Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2016 8:38:03 PM EDT
I have been looking at this Kimber Tactical Pro II.  Any thoughts on it would be appreciated.  

I have not had any 1911 style guns in about ten years and I'm thinking about getting back into them.
My Glocks have become boring.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
mine has been flawless after a few thousand rds and dam acurate i cant talk you out of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the price of that thing?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't waste your money spend a little more buy a quality gun from Dan Wesson colt or STI. Kimbers are not to great made of low quality parts you can do much better for the money IMO. With kimber your paying more for advertising then a quality pistol. Their adds sure are fancy tho! All those high gloss adds on the back page of every gun rag costs a lot. The small parts are cheap junk and the Kimpro finish is the worst finish out there IMO.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the price of that thing?
View Quote

NIB $1000.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

No just because no?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
mine has been flawless after a few thousand rds and dam acurate i cant talk you out of it.
View Quote

Well that is very good to hear.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a Springfield
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a Springfield
View Quote

This... the newer Kimbers just have too many horror stories about hit or miss QC and reliability
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Springfield.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Springfield
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can get it for 800-850, ok.  Don't pay any more for it.   Kimbers are sitting on the trading boards in droves.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You could get a good gun instead
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Springfield.  I know you're wondering why Springfield?  SA makes guns that are usually GTG out of the box and their customer service and warranty are outstanding should you experience a problem.  I've had older Kimbers that were good guns, but I also never paid more than $600 for them.  I'm not a fan of their newer offerings and their FP safety blows.  Yes you can remove the FP safety may or may not get a gun that runs fine but why screw around with that especially at their price point?  If you do have an issue with the Kimber you will most likely discover that their customer "service" sucks.

Short version - Get a Springfield.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm very happy with my Kimber. Not happy with the prices of them but I bought mine used and got a great deal. Wilson mags work best for me even better than the factory mags.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had two full sized kimbers around 2004 and paid about 650 each for them. They ran like raped apes and I had no problems with them.  I really am bummed about hearing all the negative stuff about the new kimbers.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Carried a Kimber on duty and had a pro and others for off as well (04-09).  I had no complaints except for the barrel in the white and some flaking off of finish.  They were good, all had internal extractors...but they are not $1000 good.

Own and carry a Springer at the moment.  I like this one 130% than my old duty Kimber (TLE II stainless).
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You could get a good gun instead
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've had two full sized kimbers around 2004 and paid about 650 each for them. They ran like raped apes and I had no problems with them.  I really am bummed about hearing all the negative stuff about the new kimbers.  
View Quote

Here's a little vintage Kimber love for you.  This one was $550 NIB back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.  I'd buy as many of these as I could find today!  

ETA how about a Range Officer Champion and $250 worth of ammo?  :P

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-champion-45acp/
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Save a little more and get something like a DW.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This... the newer Kimbers just have too many horror stories about hit or miss QC and reliability
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a Springfield

My experience, limited to only the two weapons I own (1 SA, 1 Kimber), has been the opposite.  My Kimber CDP II Ultra had some jamming problems when I first got it.  Switched to Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags and haven't had a malfunction since.  

My SA TRP started out ok but now fails to go into battery on occassion.  The round goes into the chamber but the slide doesn't go all the way forward.  The ejector doesn't engage the rim of the chambered cartridge.  To get it to work I have to drop the mag, lock back the slide, then pry out the round.  I'm using the same mags as I have been.  Same type of ammo that I have used before and use in the Kimber.

Again, my experience with both manufactures is limited.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My experience, limited to only the two weapons I own (1 SA, 1 Kimber), has been the opposite.  My Kimber CDP II Ultra had some jamming problems when I first got it.  Switched to Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags and haven't had a malfunction since.  

My SA TRP started out ok but now fails to go into battery on occassion.  The round goes into the chamber but the slide doesn't go all the way forward.  The ejector doesn't engage the rim of the chambered cartridge.  To get it to work I have to drop the mag, lock back the slide, then pry out the round.  I'm using the same mags as I have been.  Same type of ammo that I have used before and use in the Kimber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a Springfield

I think you mean the extractor on your TRP.  What's the round count on the SA?  Extractors wear out...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#23]
^^not to hijack, but is it clocking?  Round count?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Or a Springfield Armory. I need to find a SA EMP4 9mm to try out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DW,  fuck kimber
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 45ACP 4" LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION OPERATOR PX9115LP

Ok what are thoughts on this.  It's still pretty high at $925.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I would rather have the springer for sure. They can be had for less have you checked Budsgunshop.com and grabagun.com
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks buds has one for $877 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think you mean the extractor on your TRP.  What's the round count on the SA?  Extractors wear out...
View Quote

You are correct and I should know better.  

I'm not sure on the round count.  I don't keep track.  Probably a 1000 or so.  I've had the Kimber longer and put way more rounds through it since it's my carry gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm not sure on the round count.  I don't keep track.  Probably a 1000 or so.  I've had the Kimber longer and put way more rounds through it since it's my carry gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever changed the recoil spring? Most of the time when FRTB start out of the blue its a worn recoil spring.. I have seen them go bad in 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#31]
No way I would buy a Kimber today

I would get a Springfield

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd buy from Springfield Armory any day over Kimberbfor a 1911 of any type/size.

BTW I own a full size R.O. From SA, thing eats stuff my Glock 30s won't feed and is more accurate (for me) to boot. Only once had a failure to eject, and that was from limp wristing it, but the shooter (my son) was 8 soo... Not the guns fault.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/HALO20_photos/image_1.png

View Quote

If you want to carry it everywhere every day and have the ability to put a light on it, go for it!

P.S. Don't put it in a Walmart holster....
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you want to carry it everywhere every day and have the ability to put a light on it, go for it!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concealment solutions and stealth USA holsters are what I use.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Have you ever changed the recoil spring? Most of the time when FRTB start out of the blue its a worn recoil spring.. I have seen them go bad in 1000 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  I changed it out when I changed out the two piece guide rod.  It's had several hundred rounds through it since then.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can do better on price.

If it was me and I wanted to stay in that price range/size I'd just do this at $737 and have extra cash for ammo :P
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If it was me and I wanted to stay in that price range/size I'd just do this at $737 and have extra cash for ammo :P
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a lefty I like the ambi safety and I like the night sites also. Heck when I started this thread I was about to drop over a grand on just that Kimber alone.  Thanks everyone for the advice on everything.  Damn I love me some ARFCOM.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Night sites are around 100 bucks and ambi safety is from 60 to 100.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Being a lefty I like the ambi safety and I like the night sites also. Heck when I started this thread I was about to drop over a grand on just that Kimber alone.  Thanks everyone for the advice on everything.  Damn I love me some ARFCOM.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case get a used TRP. Do it.  You want to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir your not helping.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Only had one good one of three.  Lost hundreds trying to get rid of them.  Didn't matter whether $600 or $1500.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Big grip little barrel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love mine. Price maybe could be a little better. Paid $850 for mine out the door. I'm sure a lot depends on area as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Ok now I'm thinking full size. Thoughts on this model?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Dude save up alittle more and go for a Springfield TRP.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I've not had good luck with their Series II guns. For that price point, I'd recommend Sig 1911's
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#47]
watch out for the springfields they seem to be having problems like the rest theres a thread on this page it seems no one else here reads either.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Well looks like I've just about talked myself into the Springfield operator champion. Last chance on pros and cons. Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/HALO20_photos/image_2.png

Ok now I'm thinking full size. Thoughts on this model?
View Quote

I've got one.  Fantastic!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Well I went with the Springfield.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top