Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2016 12:20:50 PM EDT
I know nothing about 1911's other than they are pistols.

What do I need to know about this particular model.

I am thinking about trading a new browning medallion x bolt for the ruger and cash.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Love mine...It's in my carry rotation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you love about it? Can you compare it to others?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Commander edition.  Works great; reliable, decent trigger, more than accurate enough.  Good bang for the buck.  Street price around here is low 600's.  I snagged mine barely used for 575 about a year ago.  Haven't changed anything on it and I doubt I will.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Well built weapon and Ruger has great customer support and a great warranty.      

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's the only 1911 I own.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked one up on Saturday. I bought the nightwatch government length and my only complaint is that the grip safety jiggles just a tiny bit. I gave it a quick clean and lube before shooting ~250 rounds composing of 200 FMJ and 50 JHP through it without a hiccup. The trigger is smooth and consistent, my estimate is in the 5-6 lb. range, which I like for a carry pistol. The night sights are nice and bright as well, but I may add Crimson Trace grips as finances and wife allow. I'm carrying it on the daily as well so we will see how well the finish holds up. Overall, considering I paid ~800 I'm very pleased with the pistol.

Only changes I would make are; CT grips mentioned earlier, a larger safety, and including 2 flush fitting 8rd mags instead of a flush 7 & an extended 8.

As you can tell I'm nitpicking. You won't be disappointed by buying one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a 5" and genuinely enjoyed it as my first 1911. For a USA made firearm with all the features it has, at a price slight higher than 1911s made in the Philippines... it's a home run.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had mine for a little over three years now. I love it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
A few upgrades, just finished the trigger earlier today.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one a while back and liked it, I had no issues with it. I couldn't live with the gawdy lazer etching/engraving. (but thats a personal thing)
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#11]
It could use a checkered front strap, but I would probably buy a Commander length if the right price came my way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know nothing about 1911's other than they are pistols.

What do I need to know about this particular model.

I am thinking about trading a new browning medallion x bolt for the ruger and cash.
View Quote

They are an extremely good value in a low-priced 1911.  New ones can be had for ~$650, so you can do the math on your deal.  I bought one a year ago for exactly that - it is very accurate compared to most, and has an absolutely excellent factory trigger.  Some I have handled only have OK triggers, but some are excellent and break like glass, so try before you buy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a commander with screwed up grips in a trade for a 9mm Sig 2022.  i order some new grips and some wilson combat mags and have ben very happy with the gun.  Someone mentioned the lack of front drip checking, I got the wilson combat checking add-on and it works perfectly!  It's my first 1911 and i would llike to own a Sig, but i have been extremely pleased with this gun.

Thanks,
P@
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

what front sight is that on there?

i have one for a couple of years. I did a triigger job set at 2.5#. changed the recoil spring to a 14 and mainspring to a 19.  fit a new barrel bushing also.   runs pretty good now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#15]
There are a couple good Vids on YouTube on how to fix the loose grip safety. You need more sear spring tension..I have done it to 3 of my 1911's...two being Ruger. Not sure how to attach a link...but it was posted on YouTube by KILL-O-BYTE. Very good info and a super easy fix.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I picked one up on Saturday. I bought the nightwatch government length and my only complaint is that the grip safety jiggles just a tiny bit. I gave it a quick clean and lube before shooting ~250 rounds composing of 200 FMJ and 50 JHP through it without a hiccup. The trigger is smooth and consistent, my estimate is in the 5-6 lb. range, which I like for a carry pistol. The night sights are nice and bright as well, but I may add Crimson Trace grips as finances and wife allow. I'm carrying it on the daily as well so we will see how well the finish holds up. Overall, considering I paid ~800 I'm very pleased with the pistol.

Only changes I would make are; CT grips mentioned earlier, a larger safety, and including 2 flush fitting 8rd mags instead of a flush 7 & an extended 8.

As you can tell I'm nitpicking. You won't be disappointed by buying one.
View Quote

Edited my last post to quote the above grip safety rattle issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top