Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2016 8:18:12 PM EDT
Range Officer or Loaded? Both are on Buds Gun Shop website and only 30 bucks difference. Which would you choose and why? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Essentially same gun do you want adjustable target sights or fixed sights and and ambi.. So only you can answer that question IMO. If have intentions of carrying it I would buy the loaded. If just for targets buy the RO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Loaded for me.

Like the fixed sights, I can't tell you why, but I don't like adjustable sights on a handgun. Big aversion to them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Essentially same gun do you want adjustable target sights or fixed sights and and ambi.. So only you can answer that question IMO. If have intentions of carrying it I would buy the loaded. If just for targets buy the RO.
View Quote

Pretty much this. With a loaded you get Novak cut sights so you have a lot of options for changing them out should you desire. With the RO you get a LPA cut so rear sights aren't near as numerous for options. Front sight is FO, but I honestly don't mind the FO on my RO compact. Thought I would hate it but I actually really like it.

After that it is purely cosmetics of the front cocking serrations and the ambi safety on the loaded vs the single side safety and rear only serrations on the slide. If you can't get past the front cocking serrations then the RO is your best choice and find a LPA fixed sight of you don't want the adjustable rear.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Harrison makes a replacement fixed sight..  For the Range officer rear sight cut.
https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-002-extreme-service-rear-sight
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I've owned 2 ROs and handled many Loadeds and the RO is a much nicer gun for the money.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Range Officer or Loaded? Both are on Buds Gun Shop website and only 30 bucks difference. Which would you choose and why? Thanks.
View Quote

I went with Range Officer because I don't want the ambi safety's.  They interfere with the Crimson Trace Lasergrips.

The loaded also had a solid guide rod and I like the 2 piece for easy takedown.

The Range Officer does not have the front of slide cocking serrations either.  I don't care for them and never use them.

I wish the RO did not have the fiber optic front sight.  The loaded had the plain black front sight which I like.

When I bought mine they were both the same price so that wasn't even a factor.

Oh, almost forgot, the RO I bought did not have the lock on the main spring housing which I thought was great.

It all boils down to "How do you like your 1911 configured?".

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The RO will out shoot the loaded.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Is the RO made in the USA or Brazil? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the RO made in the USA or Brazil? Thanks.
View Quote

They are all made in the US now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I would get the RO and put a Harrison rear on it.

Single side safety
No FCS
Better barrel / bushing fit.

I'm seriously thinking about getting one and having SACS do their thing....but I'd have to sell the TRP
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got the ro operator. It can be had with target or fixed sights. But it dies have a rail and steel frame
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I went with Range Officer because I don't want the ambi safety's.  They interfere with the Crimson Trace Lasergrips.

The Range Officer does not have the front of slide cocking serrations either.  I don't care for them and never use them.

I wish the RO did not have the fiber optic front sight.  The loaded had the plain black front sight which I like.

Oh, almost forgot, the RO I bought did not have the lock on the main spring housing which I thought was great.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There must be different variations of the RO as both of mine had plain black front sights and the ILS.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Good choice OP. It depends on how you want your 1911 set-up. I went with an "NM" serial prefix "Loaded" (5) years ago and it's been one of the best pistols I've ever had. In K's of rounds; (dedicated IDPA and downstairs HD pistol), it's never exhibited (1) single malfunction and the trigger was a solid 5lb pull when I bought it. It's since broken/worn into about 4.5lbs crisp pull. However, if I had to do it over again I would have went with the "Champion Operator Lightweight" model for it's rail and the shorter 4" barrel. I don't think that option was available (5) years ago though. I was lucky enough just to find a "NM" serialized frame/gun and was happy about that. You really can't go wrong with a Springer OP. They are solid 1911's... especially for the value/money. Pics are a must though!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Loaded for me.

Like the fixed sights, I can't tell you why, but I don't like adjustable sights on a handgun. Big aversion to them.
View Quote

I can tell you why I don't like adjustable sights on a carry gun... because they are great at snagging pieces of skin off of my side under a stressful/quick. Two, they are ugly as fuck. It's a deal killer for me but everybody is different. I have seen some adjustable rear sights that are more attractive than others and have smoother edges but the Novak style rear sights are no fuss, drift and forget it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There must be different variations of the RO as both of mine had plain black front sights and the ILS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine is 9mm.

Maybe that is it?

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#16]
They have range officer operator s now. Available with target or fixed sights

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-45-acp/#PI9131LP
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They have range officer operator s now. Available with target or fixed sights

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-45-acp/#PI9131LP
View Quote

I'm only seeing "low profile combat rear" as the rear sight for the Range Officer Operator.  

No target rear.

What am I missing?

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I you scroll down there are options.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-45-acp/#PI9128LP

Eta that's a ro. I must have confused myself
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Good choice OP. It depends on how you want your 1911 set-up. I went with an "NM" serial prefix "Loaded" (5) years ago and it's been one of the best pistols I've ever had. In K's of rounds; (dedicated IDPA and downstairs HD pistol), it's never exhibited (1) single malfunction and the trigger was a solid 5lb pull when I bought it. It's since broken/worn into about 4.5lbs crisp pull. However, if I had to do it over again I would have went with the "Champion Operator Lightweight" model for it's rail and the shorter 4" barrel. I don't think that option was available (5) years ago though. I was lucky enough just to find a "NM" serialized frame/gun and was happy about that. You really can't go wrong with a Springer OP. They are solid 1911's... especially for the value/money. Pics are a must though!!!
View Quote

All their guns have a NM prefix to their Serial Numbers except for aluminum framed guns (those sport LW prefixes). The NM means nothing, some people think that it means "national match" but it doesn't.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All their guns have a NM prefix to their Serial Numbers except for aluminum framed guns (those sport LW prefixes). The NM means nothing, some people think that it means "national match" but it doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that the NM stamped frames were machined in the US, while the N frames were machined in Brazil.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Having seen several examples, this is my observation also. A stock RO will do everything my Kart barreled match gun will do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#22]
How hard would it be to swap out the stock RO sights? Kensight makes a LPA TRT  nightsight with Trijicon inserts that looks similar in design to the stock sights with more rounded edges.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How hard would it be to swap out the stock RO sights? Kensight makes a LPA TRT  nightsight with Trijicon inserts that looks similar in design to the stock sights with more rounded edges.
View Quote

It's easy to swap for a fixed sight if that's what you want. It will add to the price of course, but those ROs will shoot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that because of the sights or something else?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Range Officer Operator FTW!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that the NM stamped frames were machined in the US, while the N frames were machined in Brazil.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They make all their guns in the US now so if you're buying new you are getting a gun with a NM frame, or LW if it's aluminum, with 100% certainty.

If you're buying and old/used Springfield Armory Inc gun then you have to pay attention the the SN prefix
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#27]
OP. For about 4-5 years now SA has not had a relationship with Imbel, they are all US made now.

Essentially from that same time frame, all models under the TRP line are the same, just with different cosmetic features (IE, cocking serrations, sights, etc)

The TRP's get a little more attention paid to them. The Loaded, RO, and Mil spec lines have the same barrel and bushing. One gun may be tighter than the other on the same model, just the way it is with mass produced items.

The RO is a nice gun, one I used to own, but I hate adjustable sights and the 2 fixed options (Harrison and Heinie) look like shit because they are so big and bulky (I also prefer a U notch .140 opening which neither offer). Best thing to do is decide which features you like, want, and/or can't stand and pick the SA pistol that best matches your likes/dislikes.

If I wanted to get another SA 1911, I would probably go with the mil spec model and send it SACS to get it made the way I wanted.

Good luck with your decision.

My RO with Heinie replacement sight.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP. For about 4-5 years now SA has not had a relationship with Imbel, they are all US made now.

Essentially from that same time frame, all models under the TRP line are the same, just with different cosmetic features (IE, cocking serrations, sights, etc)
The TRP's get a little more attention paid to them. The Loaded, RO, and Mil spec lines have the same barrel and bushing. One gun may be tighter than the other on the same model, just the way it is with mass produced items.

View Quote

Is that true?  I've always been told that the RO barrel and bushing are desirable compared to the loaded.  Maybe it's just how they're fitted at the factory?  I find it especially surprising that the mil-spec would have a match barrel and bushing fitted from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Is that true?  I've always been told that the RO barrel and bushing are desirable compared to the loaded.  Maybe it's just how they're fitted at the factory?  I find it especially surprising that the mil-spec would have a match barrel and bushing fitted from the factory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Match barrel and bushing are marketing terms. My parked mil spec bought within the last 4 years were every bit as accurate as my RO or loaded. My stainless mil spec was more accurate than either.

I can't remember 100% but I think AC even stated as much on 1911forum some time back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I would buy the Range Officer simply because I have a couple of them and like them a lot, never had a issue with them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Match barrel and bushing are marketing terms. My parked mil spec bought within the last 4 years were every bit as accurate as my RO or loaded. My stainless mil spec was more accurate than either.

I can't remember 100% but I think AC even stated as much on 1911forum some time back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say YOUR mil-spec was more accurate, but I imagine SA puts extra effort to make sure that 100% of RO's and TRP's have the accuracy chops while the MS and Loaded are more a crap shoot.  I have a TRP and a Loaded and while I can't tell an accuracy difference, I took any ole-TRP but I fingered every Loaded until I found the one with the best slide/frame/barrel/bushing fitment...and between the 4 I played with they were all slightly different.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pretty much this. With a loaded you get Novak cut sights so you have a lot of options for changing them out should you desire. With the RO you get a LPA cut so rear sights aren't near as numerous for options. Front sight is FO, but I honestly don't mind the FO on my RO compact. Thought I would hate it but I actually really like it.

After that it is purely cosmetics of the front cocking serrations and the ambi safety on the loaded vs the single side safety and rear only serrations on the slide. If you can't get past the front cocking serrations then the RO is your best choice and find a LPA fixed sight of you don't want the adjustable rear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm that guy.  I'd go with the RO.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Tough decision, if it was me I would flip a coin for the outcome

But the arf way is BOTH
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

But the arf way is BOTH
View Quote

I wish I could afford both. And I know if I flip a coin I'll just flip it again. I like both guns. Still waiting for my NJ handgun permit to come back so I still have time to decide. NJ is expensive when it comes to guns.Thinking of going the Gun Broker or Buds Guns route. Any experience with either?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wish I could afford both. And I know if I flip a coin I'll just flip it again. I like both guns. Still waiting for my NJ handgun permit to come back so I still have time to decide. NJ is expensive when it comes to guns.Thinking of going the Gun Broker or Buds Guns route. Any experience with either?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the arf way is BOTH

I have never used either to be honest.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Dang im heavily outnumbered, but I like my Loaded. I wanted the front serrations, and didn't mind the ambi safety as its not a carry piece. I went with the Stainless as I found it used at a good price, but never really cared for stainless. Its grown on me a lot though and I like it just fine now, especially since its such a good shooter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I hate adjustable sights on a 1911, so I vote Loaded. I bought a new parkerized Loaded a little over a year ago and it's been a great gun. 100% reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I went with the ro's, 2 of them, one in 45acp and the other in 9mm. I wanted a plain jane 1911 that would chew bugholes in targets for bullseye. Accuracy means different things to different people. Accuracy to me means the 1911 has to hit the x-ring/10/ring on a nra 50ft target because that all I do is 50ft bullseye. These 1911's have no mods done to them, they are just as they were when they left the factory. They do have different recoil springs, I change them out every 5,000 rounds.

The 45acp ro 10-shot test group @ 50ft.

The 9mm ro 10-shot test group @ 50ft.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about it logically. What's the price difference between a loaded and a RO?  Maybe $100 at most. Do you really think that $100 is going towards extra labor/fitting or into the sight combination. The mil-spec guns are significantly cheaper, but then look at their sight combination and the rest of the parts that are different. Pretty easy so see why they cost less in that regards.

Even stepping up to the TRP lineup, armory kote costs how much from the custom shop?  So that's a factor in the price difference as well as the machine checkering on the front strap. I would argue they probably spend a little more time on these guns but probably not a whole ton more.

Of course this is just my opinion and thoughts on the subject. But I highly doubt they spend any additional time on anything below the TRP line.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Range Officer was produced to shoot match grade right out the box.
It will hang with the customs. Sights don't make a gun shoot better.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Park'd isnt durable.
Step up to stainless
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#42]
The RO might not have a better barrel, but every example I've seen of the RO has substantially better barrel fitting than every loaded I've seen.

Unless you're talking about a complete piece of garbage or out of spec barrel, the fit is more important than the brand. The RO's are pretty sloppy everywhere else and have pretty average triggers, but the accuracy is hard to argue with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top