Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2016 12:42:58 PM EDT
These pistols appear to be nearly identical models, save for roll marks and the UTC comes with 3 8 round magazines and the TRS comes with 3 7 rounders.

Why does the TRS have 7 round mags and not 8?

What is the logic behind that?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Clint Smith speced it that way. And the TRS has slim grips.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
10 4.

Why would you willingly give up one round?

Is there that big a difference in performance between 7 and 8 round mags?

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
10 4.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 4.

The original 1911 was designed for a seven round magazine, I'm ASSuming Clint thinks it's more true to the original design.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
10 4.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 4.

7 round magazines tend to be more reliable in a wider variety of guns, and are less sensitive to bad springs. Also the first round nosediving into the feed ramp is far less common with 7 round mags. (I've never experienced it at all in a 7 rounder.)

I refuse to use 8 round magazines in a 1911.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
TRS and UTC identical guns less magazine differences ....both have thin grip panels. Les just doesn't want to pay Clint so he left the TRS logo off. Here is mine minus front cocking serrations
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the same gun as Rod, over 2,500 rounds down the pipe now, not a single issue.  The lockup is the tightest I have ever seen on a 1911. They are fantastic guns, especially when considering the price.  Not sure how to describe it, other than saying every Baer I have handled or shot has the built like a brick shithouse feeling to it.  They feel very solid, almost over built to be abused, it's a feeling I don't even get from my Wilson.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
what started my quest for an LB was seeing some on arf where thenfinish is well worn...that just tells me the gun is being used and the owner owner is cimmitted to mastering that pistol.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what started my quest for an LB was seeing some on arf where thenfinish is well worn...that just tells me the gun is being used and the owner owner is cimmitted to mastering that pistol.

View Quote

Oh you want dirty pics....here is one from a 500 round session where she performed as advertised I use Wilson 47 d mags in all my 1911's so I couldn't tell you what to expect from the Baer factory mags but I wouldn't sweat it

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
you bunch of damn enablers.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is my UTC complete with idiot scratch.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Your UTC is set up pretty much how I want mine to be.   Maxwell and Heinie night sights.

I will definitely be adding VZ Grips, but not sure on the color or pattern.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine are the stock night sight painted white and a 10-8 rear.
The magwell is a S&A which required a lot of grinding to fit. It was already screwed up and had been sitting in a box for a couple of years, so I figured I couldn't make it any worse. LOL.

Edit:

While I don't mind FCS on blue/black guns, I wish I had ordered one with out them. Les Baer's just look awesome sans FCS.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Baer factory mags suck! I only use wilson etm 8rd mags for range / competition. Over 5,000 rds only malfunction I ever had was 1 single ftf with a baer factory mag.  
  My utc has Dawson fiber optic front black rear sights and an Ed brown magwell installed by alchemey. They do awesome work.
Love the gun utc is same as trs except roll marks. Same thin grips etc.
I wish I didn't have front cocking serrations though.
There is a guy on 1911forum with well over 30k rds on his Baer with no major problems! Sorry I don't have the link.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine shows holster wear, but not much. More so in person, however.

I carried it on duty (investigator, not patrol), serving felony warrants, etc...

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#15]
And the Home Depot tool bags make a perfect range bag for the Baer. For less than $20 they are very stout and a perfect color match for the sporty Baer patch

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Love mine.   It'd be the last 45 I'd get rid of, and that's saying something.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/trs-range11_zps50a8c09d.jpg

Love mine.   It'd be the last 45 I'd get rid of, and that's saying something.
View Quote
That's what I'm talking about.

Love the holster wear, love the way that pistol just begs to be used.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

my utc has slim grips too

ETA:  Mine after about 500 rds this last weekend.  Never had a single malfunction with it.  Great gun.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Love those pics of Baers that aren't just BBQ guns!  I only have about 1,000 through my PII so far, but I'm working on it...

For those of you with high round count Baers, are your pistols still bank vault tight at lockup with no wiggle?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Love those pics of Baers that aren't just BBQ guns!  I only have about 1,000 through my PII so far, but I'm working on it...

For those of you with high round count Baers, are your pistols still bank vault tight at lockup with no wiggle?  Just curious.
View Quote

Not to high of round count but in 5k rds she is just as tight as when new!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great to know, thanks!  So it's still tough to rack as well or has that aspect eased up?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Great to know, thanks!  So it's still tough to rack as well or has that aspect eased up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine wasn't extremely hard to rack like some people post online to begin with. It's harder to rack than my kimber for sure. But not by a ton. I also think it is the same as the day I bought it. Maybe a tiny bit smoother. Hard to tell since I'm so used to it if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Makes total sense.  Thanks for your comments.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Like everyone else said the UTC\TRS are the same.  LB isn't known for making great mags so you will want to upgrade them to something else anyways (Wilson or Tripp)

Here is my Custom Carry I special ordered about 8 years ago.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#25]
They are one in the same. I am lucky enough to have a consecutive set from 2000. Notice the low serial number. This is my shooter that lives in a Kydex holster hence the marks on it. I have used it twice to finish off wild hogs on a hunt in a FL..

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#26]
didn't much care for the TRS logo myself....

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

slide to frame is as tight as when I got it.  Lockup isn't as tight as new obviously but still very tight.  Put it this way - the lockup is still tighter than most new 1911s
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

slide to frame is as tight as when I got it.  Lockup isn't as tight as new obviously but still very tight.  Put it this way - the lockup is still tighter than most new 1911s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice....do you have any idea how many rounds you have through that bad boy?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
didn't much care for the TRS logo myself....

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/asiparks/_DSF7718_zpsbtlgetil.jpg
View Quote

Very nice.  I didn't either so I ordered a Custom Carry spec'ed similarly as the TRS minus the thin grips and solid trigger.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a whole lot - definately less than 4K.  I'd say the lockup is "worn in."
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 5:04:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Baer factory mags suck! I only use wilson etm 8rd mags for range / competition. Over 5,000 rds only malfunction I ever had was 1 single ftf with a baer factory mag.  
  My utc has Dawson fiber optic front black rear sights and an Ed brown magwell installed by alchemey. They do awesome work.
There is a guy on 1911forum with well over 30k rds on his Baer with no major problems! Sorry I don't have the link.

<a href="http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/grabagear2/media/5536F377-FDDD-460F-B300-D4D28F5CCB72.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s385/grabagear2/5536F377-FDDD-460F-B300-D4D28F5CCB72.jpg</a>
View Quote

how do you get one w/out front cocking serrations?  special order?  they aren't a deal breaker for me, but their absence does make for a cleaner looking pistol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

how do you get one w/out front cocking serrations?  special order?  they aren't a deal breaker for me, but their absence does make for a cleaner looking pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/grabagear2/media/5536F377-FDDD-460F-B300-D4D28F5CCB72.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s385/grabagear2/5536F377-FDDD-460F-B300-D4D28F5CCB72.jpg</a>

I reached out to a couple of bears larger Dealers to check inventory on guns minus the FCS.  crazy John at 1911heaven.com had one in stock and shipped it as soon as we hung up the phone. Give him a call he has a large inventory of Baers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top