Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2015 12:46:48 AM EDT
</a>" />Apparently I'm getting a Colt .45 as an anniversary/Christmas gift from the wife. I've explained there are several other 1911's that would be very nice and certainly appreciated. She says all I've talked about is Colt and that's what I'm getting. She's going tomorrow to purchase it and needs exact model. I've narrowed it down to the 1991 model 01091 or the series 70 01070A1CS. I definitely want the stainless frame with rosewood grips. I absolutely love that look and that's what I want. Going back a few pages it seems to me the consensus leans towards the series 70. I have no real knowledge about the 1911's and am hoping for some guidance.

Update: She got it for me. Got it last week. Let me see it "to confirm it was the correct one" but wouldn't let me touch it. Then she wrapped it up and put it right where I see it everytime I open the safe! We're stalling the kids right now to let their presents finish charging. So there will be more updates with pics after while. Plus I'm going shoot this baby today!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Apparently I'm getting a Colt .45 as an anniversary/Christmas gift from the wife. I've explained there are several other 1911's that would be very nice and certainly appreciated. She says all I've talked about is Colt and that's what I'm getting. She's going tomorrow to purchase it and needs exact model. I've narrowed it down to the 1991 model 01091 or the series 70 01070A1CS. I definitely want the stainless frame with rosewood grips. I absolutely love that look and that's what I want. Going back a few pages it seems to me the consensus leans towards the series 70. I have no real knowledge about the 1911's and am hoping for some guidance.
View Quote

If getting a Colt, get an S70.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are just gonna shoot....you can go with a Series 70...that'll be mighty fine.

If you are gonna carry it, go the safe route and get a series 80...

Either model that you have listed will be great.

My carry gun is an 01091 and I've been carrying it for a good ten or twelve years now.  Prior to that I carried one of the billboard M1991A1 in the same series.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you are just gonna shoot....you can go with a Series 70...that'll be mighty fine.

My carry gun is an 01091 and I've been carrying it for a good ten or twelve years now.  Prior to that I carried one of the billboard M1991A1 in the same series.

View Quote
Do you honestly believe that the series 80 has any safety advantage over the series 70?  Get the series 70.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:57:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Do you honestly believe that the series 80 has any safety advantage over the series 70?  Get the series 70.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  Sure do.  It has very serious safety implications.  I do NOT and WILL NOT carry a series 70....not that I haven't....I just no longer do.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yup.  Sure do.  It has very serious safety implications.  I do NOT and WILL NOT carry a series 70....not that I haven't....I just no longer do.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've carried S70 type guns for almost 20 years now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the Series 70.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks y'all. What are the differences between the 70 and 80 series? Just lookin at colts website, the 70's are standard where as the 80's have white dot sights, lowered ejection port and a solid aluminum trigger. I will carry this gun from time to time, but my edc is my glock. I know I can change grips, the trigger, sights, hammer, etc, etc.

Additionally, I didn't mean to start a fight. Y'all were starting to sound like 9 vs 45 in gd!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks y'all. What are the differences between the 70 and 80 series? Just lookin at colts website, the 70's are standard where as the 80's have white dot sights, lowered ejection port and a solid aluminum trigger. I will carry this gun from time to time, but my edc is my glock. I know I can change grips, the trigger, sights, hammer, etc, etc.

Additionally, I didn't mean to start a fight. Y'all were starting to sound like 9 vs 45 in gd!
View Quote

80 series has a lever and plunger system that depresses a FP block located in the slide when the trigger is pulled. It makes it impossible for the FP to hit the primer by inertia.

S70 doesn't.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I have four Colt 1911 model guns.

Never dropped one, yet.  Never had one go off that I didn't intend to go off.

One is a Series 70 and one is a Series 80 and the other two are older, one much, much older.

Someone did a test, some time in the past, and found that if you dropped a loaded 1911 on a hard surface from several feet in the air (5?, 7?, 9? I don't remember) it could go off if the pistol hit the ground on the muzzle because inertia could drive the firing pin downward hard enough to overcome the firing pin return spring and set off the primer, firing the gun.

It's one of those things sort of like cancer causing chemicals in some foods.  Yeah, there are things out there that have been removed from food because they cause cancer - if you eat 20 lbs. a day of it (the ingredient, not the food it's in) every day for 60 years.

Seriously, get the one you want to get.  Most folks will say you can, with work on it, get a nicer trigger out of a Series 70, or earlier, Colt/1911.  Some folks say the Series 70 and earlier guns would be more reliable because they don't have added small parts that can break or get dirty/malfunction.

Good luck with which ever model you get.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Springfields simple solution to this thread is a titanium firing pin light enough its inertia is much less if you do stupid and drop the gun.

As a practical matter, I haven't seen a Colt in a store in months.  I thought they were bankrupt again last spring and reorganizing??

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Springfields simple solution to this thread is a titanium firing pin light enough its inertia is much less if you do stupid and drop the gun.

As a practical matter, I haven't seen a Colt in a store in months.  I thought they were bankrupt again last spring and reorganizing??

View Quote

I've told her several times that are other 1911's out there that are just as nice and nicer. Said all she ever heard from me was colt so that's what it'll be. I'm leaning towards the series 70 because it's stainless with the rosewood grips all ready. However I've already checked out VZ grips and could easily change the black ones out for wood. So really it's on internals. Wouldn't the fp block be better in general for carrying?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've told her several times that are other 1911's out there that are just as nice and nicer. Said all she ever heard from me was colt so that's what it'll be. I'm leaning towards the series 70 because it's stainless with the rosewood grips all ready. However I've already checked out VZ grips and could easily change the black ones out for wood. So really it's on internals. Wouldn't the fp block be better in general for carrying?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many more quality 1911 manufacturers who have no love for the FP safety than those who embrace it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how you look at it. Some prefer the additional drop safety. Others, myself included, prefer the pre-80 design for the sake of simplicity and a better trigger pull. For what it's worth I have put a pretty good trigger in Series 80 guns, just took a bit more work. I shy away from it more because I see it as something else to malfunction - though admittedly I've never had a problem from a Colt so equipped.

My old man, who carried 1911s on duty for years, and I never even agreed on it. He preferred the drop safety, I prefer 1911s without. Comes down to the individual, hard to go wrong either way.

Along with the difference mentioned earlier in the thread, be aware the 1991 model comes with a few plastic parts, the trigger and the mainspring housing. This doesn't matter to me, but it does some people. Also consider that the 1991 has a M1911 pattern long trigger and flat mainspring housing, while the Series 70 has a M1911A1 style short trigger and arched mainspring housing. In that regard, it's impossible to say which is "better" for you without you getting your hands on both.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I myself would go with the series 70 not because of the safety ( have had and carried both my most recent being an m45A1 which the usmc accepted with series 80)
But because I think the short trigger for my small hands and for use with gloves ( which is 6-7 months of the year in my area) is FAR superior to the long trigger.
I personally hate stainless but if that is what you like so be it.
As far as swapping parts keep in mind close to EVERY part in a 1911 of any brand will need careful fitting for optimal function, so you can't just drop stuff on and expect it to work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen them in stores around here, and quite a few with bigger dealers at area gun shows.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm a big fan of Colt's Combat Elite.

*edit*

Not my pic.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3j5ofkko9Dc/maxresdefault.jpg

*edit*

Not my pic.
View Quote

Yeah, I liked that one as well. But the more I looked at it, the more I didn't care for the black slide. Kimber has one that is almost identical to this one that I love, however I know enough about 1911's that I wouldn't own a kimber. There is a all stainless version with black grips, but it only comes in 10mm.

ETA- I told her to go with the series 70.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

*edit*

Not my pic.
View Quote

I'm with John on this one.  I've starting running my CE after making some minor changes to mine and WOW!!!!  I love it!  The knuckle cut turns an already comfortable gun into a VERY comfortable gun!!!!  I like the undercut so much I am having my 01091 and my Delta Done the same way.

That being said...if you REALLY like the Series 70 look but want a Series 80....there is this gem:

Model 01991Z....for those of you with hands the size of hams....the long trigger coupled with the arched MSH might just be the ticket.
As far as Series 70 goes....

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, I liked that one as well. But the more I looked at it, the more I didn't care for the black slide. Kimber has one that is almost identical to this one that I love, however I know enough about 1911's that I wouldn't own a kimber. There is a all stainless version with black grips, but it only comes in 10mm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*edit*

Not my pic.

I think you'll be pleased. BTW, congrats on a great wife!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOLOL!!!  

10mm for the WIN!!!!  

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*edit*

Not my pic.

You DARN WELL BETTER POST PICS WHEN YOU GET IT!!!!!  

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm with John on this one.  I've starting running my CE after making some minor changes to mine and WOW!!!!  I love it!  The knuckle cut turns an already comfortable gun into a VERY comfortable gun!!!!  I like the undercut so much I am having my 01091 and my Delta Done the same way.

That being said...if you REALLY like the Series 70 look but want a Series 80....there is this gem:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82871

Model 01991Z....for those of you with hands the size of hams....the long trigger coupled with the arched MSH might just be the ticket.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*edit*

Not my pic.

First I've seen of those, that is one sharp pistol.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You have no idea how hard it is NOT to buy one.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*edit*

Not my pic.

I had a 1988-made Combat Elite back in the summer that was someone's race gun. Lots of old-school competition parts, and it was stupid-accurate. But it was also a finicky target gun that shot waaayy off if I changed one thing, and since it was prohibitively expensive to put it back the way I wanted it, I moved it along.

Now I want another one, damn it. The only changes they need to be right are an ambi-safety and GI guide rod/plug.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#25]
A new 70 from my safe.....

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*edit*

Not my pic.

In more ways than one.  You will probably be able to shave with it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thousand Dollar Shave Club FOR THE WIN!!!!

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Series 70 for the win.

This is the one I picked up with year. It's your standard brushed stainless S70 Government model. There is nothing really the the S80 adds over this one. The sights are great, and the gun loves wadcutters. This one can chew the black out of a 25 yard target really easily. The gun has worked with zero malfunction, and zero deformation of the brass. That last bit is something you'd sometimes see with guns that lacked the lowered and flared ejection port. This gun doesn't do that. The original grips were nice looking for a laminate, but lacked the medallion a Colt pistol needs to be a Colt, and they were ambi cut.

Not only do I hate an ambi gun. I hate the grips that are cut on a non ambi gun more. I was saving these original grips for something else, but they looked fitting.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#29]
My, my, myyyyyyy......pretty!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Series 70 for the win.

This is the one I picked up with year. It's your standard brushed stainless S70 Government model. There is nothing really the the S80 adds over this one. The sights are great, and the gun loves wadcutters. This one can chew the black out of a 25 yard target really easily. The gun has worked with zero malfunction, and zero deformation of the brass. That last bit is something you'd sometimes see with guns that lacked the lowered and flared ejection port. This gun doesn't do that. The original grips were nice looking for a laminate, but lacked the medallion a Colt pistol needs to be a Colt, and they were ambi cut.

Not only do I hate an ambi gun. I hate the grips that are cut on a non ambi gun more. I was saving these original grips for something else, but they looked fitting.

http://i58.tinypic.com/1oattk.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/28gqsf7.jpg
View Quote

This is what I'm talking about! Absolutely beautiful! This is the kind of heirloom my great grandkids will just say- damn. The blued ones look good in their own right, but this right here is just fine.

I really appreciate all y'all's help. I really do have an awesome wife who I'm inching ever closer into the shooting world. She's starting to appreciate guns more and more. She has an FNX 9 and we just picked her up a s&w m&p sport. Hopefully when she sees this baby, she'll know what I've been talking about.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's a 70 Series 38 super from 1968...sights changed in a non-permanent way ...fun pistol

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

One is a Series 70 and one is a Series 80 and the other two are older, one much, much older.

Someone did a test, some time in the past, and found that if you dropped a loaded 1911 on a hard surface from several feet in the air (5?, 7?, 9? I don't remember) it could go off if the pistol hit the ground on the muzzle because inertia could drive the firing pin downward hard enough to overcome the firing pin return spring and set off the primer, firing the gun.

It's one of those things sort of like cancer causing chemicals in some foods.  Yeah, there are things out there that have been removed from food because they cause cancer - if you eat 20 lbs. a day of it (the ingredient, not the food it's in) every day for 60 years.

Seriously, get the one you want to get.  Most folks will say you can, with work on it, get a nicer trigger out of a Series 70, or earlier, Colt/1911.  Some folks say the Series 70 and earlier guns would be more reliable because they don't have added small parts that can break or get dirty/malfunction.

View Quote

I don't agree with your analogy.  Although I get your point.  But cancer is everywhere in our society and nobody knows why.  I'm not saying it IS chemicals in food.  I'm saying I'm not sure that it ISN'T.  Of course it's in the air, the water and whatever else too.    But I got an email the other day from my wife's employer.  They send out healthy tips and it said processed meats for SURE cause cancer.  Well, to say one way or the other is kind of blowing smoke if you ask me.  I'm not gonna stop eating sausage unless it was proven it WILL for sure.  I don't eat it all the time though.  

Anyways.... that's a rabbit trail and not completely related.  I personally don't mind the Series 80.  Actually I never had a series 80.  I had a schwarz in the kimber.  But for me a super light trigger isn't something I'm striving for.  So.....  I don't think the series 80  takes it up to like 8-9 pounds, does it?  I don't think that Kimber trigger was even 6 pounds though.  It was probably more like 4.5-5......
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

*edit*

Not my pic.
View Quote

I just got back from my favorite lgs having ordered just that!

Should be here sometime next week, depend on if they will be shipping Friday or I have to wait till Monday.

I'm pretty stoked.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Should be here sometime next week, depend on if they will be shipping Friday or I have to wait till Monday.

I'm pretty stoked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*edit*

Not my pic.

I'm pretty stoked.

Dude, they are SWEEET!  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:57:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't agree with your analogy.  Although I get your point.  But cancer is everywhere in our society and nobody knows why.  I'm not saying it IS chemicals in food.  I'm saying I'm not sure that it ISN'T.  Of course it's in the air, the water and whatever else too.    But I got an email the other day from my wife's employer.  They send out healthy tips and it said processed meats for SURE cause cancer.  Well, to say one way or the other is kind of blowing smoke if you ask me.  I'm not gonna stop eating sausage unless it was proven it WILL for sure.  I don't eat it all the time though.  

Anyways.... that's a rabbit trail and not completely related.  I personally don't mind the Series 80.  Actually I never had a series 80.  I had a schwarz in the kimber.  But for me a super light trigger isn't something I'm striving for.  So.....  I don't think the series 80  takes it up to like 8-9 pounds, does it?  I don't think that Kimber trigger was even 6 pounds though.  It was probably more like 4.5-5......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not so much the weight of the pull but the feel. The way most stock Series 80s are fit and timed, there's a noticeable "bump" during takeup. Honestly not a big deal for most shooting, but bugs me none the less as it takes away from what is arguably the 1911's best feature.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#36]
53vortec, I think I know what you mean about a "bump".

I never really noticed it in my Series 80 Government Model, but I do notice it in my CZ P07 and P09 pistols.  The trigger moved back (slack) and stops (hitting the point where it begins to raise the firing pin block upwards), then it stops again (hitting the point where the next tiny little rearward movement releases the hammer), and then it goes bang.  That little bump is there, but between shooting and dry fire I take that up without thinking about it and stop where the firing pin block is moved upwards out of the way.  I may have been doing that with the Colt Series 80 and just not noticed it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#37]
When my wife offered to buy my Colt for my birthday on her dime, I was very happy. The next time I got in her car (next day), I noticed the steering wheel did not center at the top, and the car pulled to one side.. I fixed that on her dime as well. I guess both dimes are ours, but still..... Sounds like you have a keeper of a wiff. Enjoy. Both.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I would prefer a series 80 gun. Either O1991, or XSE.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Never had bad trigger on series 80 1911, if not from the start at least it was easy to make it good.

My XSE is great

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#40]
OP your wife sounds like a keeper! My wife got me a Colt Combat Elite for Christmas this year also. No pics yet since it's in spousal quarantine currently (can't play with it until Xmas). Looks like I'm ordering some nice jewelry this year.... Fair trade!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP your wife sounds like a keeper! My wife got me a Colt Combat Elite for Christmas this year also. No pics yet since it's in spousal quarantine currently (can't play with it until Xmas). Looks like I'm ordering some nice jewelry this year.... Fair trade!
View Quote

I'm im the same boat. I can't look at it, hold it, nothing till Christmas! I even told her she could take everything else she may have gotten right back to wherever it came from. That alone- I'm good. I feel like the little dude from Christmas story and can't wait to go outside with it. Hopefully I'll never shoot my eye out though cause that more than likely won't buff out

I bought her everything she asked for except for the jewelry she wants. However she is getting a cruise to Belize and some other stops for her birthday in March, so that's a fair deal in my book. Although I wanted to go strictly to Belize and go diving, once she found out the dive certs cost more than the actual trip she killed that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#42]

I've shot a lot of Colts, from custom to out of the box, and my Combat Elite is as nice of a pistol as I've seen.  I love mine.

PS: For Valentine's Day have her buy you some nice leather to go with it.  I use an El Paso Saddlery Crosshair.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Outfriggin'standing! I believe the standard S70 Government Model is the best looking 1911 out of all.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Christmas morning and I finally get to play with the new CE. I'm posting this beauty all over arfcom.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Beautiful!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top