Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2016 12:31:25 PM EDT
Getting ready to pull the trigger and I have narrowed it down to a TRP Operator or the M45A1. Leaning towards the Colt. I like the undercut trigger guard and the plain sights. Don't really want the magwell like the TRP. Opinions either way? Making the call later today.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Get one of the all black m45a1's like I did. Then get the trp later.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The m45 has a S80 FP safety and SACS is 10 times better than Colt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I vote for the TRP simply because it dispenses with the Series 80 crap.  Here's a picture of mine:

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#4]
M45A1.  It's a very, very soft-shooting 1911 that will last longer between spring replacement than a conventionally-sprung 1911.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for answers. I'm in the same boat as OP. I dislike the magwell and the TRP Operator sights aren't really my thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
How about the Colt Combat Unit Rail Gun?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't get the hots for the M45, or really for Colt for that matter.  The several I handled were nothing special, I'd put my SA Operator up against them any day, ESPECIALLY if spending my own money.

Sights are easy enough to change and I don't see that many people carrying a full size 1911 where it'd snag on adjustable sights, or running it anywhere hard enough that adjustable rear sights are holding them back.

I've never had a factory gun that I was happy with the zero.  With adjustable sights, you can usually get a dead-nuts zero to your weapon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Still haven't called, was holding out for a source that didn't come through. Never had an issue with Series 80 setup. I think the M45 it shall be..........unless I get that Sabatti Rover Tactical .308. Decisions Decisions.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
That colt would compare more to the mc or loaded operator than the TRP. No checkering, magwell or bull barrel. Plus they both have Novak sights. Not sure how I feel about the tan finally she on the colt.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd buy the Colt 100 times over.

I prefer series 80 parts, and I've shot several Springfield pistols and none of them particularly impressed me. The Colts I've been exposed to see to have had better fit barrels and bushings, and better slide to frame clearance. Some Springfield guns are tighter than I prefer in slide to frame fit. I also don't like the stock Springfield safeties, and their slide serrations are fucking ugly.

The only place where Springfield beats Colt is in finish. I prefer park or Armory Kote to bluing any day, and I don't like stainless steel guns.

Also the trigger on the last Colt pistol I bought was good enough to rival a Wilson in terms of crispness, take up, and over travel. Only difference was my Colt was about 5.5#, which I think is perfectly acceptable.

Read this Loose Rounds article on the O1991:

https://looserounds.com/2012/04/05/colt-gov-model-1911-test/

I shot a group out of my O1991 with Wilson match ammo when I first got it and achieved very similar results. In my opinion the real limitation was the stock sights, as I prefer Novak sights.

Call me a brand loyalist, but Colt has earned my loyalty with their products. I've just had really good luck with them, and I've never been impressed with an off the shelf Springfield gun.

That said... Springfield Armory Custom Shop is among the best 1911 shops out there by far. So good that I sent them my Colt.

So if I were you, I'd make the same choice that the Marine Corps did. The Colt M45A1. We have a member here who's issued one, and he likes it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me first say that I LOVE Colts!  I have about 10 mostly older Colt 1911's in my safe and only two Springfields.

I enjoy my two Springfields more than my Colts when it comes to shooting them.  My TRP and Loaded models tend to go to the range with me the most.

I HATE the tan Colts.  HATE.  I wasn't too impressed with the two Colt Railguns I owned either. Sold them both.  They seemed sloppy, loose, etc.  Not that the rail gun is what you are looking at, but that is my experience.  The TRP's are just built good!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Screw the series 80 safety crap.

TRP / 100%
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope you chose wisely OP
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
TRP. MARSOC continued to have problems with the Colts, even post-adoption after the slide re-design.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I can see that I am not gonna be any help. Get both OP.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I made a good decision. I am going to buy a frame and slide, and send them off to Cylinder & Slide to build me something.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought the M45A1 was pretty low production? If that's accurate, there's your answer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think I made a good decision. I am going to buy a frame and slide, and send them off to Cylinder & Slide to build me something.
View Quote
This sounds like an excellent decision!

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably a good choice.  Like the poster above I also have both.  A TRP Operator and an M45A1.  Both are excellent shooters in stock form and have had zero reliability issues with either using Wilson mags.  My TRP has many more rounds than the M45 but I've only had the Colt since late last year.  The TRP has several thousand rounds through it but now has a Storm Lake threaded barrel with match bushing and a GI recoil spring system.  I did this for suppressor use.

I'm not sure I could pick between the two but if I had to, it'd be the TRP.  Just a better feature set for the money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
TRP
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TRP
View Quote

whatever this guy says.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I was in the same boat as you back around the beginning of the year, went with the ion bond m45 and couldn't be happier. Love shooting the pistol and it's been flawless in probably 2kish rounds.

A fairly nice trigger and soft shooting make it possible for me to shoot well without much trouble.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:43:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thought the M45A1 was pretty low production? If that's accurate, there's your answer.
View Quote

Meh.

It's an S80.

Can't unfuck that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Sure you can! They make filler plates and everything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Meh.

It's an S80.

Can't unfuck that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.

It's an S80.

Can't unfuck that.

But you can unfuck a series 70 style gun.

It just costs a lot of money to get it drilled out for the S80 parts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#26]
TRP no question.  Between the two the SA has superior CS, lifetime warranty, and is a higher end 1911.

Only complaint I have about the TRP is they use 20lpi front strap checkering and I prefer the 25lpi other than that I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#27]
No experience with the TRP but I love my M45.  Carry it daily.  No problems with it so far, little under 1k down range.  Shoots very smooth also.

ETA: carry with the clip draw, iwb appendix.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

whatever this guy says.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TRP

whatever this guy says.

The colt is a good gun but I've had an excellent experience with Springfield Armory which spans over several of their 1911's.

I say TRP based on the fact mine has yet to choke on anything and I treat it like my glocks. Plus it is series 70.

If it were me.... I would get (and want) a range officer operator. Then send it to SACS for sights, 30LPI checkering, and flat black Cerakote. Cost would equal that of the TRP operator and be uniquely yours.

The only thing I would change on my TRP would be the front cocking serrations and go with 30 LPI over the 20 on the front strap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#29]
All these recommendations for the TRP is making me feel really good about my trade I made over the weekend. I'm now officially a TRP owner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
All these recommendations for the TRP is making me feel really good about my trade I made over the weekend. I'm now officially a TRP owner.
View Quote

Congrats!  They're fantastic shooters.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#31]

TRP all the way..!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I feel like I did pretty well. I traded a Burris XTR II 3-15 and a LaRue mount for it. I was in the package for about $1050. Mine was brand new and his was brand new and we did a straight across trade.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I love my Wiley Clapp Commander, but I would get the TRP in a heartbeat!

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks, I feel like I did pretty well. I traded a Burris XTR II 3-15 and a LaRue mount for it. I was in the package for about $1050. Mine was brand new and his was brand new and we did a straight across trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well done
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#35]
TRP for sure IMO..
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#36]
M45A1, will hold value better than used TRP's.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is that?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Why is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?

Because EVERYONE knows Colt 1911. So 10 years from now, a COLT 1911 M45A1 will still be worth as much as it is now. TRP might be, might not be. But generally in a panic or used market the name does sell more than performance. And most NON gun people still know the word Colt 1911 or "colt 45". Not too many people outside of the shooting wrold knows what the hell a "TRP" is. Just saying.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Meh.
It's an S80.
Can't unfuck that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.
It's an S80.
Can't unfuck that.

S80 is a non-issue and has been for years. Catch up. Also, I need to hear about "rattles" and "tight being better" for the nine millionth time to make my day complete.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#40]

TRP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top