Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2016 7:50:36 PM EDT

Was out shooting my 45 trp and the slide locked partially open and wouldn't close. After tearing it apart I found the side of the slide/frame appeared to be gaulled. Springfield has not responded via email after 4 days so I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a place I could send it to get worked on. I love shooting this gun but this has me bummed out...

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Springfield
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call Springfield
View Quote

Ditto. I've never had good success with emailing them. But calling them has always worked well for me.

Don't send it to someone else as it won't be under warranty. If you contact Springfield they'll pay for shipping and you'll have it back quickly and probably in better shape than when it left.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the damage?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I have pics on my phone, would have to upload to post. I will try and post tomorrow as well as calling them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#4]
SA has tier one warranty.  They'll come thru.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Post a pic when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is a Springfield pistol, you will never find better service than Springfield.  They are the only company that matches Daniel Defense for customer support.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for the links, couldn't get the images to work

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2VD7XaREtRXUVBfcjBZZWlNbVU/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2VD7XaREtRXLUtLVEI5QkZrZm8/view?usp=drivesdk

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks to be Galled really bad IMO.. Definitely send it back
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Was shooting just fine then the slide stopped half way and wouldn't  move, even with quite a bit of force.

I will call them today and see what they can do.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmm, stainless.

Surprise, surprise.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't know they used French parts.

SA will make it right.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Ok, ok, pardon my French, it appears to have been galled!

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#13]
When fixed use more oil or grease to prevent this from occurring.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hmm, stainless.

Surprise, surprise.
View Quote

I thought they had figured out how to fix that years ago   OP, what lube were you using?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Call them.

I couldn't get through by email, but their phone CS has been pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought they had figured out how to fix that years ago   OP, what lube were you using?
View Quote

I know there have been improvements.  I've read the 70s Smith auto-loaders were just terrible.  However, its still stainless steel.  

Case in point, try to find a Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolt in stainless steel.  It won't happen, cause they don't exist.

What stainless giveth in looks and corrosion protection, it taketh away in hardness and yield strength.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]
OP is that a stainless TRP that you had re-finished or are ALL TRP frames SS?  I have two AK TRP's so now I'm wondering if it's stainless underneath.

ETA - NM I'm tarded.  5 seconds on their website tells me:  Forged Carbon Steel, Black Armory Kote™
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP is that a stainless TRP that you had re-finished or are ALL TRP frames SS?  I have two AK TRP's so now I'm wondering if it's stainless underneath.

ETA - NM I'm tarded.  5 seconds on their website tells me:  Forged Carbon Steel, Black Armory Kote™
View Quote

What I think sucks is that ALL Dan Wessons are stainless steel.  I'm just not sure if their Black Duty finish option is enough to prevent these kinds of problems.

I wish carbon-steel frames with stainless slides were a more popular option.  I think that would be a good compromise (if you must have stainless)
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What I think sucks is that ALL Dan Wessons are stainless steel.  I'm just not sure if their Black Duty finish option is enough to prevent these kinds of problems.

I wish carbon-steel frames with stainless slides were a more popular option.  I think that would be a good compromise (if you must have stainless)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have 4100 rounds on my 2014 stainless DW Valor and have had no issues. All I did was lube before each session and clean every 1000 rounds.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have 4100 rounds on my 2014 stainless DW Valor and have had no issues. All I did was lube before each session and clean every 1000 rounds.  
View Quote

Just because you haven't had galling issues, doesn't mean the slide-to-frame fit isn't getting sloppy.  It has been my experience that a stainless slide/frame tolerance gets loose much faster than a comparable carbon-steel gun.

No offense intended. Just my personal experience.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just because you haven't had galling issues, doesn't mean the slide-to-frame fit isn't getting sloppy.  It has been my experience that a stainless slide/frame tolerance gets loose much faster than a comparable carbon-steel gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The gun is as tight as the day I bought it. I've had what you're describing happen in far fewer rounds with carbon steel Colts.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]
SA absolutely sucks regarding e-mail correspondence.  Not sure why they even bother to have their e-mail as a "contact us" option.  Just give 'em a call.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#23]
The gun in question is all stainless. It was clean and lubed with remoil. There may be better lubes, probably something thicker but I just don't know what that would be.
It locked up after about 30 rounds. It only has maybe 500 rounds through it at most.

I got springfield on the phone and they sent a FedEx label right over...going out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Be interesting to hear what lube SA recommends.  I'm pretty old, and I remember AMT? Having the same galling issue. I want to say they were talking crisco as a lube to prevent.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Be interesting to hear what lube SA recommends.  I'm pretty old, and I remember AMT? Having the same galling issue. I want to say they were talking crisco as a lube to prevent.
View Quote

I use Mobil 1 on my SA's.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Slip 2000 ewl works for me.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Slip 2000 ewl works for me.
View Quote

Been using this for years.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I've shot many tens of thousands of rounds through my stainless guns including 1911s and have never had a galling issue, nor have the pistols become loose.

I imagine any decent lube applied correctly where it's needed will do the job.

I'd like to earn more about what happened to the OPs TRP and how things were resolved.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#29]
rem oil sucks for a lube keep it for rusted bolts.

oil for your guns: break free clp, g96 clp, weapons shield, ezzox, mil-comm tw25b grease, tetra grease, krytox, motor oil, grease up to ngl 2 ratting, etc.

you want something 10w or thicker.

Some use grease on the rails, hammer hooks, barrel hood and bushing area and oil on the pins,
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've shot many tens of thousands of rounds through my stainless guns including 1911s and have never had a galling issue, nor have the pistols become loose.

I imagine any decent lube applied correctly where it's needed will do the job.

I'd like to earn more about what happened to the OPs TRP and how things were resolved.
View Quote

I slather my stainless guns in motor oil because galling has always been on the back of my mind, but have never actually seen in on SA, Colt, or Wilsons.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I use TW-25B and good old CLP on my 1911. (Carbon steel SACS Colt.)
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Carbon steel guns can be fired dry and worn ones will keep running.

OP's having friction issues with a stainless gun that may be due to bad fitting, wrong lube or underlubing it, or less likely some metallurgical fuckery.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

OP's having friction issues with a stainless gun that may be due to bad fitting, wrong lube or underlubing it, or less likely some metallurgical fuckery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't carbon steel gall too though?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Galling is typical for alloys and steels that rely on an surface layer of oxidized material for protection, for SS it's chromium oxide, that's stripped off and then damaging the underlying metal. Carbon steel doesn't have a protective oxidized layer (that'd be rust and no bueno).

Some higher end guns use Titanium Nitride to protect their stainless parts.

Wilson Ultima Lube claims to have anti-galling compounds in it (whatever that means)--but I've had similar results with synthetic motor oil.

SS guns require a shit ton of lubrication to keep the moving surfaces properly protected.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#35]

I will post an update when I hear something from springfield......

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I know there have been improvements.  I've read the 70s Smith auto-loaders were just terrible.  However, its still stainless steel.  

Case in point, try to find a Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolt in stainless steel.  It won't happen, cause they don't exist.

What stainless giveth in looks and corrosion protection, it taketh away in hardness and yield strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stainless has other advantages too, such as resistance to heat and abrasion. Why it makes great barrel material. I do prefer carbon steels for M1911 slides and frames.

You won't find a stainless Grade 8 bolt because of this thing called SAE J429. If you want a stainless bolt with the same tensile strength as a medium carbon steel ( as per the materials standard of SAE J429) bolt of the SAE J429 Grade 5 or 8 you will have to go to a different standard, or none at all really. You can get 17-4PH stainless bolts that are STRONGER than Grade 8 bolts (yield and tensile) but you will pay handsomely for them. SST's biggest drawback is usually cost. You could buy a pile of Grade 8 coated or plated bolts for the cost of one 17-4PH bolt. This is with martensitic types. Austenitic stainless steels that can't be heat treated are generally rather weak.. and they are the most common type of stainless fasteners by far (18-8 SST). Austenitic is not used in 1911s of course.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm, stainless.
Surprise, surprise.

There's a reason Bullseye gunsmiths avoid stainless like the plague.  It just can't stop itself from galling.  

OP, consider getting accurails and then hard-chroming the thing.  Of course you should see what Springfield will do first...
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's a reason Bullseye gunsmiths avoid stainless like the plague.  It just can't stop itself from galling.  

OP, consider getting accurails and then hard-chroming the thing.  Of course you should see what Springfield will do first...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm, stainless.
Surprise, surprise.

I have one high end Wilson in stainless, everything else is made from carbon steel.

I asked the guy who built my SS Wilson what to about galling, and he replied "keep it well-lubed."
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#39]
When i saw the picture, I thought it looked like rem oil. keep that stuff for a rimfire or frozen bolts, its not much better than wd-40.

When I get a new stainless 1911 I add a little bit of grease with mobil-1 to the rails to prevent that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When i saw the picture, I thought it looked like rem oil. keep that stuff for a rimfire or frozen bolts, its not much better than wd-40.

When I get a new stainless 1911 I add a little bit of grease with mobil-1 to the rails to prevent that.
View Quote

I swear by red aviation grease.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I've gotten excellent results with TW25B; I apply it "liberally".
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use mobil 1  zero or 5 wt for a lot of gun stuff.  Lubriplate grease on slides for me though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#43]
What was the outcome?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Ok, so I got the gun back on wednesday. I haven't shot it but it seems fine. The oil they put on it is definitely heavier.

The invoice just called it a refit....no charge, no explanation. I can see where they cleaned it up but didn't really change the tolerances so I will keep it oiled up and hope for the best!

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ok, so I got the gun back on wednesday. I haven't shot it but it seems fine. The oil they put on it is definitely heavier.

The invoice just called it a refit....no charge, no explanation. I can see where they cleaned it up but didn't really change the tolerances so I will keep it oiled up and hope for the best!

View Quote

If you keep it properly lubed with a good oil or grease product you shouldn't be having any more difficulties.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Thanks, will follow everyone's advice!

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm having the same issue with my trp operator.  The slide doesn't slide smooth.  Hangs up about half way.  Cleaned it and it's a little better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top