Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2015 4:03:21 AM EDT
I ended up buying my first 1911 today.  It was a used RIA 1911A1 FS Tactical II.  I ended up getting it for $540 which I felt was a decent price (let me know if I overpayed)!  I have yet to shoot it, but took it home, cleaned it up really well, realized that it was barely shot as there is absolutely no wear on the firearm whatsoever, and took a photo to share with all of you fine people!  
At this point in time I only have two questions.  First, which magazines should I buy for it?  Second, anyone use Hoppes Dri Lube on any of their guns and would this be good for a 1911 or should I stick with the regular lube?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Please forgive my iphone photography skills!
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

Looks like they got ride of that big, crappy billboard rollmark too.

It's been a while but I think you paid the going price for that model. I paid $389 for my RIA USGI model a few years ago. It's been a totally solid gun and worth every penny. Yours should be too and Rovk Island has great customer service if an issue arises.

1911s are old fashioned guns so I use old fashioned lube on mine. Dabs of oil here and there with a dab of grease on the rails.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
old fashioned lube
View Quote
Sperm whale oil has been noticeably hard to get lately.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
old fashioned lube

That's why I just use the......

New fashioned Tetra gun grease.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally took it to the range.  I fired 50 rounds through it.  I had 2 failure to feeds on rounds 11 and 13 through it, most likely due to me limp wristing the firearm.  It's an amazingly fun gun to shoot.  Time to buy more mags, ammo, and a holster!
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't cheap out on mags, buy quality mags and they will make that gun run fine for many years to come.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Many years ago, I asked several people which magazines work best. Everyone came back with Wilson Combat magazines. I never did try anything other that Wilson, so I can't tell you about them. I just know the Wilson's haven't given me any trouble.

AccuBrass.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice pistole.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Dollar for dollar Wilson Combat's Service Mag Plus is the best value for a range mag. $20 gets you a stainless steel 7 round Checkmate magazine with the GI follower, hybrid feed lips, and an extra power Wolff spring.

The only other magazine I'll buy any more is the Tripp Cobra mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top