Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 5:27:57 PM EDT
So I'm thinking about getting a 1911, but know almost nothing about them other than they were the standard issue sidearm of the American military for umpteen years.  But I want to make sure it's something I actually want to have before I commit rather than get one, use it, and find out that it's not what I want at all.

Question one: When I chamber a round and then put the pistol in the hammer down position, can I fire the pistol from the hammer down position by using a stronger trigger pull?  I already own a Ruger P95 and that's how that pistol works.  

Question two: While I'm talking about decocking and placing the pistol in the hammer down position, how does one perform that operation on a 1911?

Question three: Field stripping.  ON my P95, the remove the slide from the frame, I must pull the slide back slightly and pop out the slide release lever and slide the slide forward and off the frame.  Does it work the same way on the 1911?

Question four: does the 1911 have an external safety switch that toggles between safety on and safety off?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
1: no, the 1911 is a single action automatic. With the hammer down the first shot will have to have the hammer pulled back. Google half cock, and single/double action for more info

2: hold the hammer with your off hand, gently pull then release the  trigger and softly bring the hammer down, it's very safe assuming you do it correctly and does not take long to get the hang of

3: there is a slide release takedown just like you described, but also in most cases a barrel bushing, you should YouTube this one. But it's not difficult at all

4: yes, there is an external safety , again some YouTube action and you'll be very familiar very quickly

And congratulations on your choice. The 1911 has a trigger system that is literally second to none, after 100 years of service they are still one of the slimmest and graceful designs out there. John browning was so far ahead of his time that easily 80% of firearms emulate the 1911's function in one way or another.

It's no novelty or old time relic, the 1911 is bar none one of the fastest shooting, ergonomic, and capable platforms out there. I think everyone should own one. You'll quickly find that many nay Sayers have never shot or handled one by the way they talk.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
1. No, a 1911 is a SAO pistol.  If the hammer is not cocked it won't fire.

2.  I always place my thumb on the hammer, pull the trigger and guide it back to the uncocked position slowly and carefully.

3.  Yes

4.  Yes

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So I'm thinking about getting a 1911, but know almost nothing about them other than they were the standard issue sidearm of the American military for umpteen years.  But I want to make sure it's something I actually want to have before I commit rather than get one, use it, and find out that it's not what I want at all.

Question one: When I chamber a round and then put the pistol in the hammer down position, can I fire the pistol from the hammer down position by using a stronger trigger pull?  I already own a Ruger P95 and that's how that pistol works.   No, the 1911 is single action, it will only fire with the hammer cocked.

Question two: While I'm talking about decocking and placing the pistol in the hammer down position, how does one perform that operation on a 1911? You can decock the 1911 by holding the grip with one hand while depressing the grip safety, and the hammer with the other, then pull the trigger and let the hammer down slowly. This is not safe however, since you are lowering the hammer on a chambered round with no safety active. The 1911 is meant to be carried cocked and locked, i.e. hammer cocked, manual safety engaged.

Question three: Field stripping.  ON my P95, the remove the slide from the frame, I must pull the slide back slightly and pop out the slide release lever and slide the slide forward and off the frame.  Does it work the same way on the 1911? The procedure is slightly different with a 1911. Instructions can be found here:   http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/field_strip.html

Question four: does the 1911 have an external safety switch that toggles between safety on and safety off? Yes, in addition to the grip safety there is a manual external safety.

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Question one: When I chamber a round and then put the pistol in the hammer down position, can I fire the pistol from the hammer down position by using a stronger trigger pull?  I already own a Ruger P95 and that's how that pistol works.   No, the 1911 is single action, it will only fire with the hammer cocked.

Question two: While I'm talking about decocking and placing the pistol in the hammer down position, how does one perform that operation on a 1911? You can decock the 1911 by holding the grip with one hand while depressing the grip safety, and the hammer with the other, then pull the trigger and let the hammer down slowly. This is not safe however, since you are lowering the hammer on a chambered round with no safety active. The 1911 is meant to be carried cocked and locked, i.e. hammer cocked, manual safety engaged.

Question three: Field stripping.  ON my P95, the remove the slide from the frame, I must pull the slide back slightly and pop out the slide release lever and slide the slide forward and off the frame.  Does it work the same way on the 1911? The procedure is slightly different with a 1911. Instructions can be found here:   http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/field_strip.html

Question four: does the 1911 have an external safety switch that toggles between safety on and safety off? Yes, in addition to the grip safety there is a manual external safety.

Thanks in advance

This is the best and correct answer.  Although it is certainly possible to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber it is a piss poor idea and is unsafe.  The 1911 is designed to be carried as stated above, loaded chamber, hammer cocked and thumb safety engaged.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Incorrect

While "cocked and locked" is an option there is nothing unsafe about lowering  the hammer when done correctly. If you remove your finger from the trigger after the initial pull , the hammer will rest at half cock. Not in the firing position. In fact not even close and on a separate notch al together. Perfectly 100% safe ...and correct.

A decocker  on other arms works the same way (setting a hammer to half cock) except by dropping it to half cock instead of lowering it manually. Using the firearms features as intended is not a piss poor idea. The key is to remove your finger from the trigger at the correct time. Without proper trigger discipline, every firearm is unsafe.

I have seen blockheads that hold the tail of the grip safety down and the hammer at the same time, then pull the trigger, not release it, and lower the hammer all with one hand. This is a very unsafe and piss poor method. But is also incorrect operation due to lack of knowledge.
View Quote
You really don't understand this but you have found a great way to fuck up your sear engagement surface.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Question one: When I chamber a round and then put the pistol in the hammer down position, can I fire the pistol from the hammer down position by using a stronger trigger pull?  I already own a Ruger P95 and that's how that pistol works.  

SAO

Question two: While I'm talking about decocking and placing the pistol in the hammer down position, how does one perform that operation on a 1911?

Manually decock, depress trigger while gently guiding down the hammer. Do this outside or over a bucket of sand because you might pop one off while doing this. No one but old timers do this, the 1911 really shouldn't be carried hammer down.

Question three: Field stripping.  ON my P95, the remove the slide from the frame, I must pull the slide back slightly and pop out the slide release lever and slide the slide forward and off the frame.  Does it work the same way on the 1911?

yes

Question four: does the 1911 have an external safety switch that toggles between safety on and safety off?

That's inherent in its design.

Thanks in advance
View Quote

1911s are meant to be carried Condition 1. There's no reason to decock them with a round in the chamber. You can't fire them without cocking the hammer and you will eventually pop one off by accident (thus the sand bucket).
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Riding the hammer forward on a chambered round cannot be performed safely.

It's disturbing to see people advocating such an action.

Even forgetting how inherently dangerous it is, why would you do it?  

OP: Either carry it with a magazine inserted, but no round chambered, or learn about carrying it loaded, cocked, and safety on.  Those are your only two options.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1911s are meant to be carried Condition 1. There's no reason to decock them with a round in the chamber. You can't fire them without cocking the hammer and you will eventually pop one off by accident (thus the sand bucket).
View Quote

THIS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top