Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2016 8:19:51 PM EDT
What is preffered for a 1911, oil or grease? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
"If it slides, grease it, if it rotates, oil it."

A VERY little bit of grease on the contact points on the rails and under the barrel bushing, light oil for barrel link, couple of drops in the action.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I think John Browning recommended whale oil.  You can't get that these days but you can get a light oil that will fit the bill.  He designed it so I figure I'll follow his advice.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Mobil 1 grease
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think John Browning recommended whale oil.  You can't get that these days but you can get a light oil that will fit the bill.  He designed it so I figure I'll follow his advice.
View Quote

They aren't built to the same specs anymore.

I use a light synthetic grease on the rails and oil elsewhere.

Others use oil exclusively also with good results.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 grease
View Quote

The red aviation stuff.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Oil put the grease on your wheel bearings..
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Water

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I use FP10 where needed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A VERY little bit of grease on the contact points on the rails and under the barrel bushing, light oil for barrel link, couple of drops in the action.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to use CLP for lube, but have since switched to Lubriplate SFL-0 grease on most 1911 lube points. The only point I oil is the barrel link, which receives Machine Gunner's lube that I got with a Larue order a few years back.

I've noticed no ill effects since the switch from CLP to Lubriplate. The grease tends to keep the slide/frame rails and other points lubricated long after CLP has dissappeared.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Mobil 1 motor oil has been working just fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Oil.  Slip EWL is my fav.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The red aviation stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobil 1 grease

The red aviation stuff.

Mobil 28 or synthetic Mobil 1
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always use Mobil 1 oil.  The one time I used a little grease on the rails of my 1911, it make the slide really sticky feeling........and it didn't want to run right.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I always use Mobil 1 oil.  The one time I used a little grease on the rails of my 1911, it make the slide really sticky feeling........and it didn't want to run right.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of grease?
Sounds like chassis grease.

Mobil 1 synthetic grease or something light like Lubriplate.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What kind of grease?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of grease?

I don't remember exactly what type of grease it was, it was definitely on the thicker side.....maybe some soft of wheel bearing grease?  My Dan Wesson seems to have very tight clearance on the rails....maybe that's why the grease was binding everything up? With a few drops of oil, it feels like the slide it on bearings....smooth as glass. When I put the grease on the rails, it just felt "tight"....like the grease was keeping it from moving as easy as it should be.  I didn't mess with it much.....just cleaned off the grease, put the oil back on, and went from there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the first eighty or so years of its existence everyone used oil.  Indeed everyone used oil on pretty much every firearm, the M-1 Garand being the exception.  The grease fad began ten or fifteen years ago and now is all the rage.  

Either works.  I haven't noticed any difference in the operation of the 1911 whether I use oil or grease.  Use something.  It doesn't matter what.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't remember exactly what type of grease it was, it was definitely on the thicker side.....maybe some soft of wheel bearing grease?  My Dan Wesson seems to have very tight clearance on the rails....maybe that's why the grease was binding everything up? With a few drops of oil, it feels like the slide it on bearings....smooth as glass. When I put the grease on the rails, it just felt "tight"....like the grease was keeping it from moving as easy as it should be.  I didn't mess with it much.....just cleaned off the grease, put the oil back on, and went from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of grease?

Grease is oil with a metallic soap added to retain it in place.

Even if you wipe away almost all the visible grease it leaves an oil film behind.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mobil 1 grease
View Quote
I mix Mobil 1 grease with Mobil 1 oil, it makes it lighter

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oil.  Slip EWL is my fav.
View Quote

This.

I run slip in all my firearms, and my firearms get run. Hard.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I use Dow GN metal assembly grease. It has moly in it and has a very high working temp and is as slick as snot, a little goes a very long way. I use for all my arms and it has been the best thing I have ever used.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Royal Purple, Max-Tuff synthetic assembly lube. I had some around when I ran out of CLP, I liked it fine, so I keep using it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Crisco!!

Just kidding. I use PAM spray on my guns!

But seriously, I grease my rails (something I've done for years on my old Sigs) and oil the rest.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#24]
How often do you clean your gun ? How often do you shoot enough to get the rails so dirty that the dirt sticks on the rail lube and it is visible? Just use a good oil and don't go crazy. There is a reason most gun oils are thin.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 motor oil has been working just fine for me.
View Quote

this.  cheap and i have plenty of it laying around
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I use Slip2000 for the various little parts and Slip2000 EWL 30 for the rails.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Both, but mostly grease on just a field strip.  Generally, here in Texas: Brian Enos Slide Glide.  When I got hunting up north in the Winter: Oil everything, no grease.  Won't function otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Both, but mostly grease on just a field strip.  Generally, here in Texas: Brian Enos Slide Glide.  When I got hunting up north in the Winter: Oil everything, no grease.  Won't function otherwise.
View Quote

I used to oil in the winter until I switched to Lubriplate SLP-0. It's thin enough that it works well.

Grease on the rails and oil everywhere else. This goes for all of my pistols.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I used to oil in the winter until I switched to Lubriplate SLP-0. It's thin enough that it works well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look into it.  I'd have a better solution than just oil if I was throwing rounds down range, but just carrying on my property if I need to put down a deer and for bear protection, not a big deal.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Use whichever you like, but be aware that some greases and oils can impede function when the weather gets cold enough.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#32]
For metal on metal I use Brownells friction defense (moly-Teflon). It all gets a light coating of rem-oil and a wipe down.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I've always used Remington oil on my full size 1911
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"If it slides, grease it, if it rotates, oil it.".
View Quote

This is basically what I do.

However, can anyone tell me why oil on the barrel bushing works better than grease on the barrel bushing?
Is this not a sliding contact?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top