Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2016 11:38:44 AM EDT
im considering a mid-upper level 9mm 1911 and see the sti's are floating around in my price range. i really like the tactical ss but the trojan is considerably cheaper.

are they worth the coin or is there a bit of money built into the name?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
They are good guns. In same price range I would go with a Dan Wesson personally tho.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had one Trojan and three 2011's. The Trojan never had any issues, but I think the 2011's are where STI shines.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had one Trojan and three 2011's. The Trojan never had any issues, but I think the 2011's are where STI shines.
View Quote

I'd love a 2011 but I can't where I live. Mag limits
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost all of my STI experience is with their 2011 platform. I just bought a used Armscor but haven't shot it so can't really speak to its quality yet although the reviews and first hand info I have is almost all good.

I sold quite a few Dan Wessons and Smith and Wessons and that is probably where I would start for a single stack 9mm. The new Speingfields look pretty good too.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Edge that's had a bunch of work that I use for Limited.

My single stack gun is a 9mm Duty One.

Both are pretty flawless.  I read some things to make me think the 9mm might be a bit more finicky, but it's fed everything I've given it: 115 to 147gr various commercial ammo, and a bunch of different reloads as I was developing loads.  

My heart will always be in Limited division, but damn shooting a 9mm 1911 is a TON of fun!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of these guns again, but for the money and effort I've spent on a 2011, I'd just go with a full on custom (my next project actually)
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned a bunch and worked on more.  Go with the Trojan.  There is no compelling reason to pay the uplift over that IMO, for a single stack.  The build quality isn't dramatically different, if at all, for the more expensive guns.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've owned a bunch and worked on more.  Go with the Trojan.  There is no compelling reason to pay the uplift over that IMO, for a single stack.  The build quality isn't dramatically different, if at all, for the more expensive guns.

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/kemays/media/sti-family_zps767836cc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/sti-family_zps767836cc.jpg</a>
View Quote

great looking family
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
In your intended price range, it would be hard not to consider Springfield's latest offering;

- forged carbon steel
- front strap checking
- tool steel internals (no MIM)

I've had one for a month or so, and I can't say enough good things about it. Now I'm waiting for the 45 version

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-loaded-9mm/
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 2011 9mm Tactical.  I like the gun a lot.  My only complaint is the price of the magazines and one of them already doesn't lock the slide back.    I only have a couple thousand rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a 2011 9mm Tactical.  I like the gun a lot.  My only complaint is the price of the magazines and one of them already doesn't lock the slide back.    I only have a couple thousand rounds through it.
View Quote

STI slide stops are usually a bit longer than they should be.   I'd bet if you swap in another brand of slide stop it will help your slide lock issue.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In your intended price range, it would be hard not to consider Springfield's latest offering;

- forged carbon steel
- front strap checking

I've had one for a month or so, and I can't say enough good things about it. Now I'm waiting for the 45 version

View Quote

Thank you I'll look at it local, my shop has one
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

STI slide stops are usually a bit longer than they should be.   I'd bet if you swap in another brand of slide stop it will help your slide lock issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Earlier this year I picked up a Marauder in 9mm. That pistol has the best trigger action of any hand gun and most rifles I've ever shot. Which to some might not be much. The mag's are not cheap and I wanted to have a total of 4. One of which is the 170mm which is 26+1. The intended use was 3 gun. But with the rail it also is getting used with a light as one of my house guns. One of these days it's going to get a RMR  RDS.  When the day comes to replace my EDC I'll be taking a hard look at what STI has to offer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

- forged carbon steel
- front strap checking

View Quote

Are you absolutely certain that pistol contains no MIM parts?

Because the very top of the Springfield Armory line, the legendary custom shop Professional, is built with a MIM magazine catch, MIM disconnector, and MIM slide stop.

I'm not a MIM hater and the presence of well made MIM parts in applications suitable for MIM process parts doesn't bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because the very top of the Springfield Armory line, the legendary custom shop Professional, is built with a MIM magazine catch, MIM disconnector, and MIM slide stop.

I'm not a MIM hater and the presence of well made MIM parts in applications suitable for MIM process parts doesn't bother me in the least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- forged carbon steel
- front strap checking

Usually when 1911 guys say "internals" they mean hammer and sear.   I don't think the STI hammer and sear are MIM but the guns themselves contain plenty (safeties, mag catch, disco, etc.).  I've never known it to cause a problem on them, and more of them get the hell shot out of them than most Kimbers, et al.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#17]
STI makes good shit

Good customer service too.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 45ACP Ranger II Commander size 1911. When I got it, it wouldn't fire any ammo reliably,.I found a couple of Wilson and STI YouTube videos on how to see if the extractor needs adjustment and how to adjust them. Adjusted the extractor and it fires everything I feed it with 100% reliability. It's an all steel gun and I carried it for 3 years. It's very accurate and easy to shoot and control.  My back has been giving me problems so I bought a Colt LW Commander in 45ACP. About 2 years ago I bought a S&W Shield 9mm and last week I bought a Ruger LW Commander in 9mm. The Ranger II is now one of my home defense guns. Because of my back problems I have to carry lighter weight guns these days. But I'm still a 45 guy at heart and I carry my Colt LW whenever I can. But when my back is having fits,  9mm is better than not carrying!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#19]
are the 1911 sti mags proprietary ? or does that pertain to just the 2011 mags?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

the single stacks use standard 1911 mags
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry for the confusion. Specifically, the non-MIM parts are the 1) tool-steel hammer, 2) tool-steel sear, and 3) barstock extractor . . . .per Lipsey's website.  

The non-ILS mainspring housing, and McCormick XP mags are a nice touches too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Usually when 1911 guys say "internals" they mean hammer and sear.   I don't think the STI hammer and sear are MIM but the guns themselves contain plenty (safeties, mag catch, disco, etc.).  I've never known it to cause a problem on them, and more of them get the hell shot out of them than most Kimbers, et al.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- forged carbon steel
- front strap checking

I believe when most folks say "tool steel internals  (no MIM)" they mean that the gun is MIM free and I've rightly or wrongly always considered the disconnector to be an internal part, but as I've said, properly designed and manufactured MIM parts in application where MIM is appropriate, don't concern me in the least.

And few folks know that there are MIM parts in the Springfield Professional; use those same MIM parts in a production pistol,  and it's "proof that it's just a production gun" "or that pistol isn't built properly like a 'high end'  custom 1911 is" or "I'm going to change out those parts ASAP".

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#23]
My Perfect 10 had jamming problems from Day 1, with everything I tried to feed it.  

Customer Service sent me another mag, which didn't fix it.  They took it back (paying for shipping both ways,) did something, and it's been flawless ever since.

It might (or might not) be overly critical to say that a pistol that costs that much should be expected to work out of the box.  What I can say is that they took care of the problem and never gave me any reason to think that they wouldn't have replaced the pistol had they not been able to fix the one I'd bought.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I believe when most folks say "tool steel internals  (no MIM)" they mean that the gun is MIM free and I've rightly or wrongly always considered the disconnector to be an internal part, but as I've said, properly designed and manufactured MIM parts in application where MIM is appropriate, don't concern me in the least.

And few folks know that there are MIM parts in the Springfield Professional; use those same MIM parts in a production pistol,  and it's "proof that it's just a production gun" "or that pistol isn't built properly like a 'high end'  custom 1911 is" or "I'm going to change out those parts ASAP".

View Quote

MIM doesn't bother me.  I think nearly every disconnector and grip safety made today are MIM, for instance.  I would rather have heat treated billet steel hammers, sears, extractors and firing pin stops, but it makes a lot of sense to use for parts that don't see a lot of force or impact.   I believe Springfield used to have the Pro parts Magnafluxed to find flaws in the MIM parts they use, but I don't know if they still do it.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#26]
QC has been going downhill.

Handled lawman recently with a crooked unfitted magwell.

That's bush league shit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My Perfect 10 had jamming problems from Day 1, with everything I tried to feed it.  

Customer Service sent me another mag, which didn't fix it.  They took it back (paying for shipping both ways,) did something, and it's been flawless ever since.

It might (or might not) be overly critical to say that a pistol that costs that much should be expected to work out of the box.  What I can say is that they took care of the problem and never gave me any reason to think that they wouldn't have replaced the pistol had they not been able to fix the one I'd bought.  
View Quote

Every 2011 we sold went back. We are a small store so it was less than 12 guns but they still all went back. Usually something minor was fixed and then they would run great.

Had a sponsored shooter go through some real fits with their guns including the new dvc models. He went back to Limcat and had them built off a Phoenix trinity frame.

In the competition world it was always just accepted that most of them were going to need work so you were buying the base gun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Spartan V 45, a DVC Limited 40, and a Tactical DS 5.0 40.

The Spartan V runs and runs and is far more accurate than I'd expect for a $600ish gun.  My only complaint is that the Armscor frame (used only on the Spartans) is out of spec so the mainspring housing sticks out of the frame about 1/8".  It's enough that you definitely feel the difference.

The DVC Limited is an awesome shooting gun, but it's also been a bit of a pain in the ass.  The extractor needed to be tuned out of the box.  The rear sight broke after 1100 rounds, and the sear spring had to be replaced after 1300 rounds because it wouldn't hold tension (hammer follow, bending the spring didn't work - it would just bend right back after you cycled the gun a few times).  It's sort of like an old sports car - it's awesome when it's working and kind of a pain when it isn't.

The Tactical DS was previously owned by a local gunsmith who did a lot of work to it.  I can't speak to how it was out of the box.  I know he had to throat it out to run 1.180-1.200" OAL ammo and replace the Recoil Master with a standard guide rod.  I don't know if there was a problem with the original parts or not, but he also replaced the fire control parts with EGW and did a stellar trigger job on it - 2 lb and "breaking glass" crisp.  The blued finish on it is absolutely terrible.  I'm going to get it blasted and melonited eventually.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I clicked to find out. Anyone else have experience with the Perfect 10?

Whole reason I even know who STI are is "doublestack 10mm that isn't a Glock" is a pretty short list, and the Perfect 10 is on it... do want. At some point anyway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So, my HEX TAC just got dropped off by UPS. We'll see if issue was resolved...
View Quote

i hope so
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I was having problems with my tac 4.0 DS with the slide not locking back on the last round but after a few hundred it fix by itself, now after a few hundred more the firing pin block when flying, check the breach face and I see the firing pin forward sticking out more than normal, don't get me wrong I love this pistol but with less than 700 rds I can't believe the firing spring pin it's done. Already send an email requesting an RMA so let's see what happens
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#33]
i may lean toward a dan wesson . i handled one the other day it it was very very nice and a bit cheaper than the sti
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
i may lean toward a dan wesson . i handled one the other day it it was very very nice and a bit cheaper than the sti
View Quote

If you are at a Dan Wesson price, I would likely buy the DW. If under the DW price, I love my 40 S&W Trojan. It runs like a top in USPSA SS and occasional powder-puff IDPA loads. The thing is damn accurate with numerous loads I have tried.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you are at a Dan Wesson price, I would likely buy the DW. If under the DW price, I love my 40 S&W Trojan. It runs like a top in USPSA SS and occasional powder-puff IDPA loads. The thing is damn accurate with numerous loads I have tried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

im willing to spend around 2k, give or take a few bucks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For that cash, get an LB.

If you can spare a few hundred more, get an EB Alpha Elite (they have GI and Commander variants).
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Trojan in 9mm, two 2011's, one in 9 the other in 40. I don't know that I would pay full retail for one of their 1911's over any other solid manufacturer. Two are blued and one is hard chromed. IMHO, the blued guns displayed wear quicker than most most blued weapons I've had.

2011's, wouldn't hesitate but would still shop around on new price or buy used.

The 40 is used, I'm at least the third owner. I got a good price because it "had mag trouble" and went to slide lock randomly. Hell, you could rack the slide to the take down notch and shake out the slide stop! New stop fit to the gun and I've got about 10k through without a hiccup. Still running all of the "problem mags". This one came with an Aftec extractor so I believe someone may have had issues with extractor tension at some point prior to me acquiring the gun.

The Trojan had a loose ejector right out of the box. It runs like a champ. Maybe 3k through this one. I did call STI and they sent a new ejector and pin. I replaced it but had about 2k through it by the time I got around to installing the new ejector. With all but the Wilson ETMs(plastic or metal followers), it doesn't like to strip the first round using the slide stop when the mags are loaded with 10rds and flat nosed lead. 9 rounds with any bullet, or stuff to 10rounds with hp's or rn bullets and it's home free. Always loads when slingshot, any mag fully loaded with any bullet nose.

The 9mm, 2011 has run as well. No work, no special bullet shapes or mag tweaks. Maybe 5k through this one.

All but the used gun got a trigger job from a local smith. They came in at about 4.5lbs, they are game guns so I had them tweaked to about 2.5lbs.

edited to add a pic of the 1911, 9mm
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

NOPE.

Essentially came back untouched. They ran 15 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P ammo and said it was in STI spec.

I loaded up 50 rnds of 124gr Delta Precison bullets to some near unsafe load data pressure and still shoots +2" low.
Ordered $160 worth of Critical Duty ammo, gonna be an interesting thread comming soon.

FYI: I'm a NRA and CHL instructor. I know how to shoot and don't have issues with any other pistol. My box stock vp9 makes this pistol look like a door stop at 1/3 the cost. ($2800 doorstop)

Sorry, just a bit pissed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, my HEX TAC just got dropped off by UPS. We'll see if issue was resolved...

i hope so

NOPE.

Essentially came back untouched. They ran 15 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P ammo and said it was in STI spec.

I loaded up 50 rnds of 124gr Delta Precison bullets to some near unsafe load data pressure and still shoots +2" low.
Ordered $160 worth of Critical Duty ammo, gonna be an interesting thread comming soon.

FYI: I'm a NRA and CHL instructor. I know how to shoot and don't have issues with any other pistol. My box stock vp9 makes this pistol look like a door stop at 1/3 the cost. ($2800 doorstop)

Sorry, just a bit pissed.

I totally understand . I'd be pissed too. I'm glad I asked first, I think I'm going to looking to Ed brown , Dan Wesson or maybe even Wilson
That's if I decide to throw out some more money
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#40]
If I were going to spend more than Trojan money on a 1911. I would be looking at Dan Wesson next then Baer, Brown, and Wilson as the budget grows . I've shot a couple Browns and they are absolutely exquisite guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought a Hex Tactical 2011 in 9mm. Awesome feeling firearm. 20+1 rnd capacity.

Took it to the range 2x and had to send it back to STI. Waiting on them to return it. Start of week 4 now.

The gun shot fantastically, nice tight groups. The issue was that it shot 2.5" low at 7yds, 5" low at 15yds and 6.5" low at 25 yds. Heini rear and Dawson .140" FO front.

View Quote

I'm having the same issue with my new Tactical 5.0 2011.  I've tried a variety of 124gr and 147gr loads, and I'm still way low.  Haven't decided if I want to try a shorter front sight or an adjustable rear (I'm low enough that I may need both, though).

I'm new to 2011's, but it shoots the same for everyone who has tried it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#42]
What height are your front sights?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mine? .140 Dawson Precision with the fiber optic insert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is seriously dicked up.  Almost like they had a bad batch of slides or something.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
There is a reason ALOT of gunsmith make their living making STI's run.My experience  from  10 + years  of competitive shooting,Factory STI's  are hit and miss, expensive, and will need gunsmithing to make them 100%reliable,  and shootable.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes, which is why I sent it back.. Hoping they would either replace slide, barrel or raise the rear sight.

I messed  around on the loading bench last night trying to figure out what's going on between my loads and the Critical Duty 135 that STI used.
Still not sure about that yet but this barrel in the STI has a very generous amount of freebore to the lands. Freebore in most of my other pistols just using the plunk test is about 20-25 thou. My general COL for loaded ammo is 1.125.

The freebore on the STI......almost 70 thou. While it may not have a bearing on what's going on, it is something out of normal from my other 9mm chamberings on Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, M&P, XD.

I guess we'll see what's up when UPS drops off my ammo this week.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit, glad to know I'm not the only one having this issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is seriously dicked up.  Almost like they had a bad batch of slides or something.

Yes, which is why I sent it back.. Hoping they would either replace slide, barrel or raise the rear sight.

I messed  around on the loading bench last night trying to figure out what's going on between my loads and the Critical Duty 135 that STI used.
Still not sure about that yet but this barrel in the STI has a very generous amount of freebore to the lands. Freebore in most of my other pistols just using the plunk test is about 20-25 thou. My general COL for loaded ammo is 1.125.

The freebore on the STI......almost 70 thou. While it may not have a bearing on what's going on, it is something out of normal from my other 9mm chamberings on Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, M&P, XD.

I guess we'll see what's up when UPS drops off my ammo this week.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit, glad to know I'm not the only one having this issue.

hope you get it worked out
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Every time I'm considering buying an STI 2011 a thread like this one comes along.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Every time I'm considering buying an STI 2011 a thread like this one comes along.
View Quote

There's not much like em so if you want one buy one and deal with it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

They make some good 6" target pistols.

Just have a good 1911 smith on hand to fix them.

All the talent went to SVI.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top