Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 12:45:19 PM EDT
Considering a full size Wilson Combat CQB and like to get one in 9mm but I don't know if it will be as reliable as a 45. Opinions and experience on this will be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well put one on layaway at Budsgunshop. Hope I don't kick myself later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Impatience.

You have it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll love it.  The only thing better than a 9mm 1911 is one chambered in .38 super.  The .38 super, however, takes some dedication to reloading or paying a premium for ammo.  You've chosen wisely.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You're going to love it. It'll be cheaper to shoot just as accurate and hold more rounds. I think with new 9mm magazines on the market a lot of the reliability issues have been mitigated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Just pulled the trigger on one myself.  After going back and forth for several between sti and Dan Wesson, I went with a PM9.

Having shot a 9mm Trojan, I can tell you the recoil is among the lightest of any 9mm I've ever shot, even slightly softer feeling than my shadow custom.  It's going to be a long week awaiting delivery.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all! Keep the comments coming to ease my gun obsessed brain.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Forgot to mention it is the CQB Elite Carry model, Buds had a killer price. Still in stock currently.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not a .45?

V
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have a Wilson but I have a full size Sig traditional match elite in 9mm. The gun runs great. I just ordered a Bul commander 9mm 1911 and hopefully it runs good too. For mags I have been using metalform 10 rounders which are working so far. I tried mec-gar 10 rounders and they fed fine but didn't lock the slide when empty.  Mark
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
V, I went 9mm for lower recoil and faster follow up shots. If I had more things to sell I would get a 2nd one in 45. Was not easy to go 9 over 45, but I think it will pay off in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you made a good choice.....please post pics/review after you get it.  I am currently having springfield custom shop build me one and am half way through the quoted 12 month build time.
I think we will see alot more of the 9mm around as they seem to be becoming more and more popular.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll love it.  The only thing better than a 9mm 1911 is one chambered in .38 super.  The .38 super, however, takes some dedication to reloading or paying a premium for ammo.  You've chosen wisely.  
View Quote

Or

.45 gun, 38 Super barrel re-chambered for a ..45 size case necked to .38 for .357 Mag velocities and better and still able to feed wad-cutters to include those as designed by Jim Cirrillo of the NYPD Stakeout squad.
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/38-45_safestop.htm
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a lowly RIA tactical in 9mm it is my favorite pistol to shoot.  A 9mm 1911 will make you look like a damn good shot at the range    I use metalform mags and have never had an issue with it.  David
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got a lowly RIA tactical in 9mm it is my favorite pistol to shoot.  A 9mm 1911 will make you look like a damn good shot at the range    I use metalform mags and have never had an issue with it.  David
View Quote

I too have the 9mm RIA Tactical  - I wanted to try out a 9mm 1911 but didn't want to break the bank - I love shooting it at the range and have had no issues with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Considering a full size Wilson Combat CQB and like to get one in 9mm but I don't know if it will be as reliable as a 45. Opinions and experience on this will be much appreciated.
View Quote

Wilson has cracked the 9mm 1911 at this point.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:11:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but I don't think anyone would accuse a 9mm version of being as reliable as the .45. They are just a little more sensitive to load, recoil spring weight, etc. Wilsons have gotten crazy expensive. You should be able to get a full house from the Springfield Custom Shop for 500 or so less. Les Baer or RRA would also be a lot cheaper. That said, if you are going to get a CQB in .45, then a complementary one in 9mm makes all the sense in the world.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:09:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

True, but I don't think anyone would accuse a 9mm version of being as reliable as the .45. They are just a little more sensitive to load, recoil spring weight, etc. Wilsons have gotten crazy expensive. You should be able to get a full house from the Springfield Custom Shop for 500 or so less. Les Baer or RRA would also be a lot cheaper. That said, if you are going to get a CQB in .45, then a complementary one in 9mm makes all the sense in the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A SACS 1911 9mm will run you 2500-3000, not 500.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Or

.45 gun, 38 Super barrel re-chambered for a ..45 size case necked to .38 for .357 Mag velocities and better and still able to feed wad-cutters to include those as designed by Jim Cirrillo of the NYPD Stakeout squad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

I too am a fan of 38 Super and have two and own several 9mm 1911s but if we are going to throw out weird esoteric chamberings of the 1911 just get a 9X23.

Colt did a short run of them and I was lucky enough to pick one up but have never fired it
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I too am a fan of 38 Super and have two and own several 9mm 1911s but if we are going to throw out weird esoteric chamberings of the 1911 just get a 9X23.

Colt did a short run of them and I was lucky enough to pick one up but have never fired it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

The 38-45 is a dead cartridge, there are others that do exactly what it set out to do with readily available brass and competition support.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having shot and owned 1911's in 45 acp over the last 40 years there is nothing finicky about a 9mm 1911 ..........I built two from scratch and converted a 45 acp to 9mm.................use top quality components and quality magazines...........and indeed a ramped barrel..........wouldnt have it any other way........period, end of story
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes.

I did. I just got an STI Trojan. I love this thing. It's the most fun to shoot gun I own.

Plus, it's so overbuilt for 9mm, it'll probably outlive me.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#22]
OP,

Don't underestimate the SIG line of 1911s.  I know they're frowned upon here, but mine has been 100% and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP,

Don't underestimate the SIG line of 1911s.  I know they're frowned upon here, but mine has been 100% and I couldn't be happier.
View Quote

I agree.  If the external extractor and firing pin safety don't bother you the sigs are a great option
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Well since making the post I have gotten cold feet and going to get a Wilson in 45. Just felt for the amount of things I sold to afford one I should get a Wilson in 45. I still want to get a 1911 in 9mm just going to have to make it the next one. Also I think 9mm 1911s are getting more popular and possibly the future for 1911 shooters. So I don't want people to take my decision wrong, putting up 3300 is really out there for me and wanted to minimize buyer's remorse.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]
You're still gonna regret you didn't get 38 Super though
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I just picked up a stainless Springfield RO in 9mm.

Have not been to the range yet but it is a nice pistol and my first Springfield.

"New out of the box" it needed a complete disassembly and cleaning - like it wasn't cleaned or oiled very good after machining.

Also looked at the Colt Competition 9mm at the gun show this past weekend and that is a fine pistol too.

This is my experiment with a 1911 9mm so I'll see how I like it then think about a better pistol if necessary.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#27]
SACS says the 9mm TRPRO is almost done, just needs to be coated.

Should be interesting when it's done.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Do eet.  Picked this up a couple weeks ago.

Put a couple hundred rounds through it, ran fine.  No malfunctions. I am happy with it for the most part.  Couple things that do kinda irk me for a $1700 pistol.  They could have blended the magwell better. The thumb safety was sharp on the under side had to have my smith dehorn it a tad. And it does have just a tiny amount of play up front on the slide/frame fit.  But it is very soft shooting and very accurate.  

Sir James...
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:04:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he meant 500 less than the WC not 500 flat... Although that would be awesome if you could get a SACS for 500 bucks
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:14:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, 500 or so LESS than the Wilson.

I reached out to SACS recently to price a 5" 9mm. Their prices, and their wait, have definitely gone up. Of the two I would expect the Wilson to see slightly higher resale value, FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#32]
My biggest question when deciding on a 9mm 1911 is double or single stack?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have 3 1911's in 9mm (DW,and 2 kimber stainless II's)and one RIA standard FS 1911 in super 38 and all run flawless........I sold all my .45 caliber 1911's to buy these and have never looked back or regretted my decision.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#34]
SA ROTRPRO? arrives Monday.

I'm kinda curious what it'll look like
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My biggest question when deciding on a 9mm 1911 is double or single stack?
View Quote

both
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anxiously waiting Monday for pics.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:53:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Let me start by saying I've been a polymer gun guy for the last 25 years when I traded my Beretta 92F in for a glock.. I really never had any further interest in buying a steel gun, with the exception of a nice 1911 .45 years ago, which literally has just sat in my safe for the past 20 years or so with only an extremely rare trip to the range.  Loved the accuracy and feel of the 1911, but it never took my favor over my glocks.  

About 8 months ago, I started shooting 3-gun, and I fell in love with the excitement of competing and spending time at the range (Up until that point, I had only shot action rifle matches).  I started with my glock 19, and in the first match I realized I needed some customization in order to compete (starting with the crappy stock trigger) and perhaps a longer barrel/site radius.  I then bought a Glock 34, and again the trigger was crap.  I started looking at getting a full custom race gun (such as a Taran Tactical package), and I just didn't want to drop another $1K into a glock on top of price of the gun.  

The more I went to competitions, the more I saw STI 2011's being used, and people had nothing but good things to say about them.. and people that had them could shoot fast, flat, and compete with them.  I must admit, that up until I started shooting 3-gun, I had never even heard or cared about STI.  One of the guys finally let me shoot a mag through his STI Maurader 2011 9mm, and I was immediately sold!  And I mean sold as in the moment I got home, I started shopping for one.    I ended up buying a STI DVC limited in 9mm, and I almost hate shooting any of my glocks now (but my glocks remain my carry guns).  

It's true that the mags can be finicky, so test them before a match or you decide to carry with one.  I see some of the guys in matches won't even let their mags drop free from their guns, they quickly pocket their empty mag and re-load.  I try not to drop mine in loose dirt or sand also.  Sure it takes an extra second or so, but since I'm not shooting nationals I'd rather keep my mag running 100% without worrying about it.  The STI 9mm makes up for it in it's ability to shoot incredibly flat, accurately, and quickly.  

I'm now a huge fan of the STI, the 1911 platform, and the 2011 platform.  If you are thinking of getting one, do it.  They are just a joy to shoot compared to glocks, M&P's, and others IMO.  While I'll never give up my glock for carry, the 2011 is absolutely my favorite gun to target shoot with!

And now I find myself eyeing other STI guns to buy.. it's a sickness, once you have one, you want another!  So you've been warned.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't much care for 9mm or .45 and have two 1911's in 10mm. However, since the OP was wanting comments on the 9mm 1911, I would have to agree that I would also suggest a 38 Super over a 9mm. I shot a 38 Super Colt 1911 20 years ago for the first time and it was one of the most accurate, flat shooting 1911's I have ever fired. I was impressed with the accuracy, but, like the 9mm, not with the stopping power. That's why I gave up the .45 and went to 10mm in a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You're going to love it. It'll be cheaper to shoot just as accurate and hold more rounds. I think with new 9mm magazines on the market a lot of the reliability issues have been mitigated.
View Quote

The McCormick mags work great!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You're still gonna regret you didn't get 38 Super though
View Quote

Of course he will; everybody does until they give in and do the right thing. A .38 Super 1911 is an awesome pistol.
The knowledge that he should have gotten one will be a persistent earworm: a small, quiet voice in his brain that whispers ".38 Super" until he accepts Truth.

I bought a 1911 in 9x19 once, but I did it just so I could swap the 9x19 barrel for one in 7.62x25 (Tokarev).
I shoot 9x19 out of HiPowers, as God and JMB intended.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Argh, waiting for FedEx
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm running MecGar & metalforms w/out any issues.. For those new to the hand gun game or unfamiliar with mecgar. They've been making mags for a number of hand guns for a long time.  

Picked up a SA RO 2 weeks ago, added the stainless loaded this weekend. Probably going to get the compact for the wife this anniversary.  I know once she shoots the full size, one of them will disappear to her gun safe. Or she'll want one of the compacts.

If we ever get divorced. I want Her Gun Collection
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#45]
When everyone was talking about the best single stack 9mm I bought this...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top