influence.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI

I looked at all the 1911's listed on Cabelas Gun Library,most of the Dan Wessons are "Blems".
Look at the serial number,if it is followed by an upside down "Y" it's a blem gun.Whether or not you can spot the blem is another story.
The only DW Bruin I see is in fact a Blem gun,it does have the upside down "Y" after the serial number.

I did spot one deal,a Wilson Combat 1911 CQB in .40S&W priced at $1999.00
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FYI

I looked at all the 1911's listed on Cabelas Gun Library,most of the Dan Wessons are "Blems".

Look at the serial number,if it is followed by an upside down "Y" it's a blem gun.Whether or not you can spot the blem is another story.

The only DW Bruin I see is in fact a Blem gun,it does have the upside down "Y" after the serial number.

I did spot one deal,a Wilson Combat 1911 CQB in .40S&W priced at $1999.00
View Quote
If you're a .40 S&W shooter that's a pretty good deal on a Wilson.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have shot the Bruin in 10mm it was very accurate as all DW and had a great trigger. I don't think you can really go wrong with any DW personally.. I say get it Price is good also..
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I say get it. LOL But then I'm a bad influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK-qOFU7l54

View Quote
I saw your vid on that....and I must admit....I drooled.   I'd love a sexy out of the box 10mm like that.  Love my Delta.....but I would REALLLLY enjoy a 6 or even 7 inch 10mm.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am going to sell off my 1911s, a Range Officer, a Springfield stainless in 9mm and a Norinco with Wilson Combat barrel, trigger job and Millet adj sights. I am nolonger a 1911 guy but I like'em! I am going to keep my Nighthawk Enforcer and perhaps buy a new Dan Wesson Bruin 6".
I handled a new .45 Auto Bruin at Cabella's that looked nice and very well fit. The trigger was excellent. Fit & finish perfect. The sales guy said it was part of "corporate buy" and unfired. It was unfired but what the heck is a corporate buy?
Cabella's price was $1850.00 which is on the low side of what we find them for on GB.

At the range I have fired 2 different newer Dan Wesson 1911s both were 5". Fit & finish and trigger pull were excellent.
Give us your review.

Thanks Much
VonBark

View Quote

From the OP.
Ok, I had to have the Bruin. Found a Blemished example on GB for $1529 + 35 shipping + 40 FFL fee that totals $1604.
Before shooting it I took it home for field stripping, close inspection and compare it to other 1911s. This is my first Dan Wesson product and am very pleased. It is very well fit, slide to frame, barrel bushing are not overly tight but fit pefect with no slop. Trigger & trigger bow have very little wobble or slop. Grip safety fits close. Manual or thumb safety is perfect for me. It has a nice audible click and holds enuff to where it could never be inadvertently  activated/deactivated.
On every 1911 I have ever owned except the Nighthawk and this DW the thumb safety rubs a little on the frame when activated/deactivated which puts scratches or rub marks on the frame.  

Pic below is of my DW Bruin's muzzel & recoil plug. If you look close you can see slight discoloration on the recoil plug. This is the blemish. The white line that looks like a scratch is lint, not a scratch. You can also see where I dont quite have the plug married up to the barrel bushing and I have knocked off some of the finish.
Perhaps I don't yet have the installation mastered.
I don't know where to get Bruin specific parts but when I do I will get and extra R-plug.
It is this recoil plug arrangement that is the only thing I do not like about the DW Bruin. I can't imaging why they would use this problematic design?
" />
Pic below is of my Nighthawk Customs 'Enforcer' muzzel & recoil plug which is beefed up- heavy duty and as easy as any mil-spec 1911 to install.
" />

The Rear sights on the Bruin are adjustable Bomar type Trijicon night sights with no sharp edges.
My Springfield  Range Officer has the same adjustable rear sights except the sight blade has some very sharp edges that will and have drawn blood.
Bruin front sight I thought was a regular green fiber optic and is as bright in the sun as a fiber sight but it is also a night sight.
The rear Trijicon sight has night sight type tubes but is not or does not function like a fiber sight in sun light.
My Wheeler spring type trigger pull scale indicates a 4 lbs 4 oz. break which clean.
Yesterday I ran 330some hand loads thru it of Federal, 230gr FMJ over 6.0gr of Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder at 1.255" OAL with no hiccups. If i get it out today I will run some Federal 230gr. HST-JHP and some plated 200gr SWC to see how it likes them.

Except for the recoil plug arrangement I am very pleased with the Dan Wessson Bruin.

Thanks For Your Time
VonBark  

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Von Bark,

I, too, am not sure WHY DW went with a design that seemingly requires tools.

You CAN "cheat strip" a 1911 by what I call "Glocking" or "CZ-ing" it by wrapping your shooting thumb around the back strap/grip safety and the rest of the fingers of your shooting hand around the slide.  You squeeze the slide stop removal notch into position and pull the slide stop.  THEN you wrap your weak hand around the front of the slide dust cover and pull the slide assembly off of the frame, you scoot your fingers over the recoil spring as you do so to keep the spring and guide rod from flying around until you gently decompress it with your fingers.  Now you can pull the slide apart without tools.

You'd have a hard time putting it together in the reverse, though.  You would HAVE to put it together conventionally.  I don't know how easy or hard that would be.

Perhaps Tim from MAC can help us on this....

Tim?  Still got that Bruin handing around????
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

From the OP.
Ok, I had to have the Bruin. Found a Blemished example on GB for $1529 + 35 shipping + 40 FFL fee that totals $1604.
Before shooting it I took it home for field stripping, close inspection and compare it to other 1911s. This is my first Dan Wesson product and am very pleased. It is very well fit, slide to frame, barrel bushing are not overly tight but fit pefect with no slop. Trigger & trigger bow have very little wobble or slop. Grip safety fits close. Manual or thumb safety is perfect for me. It has a nice audible click and holds enuff to where it could never be inadvertently  activated/deactivated.
On every 1911 I have ever owned except the Nighthawk and this DW the thumb safety rubs a little on the frame when activated/deactivated which puts scratches or rub marks on the frame.  

Pic below is of my DW Bruin's muzzel & recoil plug. If you look close you can see slight discoloration on the recoil plug. This is the blemish. The white line that looks like a scratch is lint, not a scratch. You can also see where I dont quite have the plug married up to the barrel bushing and I have knocked off some of the finish.
I don't know where to get Bruin specific parts but when I do I will get and extra R-plug.
It is this recoil plug arrangement that is the only thing I do not like about the DW Bruin. I can't imaging why they would use this problematic design?
http://<a href=http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t412/charliemopic1/DW%20Recoil%20Plug_zpshuaycjnt.jpg</a>" />
Pic below is of my Nighthawk Customs 'Enforcer' muzzel & recoil plug which is beefed up- heavy duty and as easy as any mil-spec 1911 to install.
http://<a href=http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t412/charliemopic1/My%20NH%20Muzzel%20End_zpstj4mny8t.jpg</a>" />

The Rear sights on the Bruin are adjustable Bomar type Trijicon night sights with no sharp edges.
My Springfield  Range Officer has the same adjustable rear sights except the sight blade has some very sharp edges that will and have drawn blood.
Bruin front sight I thought was a regular green fiber optic and is as bright in the sun as a fiber sight but it is also a night sight.
The rear Trijicon sight has night sight type tubes but is not or does not function like a fiber sight in sun light.
My Wheeler spring type trigger pull scale indicates a 4 lbs 4 oz. break which clean.
Yesterday I ran 330some hand loads thru it of Federal, 230gr FMJ over 6.0gr of Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder at 1.255" OAL with no hiccups. If i get it out today I will run some Federal 230gr. HST-JHP and some plated 200gr SWC to see how it likes them.

Except for the recoil plug arrangement I am very pleased with the Dan Wessson Bruin.

Thanks For Your Time
VonBark

After the 300+ rounds of 230gr FMJ I cleaned and oiled the Bruin. Next time out shot 160 rounds of Federal 230gr. HST-JHP over 6.0 CFE and 90 rounds of Berry's 200gr. plated SWC over 6.0gr. Universal at 1.240 OAL all rounds ran fine and were fed from the DW supplied 8 round mags and Kimber Pro-Tac 8 round mags. Ive been running the Pro-Tac mags for 10 years.
Later I'll load up some full power loads like 230gr FMJ over 6.7gr CFE and see how they work.

Thanks for your time
VonBark

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give us your review.

Thanks Much
VonBark

From the OP.

http://<a href=http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t412/charliemopic1/DW%20Recoil%20Plug_zpshuaycjnt.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t412/charliemopic1/My%20NH%20Muzzel%20End_zpstj4mny8t.jpg</a>" />

Thanks For Your Time
VonBark

After the 300+ rounds of 230gr FMJ I cleaned and oiled the Bruin. Next time out shot 160 rounds of Federal 230gr. HST-JHP over 6.0 CFE and 90 rounds of Berry's 200gr. plated SWC over 6.0gr. Universal at 1.240 OAL all rounds ran fine and were fed from the DW supplied 8 round mags and Kimber Pro-Tac 8 round mags. Ive been running the Pro-Tac mags for 10 years.
Later I'll load up some full power loads like 230gr FMJ over 6.7gr CFE and see how they work.

Thanks for your time
VonBark

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top