Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 8:59:34 AM EDT
I currently have a Beretta 92 and was wanting to
go a 1911 in 45 ACP for a home defense/family gun.
Planned on getting a 22 conversion and then working
the family up too 45 ACP.
I've also thought about possibly Magna Porting to
elleviate muzzle flip.
Thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about muzzle flip with .45, in my experience it's more of a solid push than a flip.  .40 snaps, and for that reason the only auto pistol calibers I use are 9mm and .45.

Just go for it!  .45 is my go to carry round, 9mm for slinging lead in bulk.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if you reload but you can load down some LSWC's for accuracy and that will give you some pretty easy shooting tack driving out of a 5" gun.

my recipe:

for 45 ACP:

Oregon Trail 200 LSWC

N310 Vihtavuori

Starline Brass

Winchester Large pistol primers

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
skip the porting and maybe look into 9mm 1911s if you think a 45 acp would be to much gun for the whole family.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know if you reload but you can load down some LSWC's for accuracy and that will give you some pretty easy shooting tack driving out of a 5" gun.
my recipe:

for 45 ACP:

Oregon Trail 200 LSWC

N310 Vihtavuori

Starline Brass

View Quote

Or even better yet 185 SWCs. It really makes the 1911 a comfortable gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife was afraid of 45 because it's "big and scary looking" but she enjoys shooting it more than 9mm....go figure
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Ported guns are a horrible idea for self defense IMHO

.45 pushes, it doesnt flip.

The noise of it going off is generally what makes people shoot them bad, not the recoil.

Case in point, I took a female to a range. She had very little experience with guns. I first gave her a suppressed 1911. She shot it VERY well for several mags. I mean boardering on what serious shooters can. Nice tight group.

Gave her a unsuppressed 1911. She was all over the place. Even remarked how it "kicked" so much more than the other. Well thats not true, the only difference is how much noise was produced.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My wife was afraid of 45 because it's "big and scary looking" but she enjoys shooting it more than 9mm....go figure
View Quote

6'3  280 and so do i. 9 mm is "snappy" .45 straight push back.   Easier to control.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll take "38 Super" for the win please
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The noise of it going off is generally what makes people shoot them bad, not the recoil.

Case in point, I took a female to a range. She had very little experience with guns. I first gave her a suppressed 1911. She shot it VERY well for several mags. I mean boardering on what serious shooters can. Nice tight group.

Gave her a unsuppressed 1911. She was all over the place. Even remarked how it "kicked" so much more than the other. Well thats not true, the only difference is how much noise was produced.
View Quote

And maybe the extra weight on the front due to the suppressor!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They recoil very similar.

I dont buy into the fact that suppressors "reduce recoil"

I have 3 cans and none reduce recoil, if anything they increase recoil due to the increase in backpressure, which the weight doesnt make up for IMHO
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
5" 1911 in 9mm is the correct answer
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#13]
My springer 9mm feels like I'm shooting a 22lr especially with the reloads I use. Possibly the gun my wife thinks is the most fun right next to the 10/22.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I currently have a Beretta 92 and was wanting to
go a 1911 in 45 ACP for a home defense/family gun.
Planned on getting a 22 conversion and then working
the family up too 45 ACP.
I've also thought about possibly Magna Porting to
elleviate muzzle flip.
Thoughts on this?
View Quote

The 45 is a low pressure round and the bore is quite large while the case volume is relatively small.
The initial chamber pressure is low, and it drops rapidly as the bullet progresses down the bore.

So, there is very little gas pressure for the port to function by the time the bullet reaches the muzzle.
Bottom line, ports do not work on the 45 ACP.
(this is why ported race guns are usually 38 Super).

If you reload, you can create some very mild 45 ACP loads.
I load 200 gr lead SWC for my wife.  Unfortunately, she easily outshoots me every time.

IMO, if you reload, I would definitely go 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it's a great idea.

The 1911's flat and thin grip is easy for women and younger folks to get a solid grip.

The trigger is very easy to teach, since the pull is truly straight back.

I do not find 1911s recoil any more than any other defense pistol, personally.

I would strongly advise against porting. Not only is it unnecessary, the flash could cause issues in a defensive situation.

Furthermore, we are all aware this is the finest defensive pistol ever invented.

Finally, Jesus carries one.

Long story short? JMB got it right. Do it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

my recipe:

for 45 ACP:

Oregon Trail 200 LSWC
N310 Vihtavuori
Starline Brass

View Quote

Great advice. There are commercial reloaders that specialize in this.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have 3 cans and none reduce recoil, if anything they increase recoil due to the increase in backpressure, which the weight doesnt make up for IMHO
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think he was referring to reduced recoil as a benefit of the suppressor, but the additional weight that is sitting on the end of the barrel...which does help with muzzle rise.

That said, especially with new shooters, you are 100% correct that the noise is the killer of accuracy.  They are so focused on bracing themselves for the noise that they often over-compensate in anticipation of the shot.  You could argue that they are preparing for recoil, but if you trade out weapons with varying levels of recoil but relatively the same amount of noise I rarely see an improvement in accuracy.

Good test, put a snap cap at random in each magazine and mix the magazines up.  Wait to see how they react when nothing happens.  It's actually a really good test for seasoned shooters as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
if you hand load you can go to a 152/155 or 180/185, between 3.5 and 4.5 grains of powder, and a lighter recoil spring.  

Win all around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I carry 1911s but, for a house pistol I bought a Jericho 941 in 45acp.
It's heavy steel to absorb recoil, has a rail for mounting lights and comes with ten round mags.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a STI Ranger II 4.15" 1911 45ACP for my house gun. I have a Colt XSE LW Commander 45ACP for carry. My daughter(45yrs old), granddaughter (20yrs old), and everyone else in my family loves them. My granddaughter thought it would kick too much. So I told her try one shot if you don't like it put it down and I give you a different gun to shoot.  She shot 3 rounds and turned to me with an ear to ear grin and asked if she could shoot it some more!!!  She went thru 8 mags before she took a break. Then asked me how much does one cost, I want one. Every time I go visit them I HAVE to bring a 1911 so we can go shooting!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top