Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2016 11:38:50 AM EDT
This model (6722) is brand new and should be shipping now from Ruger.  I haven't seen one yet and am anxious to get my hands on one.  I have had very favorable results with Ruger's 45ACP SR1911's and am expecting good things from this model.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6722.html?buy=1

What do you think of the "fish scale" slide serrations?  They look unorthodox but I don't think they detract in any way from the overall look of the pistol.

Happy Fourth, everyone!
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet they sell a bunch of them, although I don't care for the chevron slide serrations.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#2]
They'll get my attention again when a 38 super or 10mm is released.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
They'll get my attention when they reconsider their investment casting bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They'll get my attention when they reconsider their investment casting bullshit.
View Quote

When you're Ruger you investment cast. That's what you do.

http://www.ruger.com/casting/PDF/PineTreeCastings.pdf
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've only been at it for decades....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Great for 10/22s and golf club heads, but in this forum we talk 1911s.

F*ck Bill Ruger and his money-grubbing, undercutting methods.  (ask me how I really feel)
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]

The "fish scale" slide serrations are a real turn off, the do make it look cheap but if the gun runs well that would be a big plus.
I think they will definitely lose some sales because of the "scales"...they are ugly and cheap looking....<><....
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

F*ck Bill Ruger and his money-grubbing, undercutting methods.  (ask me how I really feel)
View Quote

Don't tell Caspian that Ruger makes lousy frames.

PS--Bill Ruger is long dead and cold in the ground. Nothing of him remains other than the name.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Highlighted as part of the manufacturing process was a " Swaged link pin.,"

does this mean the barrel link pin is just peened or flared on both ends ?
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Too bad they did the two tone upside down.
And before anyone corrects me, yes they did.
Pachmyer Combat Special is original two tone 1911.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Posted by a guy with glock24 as a handle
You ever meat the man. I did. Interesting guy forced to make some really tough decesions under difficult times. I challange you to the same.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey OP, sorry for my Ruger rant. That wasn't the focus of your post.  I happen to have a significant disdain for Ruger Firearms, but this isn't the place for it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I like it
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like you're unaware of the hundreds of other options available to you?

Geez, let it go man.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the way it looks but doubt I'd ever buy one
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I plan on picking one up as soon as I can find one in the mid- to high-600 range. $699 max.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't have a problem with the "fish scale" slide serrations" since that will be an instant identifier for the 9mm version, and they look as functional as the vert and slanted serrations.

However, I would love to see a SR1911 in a 38 Super and/or 9x23 Winchester.  Someone needs to resurrect that 9x23 Win in a factory gun. It's a great cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:13:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I really dislike reverse two-tone guns.

Prefer dark slides.  All dark or dark slide over light frame is fine.

Don't like the speed bump grip safety, but everyone is doing those damn things these days, and at least it's not as sharp and pokey as Springfield's.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have a problem with the chevron slide serrations either.  I just wish Ruger would add 25lpi checkering to their front straps.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I will probably buy one, checker it and throw away the knuckle buster beavertail, and paint it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
and throw away the knuckle buster beavertail
View Quote

Why do they put those cuts on the beaver tail.  That's the reason I got rid of my Ruger.  I would love to have a 9mm commander.  David
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why do they put those cuts on the beaver tail.  That's the reason I got rid of my Ruger.  I would love to have a 9mm commander.  David
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and throw away the knuckle buster beavertail

Problem disguised as a solution in search of a problem.   Hey let's put a sharp corner right there where nothing was ever a problem before.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why do they put those cuts on the beaver tail.  
View Quote

Allows for a slightly higher grip.  I think STI was the first to scallop the beavertail in such a fashion.

All it mostly does for me is put my hand that much higher on the gun, causing the bottom edge of the slide to slit my hand.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]
It was supposed to be a relief cut for those who ride the safety with their thumb to gain more clearance for their thumb knuckle so the beavertail wouldn't bang against it.  More of a thing for people with smaller hands.   However the scallop needs to be well blended for this to work, and Ruger (and STI) didn't really blend it, leaving a sharp corner there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#25]
MINE!

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I checked one out at the shop. It was nice looking and felt nice. But it sounded like a baby rattle, I haven't seen a gun loose like that in a long time. That bummed me out because I really wanted to love it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I will pick one up.  I like my all steel Ruger Commander in .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I handled one today.  It felt like near perfection to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a Ruger LW 9mm Commander last Wednesday. Went by one of my local gun stores just to see what was new. Mentioned I was looking for a LW 9mm Commander and they went in the backroom and got the Ruger for me!! They had gotten it 5 days before and hadn't had time to put it out on display. So I bought the only one they had!!!  I also bought 4 Wilson 1911 Elite 500-9 10rnd mags for it. So I'll have 11 rnds total in the gun. The fit and finish on this one was very good. It was tight without being too tight. Very well made!

I got to the gun range last Thursday. The Ruger shot just excellent. I shot 150rds of UMC 115gr FMJ without any issues in the Wilson 9mm mags. I loaded 1 in the chamber and 10 in the mag and they all fed and fired with out any problems. I shot 50 rds of 124gr Gold Dots, my carry ammo. As many of you are aware Gold Dots are noted for being a problem in many semi-autos! Not one problem in the Ruger, they all fed without any problems out of the Wilson mags. I'm not the best shot anymore, need MORE practice. But it shot to POA at 20-25 ft. Since the 9mm ammo is much cheaper than 45, I'll be able to get a lot more time in at the range. I'm very happy with the Ruger and it runs great!! I measured the trigger pull Thursday night with my electronic gauge and it ran about 4.5lbs, no grittiness, smooth, and clean break. I like 4lb triggers on my carry guns but the trigger out of the box is very very good.

I made the grips on the Ruger about 7 years ago for a Taurus 1911 I had at the time. I was in the US Army Signal Corp form March/1968 to Nov/1970.

URL=[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/gunfighter48/media/Ruger%20LW%20Commander%209mm_zpsbqvdk1tu.jpg.html]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#31]

How's it shoot?   Accuracy?   Mag / ammo likes / dislikes?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Impressions of the handgun are generally positive.  I haven't put a ton of rounds through it yet and haven't shot it beyond fifteen yards so I don't have much to report but it seems like it wants to shoot okay with just about everything.  I do note that the gun seems to shoot a bit high and might need a slightly taller front sight.  I'll worry more about that if and when I change out to something like the Trijicon HD's.

So far it has fed Tula, reloads, WWB and 115gr Atlanta Arms JHP match from Tripp mags without issue.  I haven't tried the factory 9rd mags yet.  I might just put them up for sale on the EE and buy some additional Tripp mags.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I think I for one will pass.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bill is long gone and in the ground... Your post makes as much sense as the people that still blame white people for slavery

Guess you have zero experience with Ruger 1911's too huh?

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Saw an interesting one at a local shop yesterday.

Serrations were normal (slanted not chevron) and the frame was anodized medium grey (almost like the old "Colt Grey" ARs).

Not terribly priced at $750.   Tempting.  I'd probably change the front sight to a tritium dot though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Serrations were normal (slanted not chevron) and the frame was anodized medium grey (almost like the old "Colt Grey" ARs).

Not terribly priced at $750.   Tempting.  I'd probably change the front sight to a tritium dot though.
View Quote

Hmm. I wonder if the overwhelming feedback on these chevrons has been negative. If so I imagine changing to a more traditional would be ab easy rolling change. We'll have to see if other non-chevroned slides start showing up.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hmm. I wonder if the overwhelming feedback on these chevrons has been negative. If so I imagine changing to a more traditional would be ab easy rolling change. We'll have to see if other non-chevroned slides start showing up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if that is true everyone will then want a Chevron model and the price will go through the roof like a Glock RTF2 with fishgills.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#39]

LMAO!

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I got mine out to the range this morning.  Before shooting I changed out the grips to LOK Grips, the trigger to the short and smooth faced configuration I prefer and the recoil spring to a 18lb wolf commander spring ( As suggested by Ed Head ).  

I fired 250 rounds of mixed ammunition including Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Ranger T, Federal HST and Freedom Munitions reloads.  Mixed bullets ranging from 115 to 147.  The gun was very pleasant to shoot with all loadings including the hotter defensive ammo.  I experienced no malfunctions.   I didn't fire for accuracy from a bench, but from a standing position and firing as fast as I could reacquire the front sight I had no problem keeping all rounds within a 5 inch circle at 15 yards.  I used a the factory supplied magazines and some Wilson ETM 10 round mags as well.  Overall a very pleasant pistol to shoot.  A couple more flawless trips to the range and I'd be more than happy to add it into my EDC rotation.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I checked one out at the shop. It was nice looking and felt nice. But it sounded like a baby rattle, I haven't seen a gun loose like that in a long time. That bummed me out because I really wanted to love it.
View Quote

I looked at one today and noticed the same thing. After mentioning it to the salesman he offered to let me inspect another one,, difference of night and day. I bought the second one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Took mine to the range today.  I got it from Grabagun for $729 with shipping plus $27 to my dealer.  I ran 150 rounds of Lawman 115 grain 9mm through it.  I had 3 10 round Chip McCormick mags, 3 10 round metalform mags and 2 ruger factory 9 round Checkmate mags.

I had (2) two failures to feed on the second round of the same Chip McCormick mag.  All the other mags ran flawless.   Overall, I am very pleased.  I can't wait for an all steel Ruger 1911 9mm.   If you are sitting on the fence grab one.  The 10 rounds of 9mm, plus the cheaper cost to shoot the 9mm, make it an even better deal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I really dislike reverse two-tone guns.

Prefer dark slides.  All dark or dark slide over light frame is fine.

Don't like the speed bump grip safety, but everyone is doing those damn things these days, and at least it's not as sharp and pokey as Springfield's.
View Quote

I'd be screwed, kinda need that personally.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#44]
http://www.businessinsider.com/sturm-ruger-on-the-nra-hillary-clinton-and-election-2016-8

If anyone needs additional justification for buying a Ruger.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife traded her shield for one of these and went from constant accuracy and comfort problems- to hitting steel 75% of the time at twice the distance. Shes still new to shooting, but now understands the love of a 1911.  The best thing about this pistol is her smile when she shoots it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top