Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2015 10:44:13 AM EDT
Waiting on my CCDW and have been walking around my place with the full size 5" Series 80 IWB on my side (no holster, yet)

It feels quit comfortable but the concerns are the end of the grip protruding a little more than I like when bending, stretching, etc.

I'm assuming the GI Commander grips are the same length as the full size?

The 5" barrel doesn't seem to be the problem and I forget about it being there but would the shorter barrel of a Commander help with concealment?

(Trying to decide between a Shield 9mm and the Commander. I really want the Commander, though )
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the commander!

I have the Sig Carry Nightmare 1911 and it carries great.  If the full sized gun doesn't bother you then the commander won't either.  The grip is the same size, and it's the grip that usually pokes out when concealing.  The Nightmare has the rounded grip so that helps.

One problem often overlooked with the full sized guns in finding a holster that can protect the business end.  If you wear jeans that rivet on your pocket can mess up the finish if the end of the slide sticks out- so keep  that in mind.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the commander!

View Quote

This.

I've been carrying the same LW commander for 18 years.
The Commander is one of the best carry guns ever.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The only difference would be that the Commander will come out of the holster a tiny bit quicker.

I prefer a 5" 1911 but would carry a Commander if I had one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Commander and government grip length is identical. Slide length is different with the commander being slightly shorter.

If you are having issues with the grip protruding consider doing a bobtail mod. Or look into CCO style 1911s (officer frame, commander slide/barrel.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Commander and government grip length is identical. Slide length is different with the commander being slightly shorter.

If you are having issues with the grip protruding consider doing a bobtail mod. Or look into CCO style 1911s (officer frame, commander slide/barrel.
View Quote

This is the Sig version, the C3.

Alloy Officers' frame with a stainless Commander barrel and slide. Modern mags still hold seven rounds and one in the chamber. The shorter grip is a bit easier to conceal. In fact I wear mine under a tucked in t-shirt during the summer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Firearms/F4895A65-82C4-4D42-814E-4D08EDEA0BD2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Firearms/F4895A65-82C4-4D42-814E-4D08EDEA0BD2.jpg</a>

Alloy Officers' frame with a stainless Commander barrel and slide. Modern mags still hold seven rounds and one in the chamber. The shorter grip is a bit easier to conceal. In fact I wear mine under a tucked in t-shirt during the summer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Firearms/F4895A65-82C4-4D42-814E-4D08EDEA0BD2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Firearms/F4895A65-82C4-4D42-814E-4D08EDEA0BD2.jpg</a>

That's interesting, thanks
I certainly will keep an eye out for one of those
Looks like my license probably won't be here till Christmas anyway, so I'll have some time to look around

Could you tell it wasn't going to take much to change my mind about getting the Commander instead of a Shield?

I've always just loved the .45 ACP caliber and 1911's in general but I have reloading components for a 9mm too, so I'm trying to justify that purchase

The slimness of my Series 80 just feels right what little I've carried it

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You could get a 9mm 1911 2 extra rounds and no recoil.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.
Yes, that's very appealing and I've haven't ruled that out, Gregory

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Sig isn't the only one that makes a CCO sized 1911. Which is also the same size as a Glick 19. Just thinner with a bigger hole in the end. I went with the Sig because I found it in stock at a lgs, I really like to lay my hands on something when I'm unfamiliar with it, and because Sigs have plenty of features that come standard. Like the checkered front strap and undercut trigger guard. Plus thus dealer offers cut rate pricing. I got it for $679 vs ~ $850++ anywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Something I've noticed different between the GI length and Commander length is the muzzle printing more on the longer gun. It looks like I have a knot above my butt pocket in jeans or khakis. The slight difference in weight would be appreciated also.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Get which ever one you shoot better. Adapt your cloths to cover.

I shoot a full size better than a commander or sub compact so I carry a full size.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all for the replies. I do contemplate each quite seriously

When I get something in my head though, it makes it hard to shake especially when these prices look so good @ $723
http://grabagun.com/colt-1991a1-gi-cmdr-45acp-4-25-blue.html
Stainless is appealing as well

Who knows, they might even have a sale on them soon too
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Full size. The grip is what sticks out. Barrel length (especially only .75") really doesn't make a difference. I don't regret letting go of my Colt Commander at all.

If you need a smaller gun, you could get a Colt CCO, but full size 1911s have a wider reliability envelope. I'd get a Colt CCG. Buds has them for like $869.

I really wish that California wasn't so fucking garbage. I would've bought one of those a long time ago.

My O1991 was $907, and it doesn't have the undercut trigger guard, Novak sights, Novak safety, grip safety, enhanced hammer, match barrel, or 3-hole trigger. I overpaid a lot, but it was local, and I plead temporary insanity. Should've ordered one online for like $680.

Alternatively you could shell out $4,000 and get a Wilson Sentinel. Those guys have the subcompact 1911s figured out, and you'll pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Government model all day long. I never cared for the compact versions of the 1911.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]
If the frame is still a full size frame then the full size gun makes more sense to me.

If youre dropping barrel length, then you may as well drop frame size as well IMHO otherwise you aren't gaining anything for CCW

Full size 1911 carries very well concealed for me. I have a compact RO that I carry appendix occasionally. I seem to opt for the full size more often
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I carry a full size 1911 in a Comp-tac Minotaur with no problems. Very comfortable, and I don't really notice the weight.  Only thing I had to adapt was how I went to pick stuff up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Full size everytime.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Short 1911s are stupid.  Why would you compromise reliability?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Commander length checking in here.  They might be harder to set up and maintain, but once you figure that out they are 100% reliable.

Most of my FTF have come from 2 things: recoil spring and bad magazines.  As long as I keep the recoil spring fresh and use good mags, I'm GtG.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#20]
The butt is the hard to hide part.  I have a Compact Stainless NonSeries II Kimber and a Dan Wesson Valor 5".  I'll carry the 5" most of the time.  I'm waiting for someone to build a 5" on an officers frame.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Champion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Proper Commanders ie 4.25" barrel with bushing are just as reliable as a 5" gun.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry a commander size 1911, Colt LW commander. Sorry folks but the 3/4" does make a difference if you are short waisted. Sitting with a full size barrel pushes the gun out of my holster and into my ribs! The commander size doesn't do that. For me and many people the commander size is much more comfortable to carry. I haven't seen any difference in reliability between the commander and my full size 1911s. Mine (both full size and commander size) have all been very reliable after some minor tune up work.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I've carrived government length 1911s for years most recently a Nighthawk Falcon & now carry a CCO sized Nighthawk Costa Compact.  The Costa is only 4 Oz lighter but the shorter grip makes a very big difference for me & I only give up one round.  CCO 1911s are now the only ones I regularly carry, Nighthawks though pricey rock!

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:12:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I conceal carry either a CCO or a 4" bull "compact" gun.

Commander doesn't confer any better concealment than a 5" gun, especially if you're using a canted holster.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I like both, but I have more Commanders.

The Commander for me carries just a little better for me. In the seated position the shorter barrel makes a difference.

I normally carry in a TT Gunleather IWB holster and a TT Gunleather belt.

Which ever one you pick make sure you get a very good belt and a very good holster.

Then buy a ton of ammo and have fun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sig isn't the only one that makes a CCO sized 1911. Which is also the same size as a Glick 19. Just thinner with a bigger hole in the end. I went with the Sig because I found it in stock at a lgs, I really like to lay my hands on something when I'm unfamiliar with it, and because Sigs have plenty of features that come standard. Like the checkered front strap and undercut trigger guard. Plus thus dealer offers cut rate pricing. I got it for $679 vs ~ $850++ anywhere else.
View Quote

S&W makes a version too called the ES.  Mine has been 100% reliable with everything I've put in it.  I bought it to try as a replacement for my old Kimber Pro Carry (alloy, 4" bushing-less gun that is also boringly reliable) but I ended up using a S&W Shield more often for summer carry and the Kimber or a Hi-Power in winter .  One of the areas where I've found the shorter guns work better, especially the officer's sized frame, is when seated in a vehicle. The seat bolsters don't push the smaller gun into you as much.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#28]
If I could only have one, it would be my Commander.  I have all 3 sizes, but I have been carrying that Commander for the last 15 years.  My Railgun is my nightstand gun, and the 3 incher is for those days on the motorcycle
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Waiting on my CCDW and have been walking around my place with the full size 5" Series 80 IWB on my side (no holster, yet)

It feels quit comfortable but the concerns are the end of the grip protruding a little more than I like when bending, stretching, etc.

I'm assuming the GI Commander grips are the same length as the full size?

The 5" barrel doesn't seem to be the problem and I forget about it being there but would the shorter barrel of a Commander help with concealment?

(Trying to decide between a Shield 9mm and the Commander. I really want the Commander, though )
View Quote
Looks like S&W is making a new Shield 9 mm. I saw it in G&A at the grocery store. I hope my G&A makes it here. I lose a few issues per year in the mail. All my junk mail gets here
The new Shield has some  improvements. I like my Smith 380. I would like a hammer fired 9 in the same overall design as  their bodyguard 380.
I do plan on a small frame 1911 at some  point.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I carried a full size for years. Then tried a few CCO's. I finally settled on the Colt Commander.  Size and feel are perfect. Not bad weight wise with a good holster, belt, mag pouch combo. ( The gun belt and mag pouch spreads the load).
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I personally found drawing a full size to not be comfortable. That was out of a Wilson Summer Companion. My Kimber ProCarry would draw much nice though that gun itself was a waste of time. Never reliable, parts breaking, just stills in the safe now. LAV was probably right, you got to be part gunsmith to keep some 1911's running.

Out of a proper holster a bet my full size would be easier to unholster but I've moved to Sigs from an ammo standpoint. Can carry twice the ammo in one mag over my 1911's.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I haven't seen any difference in reliability between the commander and my full size 1911s. Mine (both full size and commander size) have all been very reliable after some minor tune up work.
View Quote

That, and I'll even add that I have found my Colt Defender 9mm to be no less reliable than my Governments or my Commanders.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've carrived government length 1911s for years most recently a Nighthawk Falcon & now carry a CCO sized Nighthawk Costa Compact.  The Costa is only 4 Oz lighter but the shorter grip makes a very big difference for me & I only give up one round.  CCO 1911s are now the only ones I regularly carry, Nighthawks though pricey rock!

View Quote

Posts like this is why I need to stop reading these threads.  Just looked up that Nighthawk on GB - damn that is beautiful!  Then also saw the Warhawk compact in 9mm...just killin' me  

And I thought I just craved the T4...
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#34]
LW Commander. You'll notice the reduced weight and shortened barrel length. Bob the frame if you like for extra conceal-ability. You still get to use full size mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top