Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2016 8:52:27 PM EDT
Picked up a 70 series colt today.  Serial number shows it a 1977 model.  

Has a lot of finish wear on the slide, barrel/slide rails looks like its been shot a bit, but functions great and has a great trigger.  

It looks like maybe the trigger, safety, and beavertail are aftermarket?  

Got it for $700 w/ a triple k holster, new wilson combat grips and a 47D magazine.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what the market is like these days.  But I have a Colt almost exactly like that and think you done OK.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks to be a "k frame S&W rear sight" would live to see a couple of additional pics......I would say pretty good grab at $700
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks to be a "k frame S&W rear sight" would live to see a couple of additional pics......I would say pretty good grab at $700
View Quote

And it looks like maybe a Kings grip safety, not sure about the thumb safety.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a shooter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, it does look like a S&W sight..didn't notice that.
There is also B. Hill stamped on the bottom of the slide.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice! Needs something from Milt Sparks to carry it in and you'll be set.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone put a little love in her....I bet she shoots well.....Eta: ejection port lowered along with barrel bushing , trigger etc...as I said I bet she shoots well
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#8]
You did horrible, seller saw a sucker coming when you walked in. I'll do you a favor & take it off your hands for what you've invested since I'm a nice guy

All kidding aside, considering all the modifications already done (with what looks like quality parts) I think you did very well. My LGS's, if they get any 70 series Colt its automatically in the price range of $700+

How's it shoot? Bet its a blast with those S&W style sites
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
What name is stamped on the cocking pawl
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What name is stamped on the cocking pawl
View Quote

Looks like "B. Hill"  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Classic 1970's custom 45 before Wilson Novak etc. the S&W sights were a common mod back then. 700 is certainly fair but the value is as a shooter not a collector unless B.Hill can be researched and found to be say an apprentice of Novak or Swenson
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Looks like a cool gun with some neat 70s era mods.  I'd pay $700 for it.

From a little bit of research, it looks like the work was done by Burke Hill out of Phoenix AZ.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice vintage piece. I would have bought it at that price too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#14]
You did really well for a '70's series shooter!

I've paid more for lesser quality Colts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies and the info.  

Shot it today and it shot excellent.  Ejected brass a bit funny (right back at me at times), but ran 100%.  

The trigger felt great dry firing it, and shooting it was just as good.  Almost as good as my Baer.  

I honestly kinda bought it with the intent to shoot it some, and maybe trade it off later, but I'm not sure.  It has the 'right' kind of wear, and history to be something I might hang onto for awhile.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#16]

I would replace all of the springs and take a look at the extractor and ejector.

I would bet that the guy who had that gun built put a good amount of rounds down range with it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies and the info.  

Shot it today and it shot excellent.  Ejected brass a bit funny (right back at me at times), but ran 100%.  
The trigger felt great dry firing it, and shooting it was just as good.  Almost as good as my Baer.  

I honestly kinda bought it with the intent to shoot it some, and maybe trade it off later, but I'm not sure.  It has the 'right' kind of wear, and history to be something I might hang onto for awhile.  

View Quote

In the even you do decide to pass it along to someone else, whether by trade or selling, I would be interested. I was also "made" in 1977, and would love to have a birth year piece.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#18]
You have a very rare and valuable 1911. It's not widely known but B Hill was Benny Hill the British actor. He was quite the 1911 pistol smith back before he took up comedy. But seriously folks. Nice shooter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Like your old school custom target pistol setup. I also have a one with similar setup (S&W revolver rear sight  but with GI grip safety).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top