Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 8:54:37 PM EDT
Has anyone purchased a handgun from either Gun Broker or Buds on line? Would you recommend an on line purchase or a LGS? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are the kind of customer who wants a ton of personal service, attention, care and somebody to hold your hand all the way through a gun purchase, LGS is for you.

If you know that you are buying, know what is and what is not a good price, and know how to read and follow instructions...Buds is for you.

Gunbroker? Buy from buyers who have good ratings and reviews. Read instructions. Don't be an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gunbroker? Buy from buyers who have good ratings and reviews. Read instructions. Don't be an idiot.
View Quote

I agree...

Ask questions. Communicate with the seller and let them know you are serious about purchasing. If you get more than one word answers, it is a good sign. You usually can figure out when someone is not honest, if you really look hard.

I purchased from Bud's, through Gunbroker... and was a good transaction. Emailed them with questions regarding payment, and they replied quickly and in a professional manner.

I'd add the EE to the list, being there are many good people on there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Purchased many guns from Buds, no issues.  The only gripe I would have is they can be slow to ship at times.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Have done a lot of research. Think I'm going to buy a SA Loaded 45. Buds comes in about 150 bucks less the most NJ gun shops and no NJ sales tax. Buds has a preffered  FFL in my neighborhood. Basically want to know if it is a reliable hassle free option.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Purchased many guns from Buds, no issues.  The only gripe I would have is they can be slow to ship at times.
View Quote

that has been my experience until now. just got in the fifth purchase from Buds, its a four inch M629 S&W.
ordered it I think last Thursday maybe Wednesday, it arrived today. $757, shipped free.
previous shipments seemed to run about two weeks.

scruff is happy
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have have had good experiences with Gunbroker and Buds.  Buds was slow to ship, but that was a few years ago.  

The other side of the deal that you need to check out is your local FFL.  Some are easier to work with than others and prices vary.  Check them out too.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have done a lot of research. Think I'm going to buy a SA Loaded 45. Buds comes in about 150 bucks less the most NJ gun shops and no NJ sales tax. Buds has a preffered  FFL in my neighborhood. Basically want to know if it is a reliable hassle free option.
View Quote

The purchase from Buds should be a 5 minute cake walk.

The pickup from the local dealer is what you need to look into. What will they charge for the NICS check and 4473 paperwork.

Gunbroker you need to do your homework. Read reviews, make a printout of the exact add you want so future edits can't change details.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had excellent experiences with Grabagun.com usually cheaper then buds also. And much cheaper shipping if buds doesn't offer free shipping on the gun your buying. And buds takes forever to ship grabagun usually ships either same day or next day.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have had excellent experiences with Grabagun.com usually cheaper then buds also. And much cheaper shipping if buds doesn't offer free shipping on the gun your buying. And buds takes forever to ship grabagun usually ships either same day or next day.
View Quote

I've been buying from Bud's for close to ten years and I have never seen a firearm on their web site that didn't include shipping in the price. Every firearm is priced shipped.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought from gunbroker for the first time recently. Fastest shipping I've ever had from an online purchase. Feedback score helped me make my decision.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Has anyone purchased a handgun from either Gun Broker or Buds on line? Would you recommend an on line purchase or a LGS? Thanks.

View Quote

I've done both. Sometimes you get lucky with used guns on a no reserve auction and get something cheap. It just depends.

Depends on who you are having the thing shipped to, and are you at risk for needing returns, or service after the sale? Sometimes dealing with anything transferred to you thru the mail is a PAIN, and the cost associated with shipping and transfer fees outweigh the seemingly low price of the online item. You never know though, true bargains can be had.

I walked out of my LGS with a new rifle the other day, even with sales tax it was a better deal than I found anywhere online.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you are the kind of customer who wants a ton of personal service, attention, care and somebody to hold your hand all the way through a gun purchase, LGS is for you.

If you know that you are buying, know what is and what is not a good price, and know how to read and follow instructions...Buds is for you.

View Quote

Could not ha e said it better myself. I have also had good dealings with grab a gun and gun prepper
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess I am a naysayer. I won't pay in full for a gun without handling it first. I do not trust my fellow salesmen. Nothing personal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Although I have made only one purchase from Bud's and the gun is GTG, they were slow to ship.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Some of the sellers on GB are getting a little carried away with their shipping charges which adds to the total investment.  I still shop GB, but I try to watch shipping charges.  My last transaction from Bud's, a G19 FDE, arrived at my FFL exactly 1 week from the day I ordered it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Have bought maybe 5 guns from buds no problem
But if you search some others have.
At gun joker id just go by the dealers # of positive transactions just like trader rating on the ee here
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check with the local ffl. There aren't many (if any) left that won't rake you over the coals. Best I've seen is 65 including NICs for a used gun. Many charge significantly more.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#18]
There's one less then a mile from my house. Buds preffered list. Spoke with him. 25 bucks for the transfer and 15 for the NICS check. Seemed fair.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's one less then a mile from my house. Buds preffered list. Spoke with him. 25 bucks for the transfer and 15 for the NICS check. Seemed fair.
View Quote

Good deal. Glad you found one still willing to be reasonable. If you don't mind shooting me a pm with the gentleman's name? Always looking for someone to do transfers without feeling like my wallet has been assaulted.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I've bought one gun online and that was through GB. I knew what I wanted, looked for and waited for a good price and then bought it. The transaction was straight forward and went well.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Try two birds with one stone: buy from Bud's through Gunbroker

I didn't like Bud's ordering system using their website and found the exact item on their Gunbroker page for only $1 more using buy it now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has been my experience.  Last was about a week and a half to ship but they had it and was a decent price.  Everything went fine.  

Aim surplus probably shipped 4x faster for me but they don't have the selection.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I've purchased most of my guns through Gunbroker. They've been very reliable and I've gotten many good deals. Some of the dealers will not charge a Credit Card fee and offer free shipping. When dealing with individuals, I always check their ratings before bidding. I've heard that Bud's Guns sometimes has issues. I haven't purchased anything through them before. So I don't know about Bud's.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Shop for the best deal. Read the seller feedbacks when buying from GB. Buds offer lay away plan on most firearms +free slow as hell shipping.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had good luck with Davidsons Gallery of guns.  It outlines the prices including ffl fee's within a certain mile radius of your location.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm a big fan of buds due to simplicity of it all.

I've only purchased once from gunbroker. I think I'd only go there for the hard to find stuff. And always read the full description/payment/shipping information!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Bud's is so easy, and their prices are usually extremely competitive, especially with free shipping. MY FFL is on their preferred list, so I order online, Bud's ships, and my FFL calls when it arrives. Very simple, easy process.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Buds does make it insanely simple so that is always nice ..... But I have scored some awesome deals on gunbroker .... Just have to look around
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Just ordered a pistol via Buds, so will let you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top