BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every time someone tells me how wonderful the 1911 is for concealed carry, I ask to see theirs. Haven't met one yet who actually had it on him. What does that tell you?
View Quote

I carry my CCO all the time. No issues, unless I am going to the ocean or will be in mud, then I take my glock.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I carry my CCO all the time. No issues, unless I am going to the ocean or will be in mud, then I take my glock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time someone tells me how wonderful the 1911 is for concealed carry, I ask to see theirs. Haven't met one yet who actually had it on him. What does that tell you?

Like I said, every time someone tells me that, I ask to see it. So far not one has actually had it on him. Maybe someday I'll meet you, and you'll be the first.

My point is that a Kahr PM9 on your belt beats a 1911 home in the safe every time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I have on lay away at Cabelas 3.3" ultra compact in 9mm with classic slide, will see how it's carry.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Like I said, every time someone tells me that, I ask to see it. So far not one has actually had it on him. Maybe someday I'll meet you, and you'll be the first.

My point is that a Kahr PM9 on your belt beats a 1911 home in the safe every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always have one on me.

a lot of people conceal carry or open carry 1911's in Colorado.

I might as well carry the gun I shoot best.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It tells me that they don't know you, and don't want to show their piece in public.

I carry a 1911all day every day from monday through friday, weekends are a little more spotty, if I'm going somewhere I'll usually tool up but on weekends I'm usually at home or at my cabin.  I did buy a PM9 and as soon as I renew my permit (CA) I plan on sliding it into my pocket on the weekends for a run to the store.  

I currently have an M&P Shield on my permit (again, CA laws you must qualify and list the guns you plan on carrying) and I can count the number of times I have carried it in nearly 2 years on one hand.  Its a bit big for a pocket, and if I'm wearing a gun on a belt its just as easy to carry a 1911, and if I ever had to use it I would be much more comfortable and effective with a 1911.

One thing that is frequently overlooked (IMO) is how nicely spare single stack mags carry, in my Glock days I never carried a back up mag, I carry 2 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]
When I carry a 1911 its a Ruger SR1911 Commander.    I've carried a full size in the past  but since I've got the Commander it's become my carry 1911.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry that big bastard EB with the TLR-1.
View Quote

To all those (both in comments & the poll) advocating carrying the full-size (& weight)
1911, I ask--  Is the full-size what you've chosen after assessment/testing of smaller options, or just
what you happen to have?

I'm all for making the best of what one has at hand, but when the opportunity to choose presents
itself (my situation), would prefer to make the best selection possible.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, the main advantages I see of going "Full-size"--

- more weight = better control (especially for .45 ACP)
- larger sight radius = better "range accuracy"
- marginally increased mag capacity (typically +1)  

Against these advantages come the extra weight and size = less likely to have it with me.

To reiterate what I said initially, looking for a dedicated "concealed" piece-- not really
interested in a range/match gun, or open carry.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Only thing I have noticed about carrying my 1911, is it requires a little more looking after. Once a week, I field strip it and give it a wipe down with an oiled gun rag. Load it back up and it is ready to go again.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
After carrying a full size on/off duty for 5 years and going to a Ned Christiansen's armorers school.  I am confident in the full size, I maintained my own and dept. guns.

A Commander is a nice proposition, probably a good compromise between Full size and Compact (3" variety).  It leaves all kinds of choices, you can get a lightweight vs steel frame, barrel: ramped or non-ramped (non-ramped can be trouble in an Al frame), Bull vs GI set-up...you get it.

Compact guns (like the defender) can be tricky due to dwell and unlock time.  If it runs, great...otherwise, it will take time to sort it out.  What does it like to eat, what kind of mags, does something have to be massaged?

I carried all three off duty at one time, my favorite (don't bash Kimber) was the CDPII Ultra, it was a Commander-ish top end on Officer sized Al frame.  It was a bull barrel and required an allen wrench-bent piece of wire to disassemble.  It was lightweight and reliable, but was a change springs around 800-1200 rounds whore IIRC.  Although the frame was small, I added a mag funnel which still did not add to much bulk and it was easy to conceal.

Currently, a full size is what I choose because it's easier for me to keep it on track during follow up and rapid.  The smaller ones have (for me) a little more "perceived" recoil and muzzle jump.  Carrying an all steel gun can get tiresome, good leather and belt help, but just like anything...if you leave it at home because it's to heavy, to expensive or whatever, it doesn't matter.  I'd rather have a mouse gun or j-frame in my pocket than a pointy finger.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Personally, I would stay away from the 3" barrel models as they can be problematic.

IMO, the STI Guardian is about perfect.

GUARDIAN
View Quote

Personally I'd stay away from any 1911

Unless being TACITOOL is high on the list...

Far better choices...

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To all those (both in comments & the poll) advocating carrying the full-size (& weight)
1911, I ask--  Is the full-size what you've chosen after assessment/testing of smaller options, or just
what you happen to have?

I'm all for making the best of what one has at hand, but when the opportunity to choose presents

Please correct me if I'm wrong, the main advantages I see of going "Full-size"--

Against these advantages come the extra weight and size = less likely to have it with me.

To reiterate what I said initially, looking for a dedicated "concealed" piece-- not really

View All Quotes
Quoted:

what you happen to have?

I can shoot 5" guns the best.

I carry both 5" and 4" guns depending on whether I'm going to be doing a lot of driving and sitting (then I wear the 4" which is smaller and easier to holster).
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I voted 4.25 in. lightweight. I prefer the standard bushing arrangement over a bull barrel (have owned both, just personal preference). Currently I switch between a Springfield 5 in. 1911-A1 and a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 FS simply because I'm currently without a lightweight Commander.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#13]
For my an ideal carry 1911 is either a Bobtail Commander or CCO with alloy frame:

--Sitting with a 5" gun can be an issue, the muzzle hits my chair before my ass.  Not an issue with a 4 or 4 1/4" barrel
--I used to carry a steel frame gun.  Screw that.  My lower back is much happier when I carry an alloy gun.  10 oz is a big difference.
--Although I have never experienced ANY reliability issues with a 3" gun, there is no question that you have a better sight radius and another 20-25 fps out of a 4" barrel.
--The officer frame (or these days bobtail) hides much better under your shirt than the full size government/commander frame.  The rounded off butt of the Bobtail is probably a bit more comfortable for carry since it doesn't poke you in the ribs as much as a squared off butt.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have no problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no problems.
Same but with no light. No issues.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You ask people to show you where they are carrying their EDC regularly? I for one would not show you at all. Concealed means concealed and there is no need to alarm folks at some bank or a grocery store just so you can prove something or make a point.

And I see a lot of ranchers open carrying 1911's though. What does that tell you? I also know two arfcomers in AZ that conceal carry 1911's. What else does that tell you? I know what it all tells me after reading what you had said though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the Colt, full size in .38 Super.  You've nothing to lose but your chains!

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Get the Colt, full size in .38 Super.  You've nothing to lose but your chains!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/653/23064526982_d939a8f95f_b.jpg
View Quote
I know it's a posed pic but it just looks wrong with hammer back and safety off.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Posed to take a comparison pic with another rig... in a hurry.

So it was take it out of the safe, check the chamber, stuff in the holster, snap pic, put away.

Comparing with this:

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Bigger is better, I carry my full size steel frame Springfield Armory Range Officer from time to time (over the G30S). If you go this route get a good wide belt and grippy ISWB holster so it distributes the weight well. 1911 is skinny and conceals well, even at full size, plus you get a longer sight radius and more reliable action. (Short 1911 are well know to be finicky) my full size eats stuff my Glock won't though so Glock fanboys can blow it out their rear ends on that point.

P.S. If I bought my 1911 strictly for carrying, I would have looked for an aluminum frame. But I didn't, it's a "do it all" 1911.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#20]

My carry rotation

And my most carried? Remington R1 "Carry" commander
Best $750 spent

Plus sparks and nighthawk leather
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]
CCO or LW commander.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is my LB UTC 1.5 guarantee gun in a Mitch Rosen USDII.  I use a gun belt. This gun carries very well.  But the belt and holster are the key.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Far better choices...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I would stay away from the 3" barrel models as they can be problematic.

GUARDIAN

Far better choices...

Glock.  21 or 30.  Glock.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I am for the Commander size options, slightly smaller than full size easy to carry still large and hefty enough for a stable platform with comfortable shooting characteristics. For me it is a extremely comfortable size to shoot and I enjoy it. Make practice more likely.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Walk into our small lgs on a Saturday morning and there will be 4-5 in there all day and if a big coffee crowd is rolling in there could be up to 10.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is me  as well, my commander all the time except for really nasty or wet times.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GUARDIAN

Far better choices...

No, no, no, and not that POS.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I carry my Combat Elite in a VMII all the time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#29]
After carrying a steel framed commander for many years, I went with the Wiley Clapp lightweight commander. I like it, and carry it every day.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#30]
- Other -

I prefer a all steel Commander, never have been a fan of AL frame 1911's

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
After carrying a steel framed commander for many years, I went with the Wiley Clapp lightweight commander. I like it, and carry it every day.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/kelleysgunshop/IMG_6336_zpsspfibjml.jpg
View Quote

I don't see any holster wear at all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Commander with steel frame.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/kelleysgunshop/IMG_6336_zpsspfibjml.jpg

Well it is inside the holster, where the holster wear will show

Next?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the detonics combat master
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like the detonics combat master
View Quote

I really like the C&S Adventurer.

I hate that I sold mine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#36]
OP did you pick a gun if not I will give an opinion?

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Just got a dw valkryrie commander and so far out of the box my Remington r1 carry commander blows it away. R1 eats anything and works with all mags. So far the dw won't feed hollow tips (just like my cco) and does not lock back on empty mag with most of my magazines.
One of the factory mags pops round out if you speed reload and slam it in with the slide to the rear. I'll let you know if it's 100% after the 500+ round break in as I have 400 more to go

So far my $700 gun trumps my $1800 one

Oh and speaking of boxes
Both rem and Dan Wesson use the same company for plastic boxes
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just got a dw valkryrie commander and so far out of the box my Remington r1 carry commander blows it away. R1 eats anything and works with all mags. So far the dw won't feed hollow tips (just like my cco) and does not lock back on empty mag with most of my magazines.
One of the factory mags pops round out if you speed reload and slam it in with the slide to the rear. I'll let you know if it's 100% after the 500+ round break in as I have 400 more to go

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/dan8152/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshbsyt2td.jpeg

So far my $700 gun trumps my $1800 one

Oh and speaking of boxes
Both rem and Dan Wesson use the same company for plastic boxes
View Quote

I'm not thrilled with DW anymore.

I haven't heard good things about them in a while now, and would only recommend a SA for the 1500 price tag.

BTW, both my SACS guns came in 20 dollar MTM cases
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I will often carry my full sized CZ1911A1.

I am currently having the front sight replaced, trigger cleaned up a bit, and the chamber/feed areas polished and smoothed (they are already pretty good).

other than that…nothing else.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

No, I have not "pulled the trigger" on this purchase (yet)-- so by all means,
let me know what you think.

At present-- leaning towards one of the "CCO" style options in
.45 ACP.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

.45 ACP.

Thanks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

.45 ACP.

Thanks!

Sig makes the compact traditional and it's a cco and can be had for $700-800 on gun broker
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#42]
If not a 5" government model (all steel) in .45ACP, I think my perfect carry gun would be a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO with the following done to it:

Flat bottom firing pin stop.
Armory Kote (flat black).
Recessed lanyard loop.
Tritium front sight.
Slotted grip screws.
EGW HD slide stop.
Wolff #2 mag catch spring.
Harrison short trigger.
VZ double diamond grips, G10, with thumb scoop.
Wilson Combat 6rd HD/+P 1911 mag with steel low-pro base plate.

In my perfect world that gun would be series 80, and have the straight GI style slide serrations, but I'd settle for series 70, and XSE style serrations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry (full size AL alloy frame).
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

That has been my favorite EDC for several years in an Andrews McDaniel II.     JD

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife just got a Sig 1911 Compact Ultra in 9mm. She really likes it. It's light, concealable, and seems to fit her hands pretty well. She's still holster shopping for it.

I was impressed enough to start looking for one in 45. The trigger is short and snappy. A little heavier than I'd like but not obnoxious either.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Per the link - $3,650.00.  Base price.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#47]
To go back to what the OP said originally, there isn't anything wrong with the New Agent.  I had one and it was 100%

This caution to stay away from anything in a 1911 less than 4" is today's electromagnetic old wive's tale.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GUARDIAN

Unless being TACITOOL is high on the list

Far better choices...

You can't conceal a glock 21 or 30 unless you're a fat slob.  A 1911 is a lot easier to conceal for guys that aren't built like the Michilen man.  This thread was about carrying a 1911 concealed in case you missed the thread title.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

.45 ACP.

Thanks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

.45 ACP.

Thanks!

The Wiley Clapp one is nice, but I wanted a ramped BBL .  SA  RO compact is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I carry a Range Officer Compact in .45 acp.  It carries very well and shoots great.  Being a 4 inch .45 acp with an aluminum frame I thought recoil would be worse than it is.  The recoil is not much more noticeable than my 5 inch all steel 1911's.  Slightly more muzzle flip but very manageable.  With Springfield's warranty I really don't think you can go wrong with the ROC for the price.

" />
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top