Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2015 8:47:29 PM EDT
I love 2011's and have always wondered, how hard would it be to build one up?  I've built a bunch of ar's, worked extensively on benelli's but have zero experience on building 1911/2011 style guns. Fortunately, a good friend of mine has built several and has a lot of the specialized tools required. So after a little research, I started buying parts.  First up was a frame.  I went with a Phoenix Trinity frame simply because I had heard they were held to much tighter tolerances than STI frames and if I'm going to spend hours building a gun, I want it to be tight.  The downside to their frame is it took about 6 months to get.  I also went with there aluminum grip because it looks awesome.  For a slide, I ordered a 5" Caspian for the same reason I went with the Phoenix Trinity, better tolerances.  This also took awhile to get.  Once I finially got a good chunk of the parts, I started work.

First step was to fit the slide to the frame and in order to do that, you need to start measuring.  Brownells has a great cheat sheet.

This is pretty close, the major difference was on A-D. This means i needed to take .05 off of each side.  So its off to the bridgeport.

Right side is done.  Gotta love the digital readout.

After that, time to dykem up the frame rails and see where its hitting...

...and its hitting on the one bottom of the slide.  

I used that special frame rail file shown in the prior picture to slowly remove the last bit of metal.  This took hours as shown by the layers of dykem.  After the slide finially fit on the frame, I used a little lapping compound and then polishing compound to finish it off.  Its tight but not crazy tight.  Looking back, I should have only taken off .04" off of each side.

Here is a mock up picture.

Up next is fitting the beaver tail.  Time spent so far, 5 hours.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding post. Thank you so very much for taking the time to show us this.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
This is going to be cool.  Thanks for posting.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding post.  I'll be following with great interest!!

Do you shoot USPSA, 3-gun, etc?

A PT Steel grip is on my list of parts to get, once I convince myself they're worth the price and performance benefit over a polymer grip.  

Nice choice on trigger too.  I'm getting SV installed next month by George Huening.

What barrel are you doing?  Bull?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm just an old fart and first need to wrap my head around a 9mm 1911.

But nice work and pics
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A PT Steel grip is on my list of parts to get, once I convince myself they're worth the price and performance benefit over a polymer grip.  

Nice choice on trigger too.  I'm getting SV installed next month by George Huening.

View Quote

Yes, i shoot a lot of 3 gun.  I shoot Lim Minor in USPSA for practice for 3 gun.  I went with the SV trigger because it is suppose to be a tighter fit than the STI trigger in the PT grip.  Ive already done some minor fitting on the SV trigger bow but have more to do.  Looking back, I should have bought an SVI grip instead because it already comes with the mainspring housing, trigger base, and mag release.  The Sti mag release that I bought will require some fitting.  

Going with a Briley bushing barrel.  May go with their spherical bushing. Ive never been a fan of bull barrels.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm just an old fart and first need to wrap my head around a 9mm 1911.

But nice work and pics
View Quote

Aside from the whole 3 gun thing, cheap ammo and higher capacity make for a fun gun.  I shot single stack with a .45 for a year and it was fun but expensive.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I am totally tagging this, please keep the pics and info coming. I REALLY, REALLY want to build a 2011, need to get my hands on a frame though (Fucking California.)
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#8]
OST
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am totally tagging this, please keep the pics and info coming. I REALLY, REALLY want to build a 2011, need to get my hands on a frame though (Fucking California.)
View Quote

Check with Phoenix trinity, I think I remember hearing that they were trying to get them CA approved.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Its going to be a complete gun, and a $4K gun at that, if they do. I'll hold out for a scalper LEO "used" STI frame at a sixth to an eighth the price.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've found the PT frame doesn't line up perfectly with the STI grip frame, but hopeful that won't be an issue with the PT grip.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Started on the pre-liminary beavertail fitting.  Got the grip on properly and tested out the beavertail.  It wont take much to fit, will lighlty sand on the left side but theres a little blending to do. Basically need to smooth the transition from beavertail to grip/frame. Need to work on the grip area....

and will also need to work on the top of the beavertail.  The transition from the back of the frame to the beaver tail isnt a smooth line.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you going for Grip Safety Depressed blend or Grip Safety Relaxed blend?

Too...I like that beavertail....whose make is it????
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
awesome thread - tagging this to follow.  looks great so far.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Got to spend some more time on it tonight and got the beaver tail fit.  The main point of contact was the left side as shown below.  I didnt even need dykem to  see the drag marks.  I used sand paper and a perfectly flat marble surface to get it fitted.

Up next was blending the beavertail to the frame.  The idea is to have one smooth surface once the grip safety is fully depressed. Ive got one side pretty close and will work on the otherside next.  If you look on the second picture, the gray area in the sea of shiney metal is whats left.  Used a file, dremel and sandpaper.  Add 2.5 hours to the time total.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, i shoot a lot of 3 gun.  I shoot Lim Minor in USPSA for practice for 3 gun.  I went with the SV trigger because it is suppose to be a tighter fit than the STI trigger in the PT grip.  Ive already done some minor fitting on the SV trigger bow but have more to do.  Looking back, I should have bought an SVI grip instead because it already comes with the mainspring housing, trigger base, and mag release.  The Sti mag release that I bought will require some fitting.  

Going with a Briley bushing barrel.  May go with their spherical bushing. Ive never been a fan of bull barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a fan of the SV's mag release/button combo.  One of the few that I've handled that manages to let me put very firm support hand pressure without releasing the mag.

Please keep up the great updates.  I love watching a great 2011 get built!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow - great post. That pistol looks absolutely badass.

I keep talking myself off the ledge (last struggle was over the weekend) of purchasing an STI 2011 9mm Tactical. It's a constant battle between emotion and rationale

These pics definitely aren't helping things...
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I keep talking myself off the ledge (last struggle was over the weekend) of purchasing an STI 2011 9mm Tactical. It's a constant battle between emotion and rationale

View Quote

If you want a 2011, buy a frame and send it off to a gunsmith to build up.  You'll get exactly what you want with higher quality parts for a just a little more $.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you want a 2011, buy a frame and send it off to a gunsmith to build up.  You'll get exactly what you want with higher quality parts for a just a little more $.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never considered that option, but it's definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've never considered that option, but it's definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some local shooters have used GANS GUNS super fast turn around and fair prices. I haven't used him myself, I'm having ATLAS GUN WORKS build my new L10 gun that will replace my STI DVC as my main gun.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Some local shooters have used GANS GUNS super fast turn around and fair prices. I haven't used him myself, I'm having ATLAS GUN WORKS build my new L10 gun that will replace my STI DVC as my main gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive heard great things about Gans.  I know of one guy that shoots an Atlas gun and he likes it.  For the money, you cant beat Frank Glenn.  

On the build, just got the firing pin and some more sandpaper dremel bits.  Hope to finish up the beavertail this week.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
So still working on fitting the beavertail, the dremel with this particular sanding drum really doesnt take off much metal.  I took a picture each time i switched sanding drums.  The most noticable area is right by the grip to frame area.  Also, this is a donor safety.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Got the top side of the beavertail fixed up, the main thing is making it a smooth transition from the frame to the beavertail.  The one thing i dont like is the casting mark in the second picture and will get that fixed later.  Next up is polishing the beavertail.  I really had no idea that this much work went into a gun.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
OST
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Can we get a total list of tools you have used to complete the project? Building a 1911 seems like a real challenge, but the right tools would make it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Can we get a total list of tools you have used to complete the project? Building a 1911 seems like a real challenge, but the right tools would make it a lot easier.
View Quote

This wont be a complete list because i dont know the name of some of the special tools but here is what ive used so far

Bridgeport
Various files
1911 Frame Rail file http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/slide-tools/1911-auto-slide-frame-rail-file-slide-frame-rail-file-sku080-753-000-849-3202.aspx
sand paper, lots of sand paper, 300-1000 grit
Flitz polish
Lapping compound
vise
i dont know the propper name but its basically a hunk of marble that is perfectly flat and perfectly square.
dowl rod to wrap sandpaper around
Micrometer
dykem
dremel with this tool, ive used two packs of the 240 grit so far http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/abrasives/abrasive-rolls-mandrels/cylinder-rolls-abrasive-cylinder-roll-240-grit-sku591-801-240-8876-22020.aspx

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#27]
        "I dont know the proper name but its basically a hunk of marble that is perfectly flat and perfectly square."
A surface plate.  Usually ( but not always ) made of granite.  Also known as a "tool maker's flat"  Some can be iron and some can be made of a version of
Diorite called Gabbro.  All have different wear, lighting reflection and stiffness properties.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/STARRETT-81803-Granite-Toolmakers-Flat/48100857

LOL....never thought you could get a Starrett flat from Wally Wiener!!!!!  In the link is a 8 X 12 X 2 inch with a .0001 inch flatness rating across the plate.  That's not a darn bad price for this quality of a plate.  These come from Starrett Tru Stone out of Minnesota.  The granite likely comes from the Northeastern U.S. someplace such as Connecticut or Mass.

The Starrett Crystal Pink is what I use. I have them from 18 X 24 X 8 inch to 4 X 8 X 1.5 FEET.  It's a nice, long wearing granite with lots of quartz in it.  If you aren't a retard, you can make this last a long, long time with care.  These particular ones aren't all that "pink" they are more of an orangish-reddish-yellowish color.  MASTER Pink, on the other hand,  IS pink and purple.  I have a AA in my lab that is just plain sexy.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Test fit the barrel.  Will need to dress up the frame as well to smooth up the transition on the feed ramp area.  The bushing will need to be fit as well.  This sucker will be tight!

Now that i have the beaver tail fit, need to fit the safety that ill be using.  As you can see, the bottom of the left side safety needs to be contoured/ blended near the beavertail.  On the right side, need to fit it and probably contour/blend the area.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for all the time posting pics.

Because of that SVI aluminum grip frame, I want a Commander length threaded barrel 2011 so bad it hurts!  Keep the pics coming, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Awesome build OP, definitely loving all the build pics along the way.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Fascinating as always.  

Real interested to see pics/learn about how the blending goes, particularly in the beavertail/safety area.  

In the interest of a high grip, many shooters (myself included at certain times with certain pistols) can develop blisters/bruises there.  Seems like much of that would have been avoided with well-done blending.

Great updates as always!
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I really wish someone made an officer grip frame for 2011's so I could build a CCO.  I've been looking and it seems like it's just full size grip frames with the exception of that one STI model that was made

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Got the safety that will actually used blended. I forgot to get pictures of the finished product, these are the in process pics.   After that, I threw it in the ultra sonic cleaner to get rid of all the gunk from grinding, filing and sanding which smoothed things up considerably.  I started on the trigger, got the strut on the hammer and then realized, I forgot to order a mainspring! Off to Brownell's yet again.  

On the hammer to strut pin, i got it started with a starter punch (like a regular punch but with a hole in the middle to hold the pin) then once it was started enough to retain the strut, i put it in a vise and slowly tightened it to until it was flush.  I didnt want to beat on it with a punch and run the risk of breaking something.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fascinating as always.  

Real interested to see pics/learn about how the blending goes, particularly in the beavertail/safety area.  

In the interest of a high grip, many shooters (myself included at certain times with certain pistols) can develop blisters/bruises there.  Seems like much of that would have been avoided with well-done blending.

Great updates as always!
View Quote

The goal is to make it smooth which takes hand fitting, a dremel can get you part of the way there but you still need to sand it by hand (wrap a dowel rod in sandpaper, tape the edges down) and then polish it up.  It takes a lot of time and this is something that not all real gunsmiths do.  Ive probably got an easy 10 hours in the beavertail/safety area alone!  This whole project has given me a deep respect for those professional gunsmiths out there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Any updates to this gorgeous project?
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any updates to this gorgeous project?
View Quote

I was just about to bump it.  Doing research on barrel fitting.  Already going to send the slide off to get lightened and Im tempted to get my buddy to fit the barrel.  Its just a pain in the ass to setup the end mill.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Started to fit the mag release.  Ive got it 95% and can tell that ill have to contour the right hand side of the release.  

Also broke out the dremel and polished the inside of the grip.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

"I dont know the proper name but its basically a hunk of marble that is perfectly flat and perfectly square."

A surface plate.  Usually ( but not always ) made of granite.  Also known as a "tool maker's flat"  Some can be iron and some can be made of a version of
Diorite called Gabbro.  All have different wear, lighting reflection and stiffness properties.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/STARRETT-81803-Granite-Toolmakers-Flat/48100857

LOL....never thought you could get a Starrett flat from Wally Wiener!!!!!  In the link is a 8 X 12 X 2 inch with a .0001 inch flatness rating across the plate.  That's not a darn bad price for this quality of a plate.  These come from Starrett Tru Stone out of Minnesota.  The granite likely comes from the Northeastern U.S. someplace such as Connecticut or Mass.

The Starrett Crystal Pink is what I use. I have them from 18 X 24 X 8 inch to 4 X 8 X 1.5 FEET.  It's a nice, long wearing granite with lots of quartz in it.  If you aren't a retard, you can make this last a long, long time with care.  These particular ones aren't all that "pink" they are more of an orangish-reddish-yellowish color.  MASTER Pink, on the other hand,  IS pink and purple.  I have a AA in my lab that is just plain sexy.

View Quote

My FIL owns a monument shop, I wonder if he could mill one flat for me?
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Fitting a barrel is quite a bit of work. Scheumann has some good advice on that.

I just finished fitting mine. I have a 8 page document that shows how I do it and the two scheumann tests.

Project looks awesome by the way.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fitting a barrel is quite a bit of work. Scheumann has some good advice on that.

I just finished fitting mine. I have a 8 page document that shows how I do it and the two scheumann tests.

View Quote

It may be a mistake but i decided to tackle the barrel fitting myself.  I did ship off the slide to get lightened....
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It may be a mistake but i decided to tackle the barrel fitting myself.  I did ship off the slide to get lightened....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you sending it to for lightening and what are you having done?
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Are you going for Grip Safety Depressed blend or Grip Safety Relaxed blend?

Too...I like that beavertail....whose make is it????
View Quote

From a shooters opinion you want a depressed blend but you can have both.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Briley.  Tritop and panel cuts
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Great work so far...also looking to do a similar project in the near future....

Thanks for sharing, best of luck to a nice finished product.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Any more progress?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top