Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 11:40:21 PM EDT
Is the 1911 front sight roll pin for Novak style sights in a standard location?
ie, a certain measurement forward of the dovetail centerline?
(and what might it be?)

If I drill the slide for one front sight, will the pin match a different front sight in the future?

Backstory:
I've got a 1911 I'm putting together, I want to put suppressor sights on it.  
The ones I want aren't available at this time, but I have a coupon to get a firearm nitrided that'll probably expire before the sights come in.
I want to complete this and get it finished, then put the (final) sights on later.

I don't want to go and drill or mess with the dovetails after getting it finished.

Also, what's with the different Novak depths?  Is 0.075" the most common?

As a Sig, then Glock shooter, 1911 sights are the most confusing that I have dealt with.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally the dovetail is .075" depth on the standard Novak front.

I wouldn't bother with the roll pin personally.  On a properly fit front sight, it's just a suspenders and belt thing.

But if you're insistent on drilling it anyway, consider that the hole will at least be covered up by the sight blade if it turns out your next sight has it located somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Ken,

I was originally thinking to not drill & pin, but figured there must be a reason that 1911 sights usually have the roll pin, so I should probably use it.

If it's superfluous I might just skip it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I do it. I prefer having that in. Then again I also stake the barrel link pin, and hammer strut pin, which a lot of people think isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do it. I prefer having that in. Then again I also stake the barrel link pin, and hammer strut pin, which a lot of people think isn't necessary.
View Quote

If I'm putting the gun together and installing the sight, I know exactly how tight the front sight fits, so I don't bother with the roll pin unless it's a hard use gun.  On any random 1911 with the sight already installed, yeah, may as well have them install the roll pin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top