Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2015 9:53:28 PM EDT
Has anyone first hand seen an aluminum 1911 wear out or crack? If so, how many rounds had it shot? Lots of people are telling me my lightweight colt XSE will wear out sooner (I only run standard pressure ammo), but none of these people have actually seen it happen.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Kimber CDP cracked at the base of the dust cover around 8k rounds. I should have replaced the recoil spring more than 2 times. Frame was replaced for the cost of shipping.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen quite a few 1960s Colts that had frames drilled to stop cracking.

Modern LW guns shouldn't do this.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anyone first hand seen an aluminum 1911 wear out or crack? If so, how many rounds had it shot? Lots of people are telling me my lightweight colt XSE will wear out sooner (I only run standard pressure ammo), but none of these people have actually seen it happen.
View Quote

Not yet.  Stopped round counting at 30,000.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you only run standard pressure ammo through it? how often do you replace the recoil spring?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you only run standard pressure ammo through it? how often do you replace the recoil spring?
View Quote

From 1998 to 2003? This was a carry and gun games gun.

For CCW matches I ran ordinary 230gr ball ammo.
Pin shooting I ran whatever cheap 230gr HP I could find.
For everything else I ran 225gr plated bullets that barely made major.
Probably 90% bunny fart loads and 10% standard loads.

I changed the recoil spring when the brass went past 7 or so? feet.  
The extractor is tuned to drop brass in a neat pile 5-7 feet to the right and back a couple feet.  
If the brass moved out of that zone I change the spring.
When I was shooting every week it was probably a new spring once a month or so.  
i still have dozens of Commander springs in a box.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had to file the rails on my 1938 (I think) Colt 1911 with a steel frame to fix the peening on the front edge of the rails that was stopping the slide from moving smoothly, so I wouldn't trust an AL frame.  I know a stronger spring would help, but it doesn't cycle reliably with the Wilson 18 pound spring I tried.  Maybe it will be fine with the exact correct spring and with frequent replacements.z
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]

I remember reading an article by Clint Smith where he talked about having some fairly substantial welding repairs done to one over the years.  It was a really high round count though.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a springfield armory LW compact back in the 1990's

My 230gr Speer JHP handloads carved a U shaped notch in the allow frames feed-ramp

right were the mouth of the HP fit the feed ramp.

I was not happy.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#9]
A friends Commander of late 60;s vintage has cracked at the slide stop hole. I have to guess < 5K rounds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My 230gr Speer JHP handloads carved a U shaped notch in the allow frames feed-ramp

I was not happy.

View Quote

Are you sure the damage wasn't caused by a metal mag follower?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not happy.

Nothing but Wilson mags were run the that gun
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not happy.

That sucks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Some thoughts on wearing out an aluminum frame.

1 - How is that a bad thing?  Seriously, that should be a serious point of pride to ANY shooter who can say he wore out a handgun!!!

2 - It's a 1911, if you manage to kill the frame; either buy another gun, or buy another frame and rebuild the existing one.  

I have been carrying my S&W Lightweight Commander for 12 years now and I've put just under 11,000 rounds through it in that time.  All is well, still haven't had a single malfunction.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was not happy.

View Quote

But something tells me that gun had well over 5k rounds through it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I looked into this when I put money down on a Springfield RO compact. Most people who reported cracked frames had 25k+ rounds in 45 ACP (and mostly Kimbers). The 9mm versions are likely a bit more durable. Alloy 1911's were originally designed as 9mm's so it made sense to me.

Some report feed ramp wear on those with conventional barrels. That seems to be a product of magazines and certain bullet types. Magazines without a skirt on the front of the follower should be avoided on those.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not happy.

EGW had/has a fix for that. They would machine out a pocket and insert a Steel feed ramp.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some thoughts on wearing out an aluminum frame.

1 - How is that a bad thing?  Seriously, that should be a serious point of pride to ANY shooter who can say he wore out a handgun!!!

2 - It's a 1911, if you manage to kill the frame; either buy another gun, or buy another frame and rebuild the existing one.  

I have been carrying my S&W Lightweight Commander for 12 years now and I've put just under 11,000 rounds through it in that time.  All is well, still haven't had a single malfunction.  

View Quote

This.  I don't understand why folks are worried about wearing their guns out.  Do you buy a car, four wheeler, motorcycle expecting it not to wear out?

Shoot it!  Enjoy it!  When it wears out, replace it, rinse, lather repeat.

Yes I've seen early lightweight frames crack at the slide stop.  I've worn out a few barrels, worn through the heat treat on a few sears and triggers.  Never "killed" a gun completely from use.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to wear an Aluminium frame the fast way is to never change your recoil spring and let the slide batter the frame or never lube the frame slide rails.  New Al-alloys are much stronger than they were in the past and wear much better.  It has worked for years in the Sig P22x line of pistols and people still buy LW 1911s.  If they were wearing out like crazy I think they would not be made.

Yes steel will last longer probably longer and more than most all of us will shoot, same goes for Al frame.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a Kimber Pro CDP that was my daily carry.  LOVED that gun.  Developed frame cracks both sides where the frame rails start at the front of the frame.  Sent it to Kimber and they replaced the frame.  New frame developed frame cracks, one at the same point at the rail on one side and slightly further aft on the other.  Gunsmith (a 1911 expert in these parts) said "shoot it until the dust cover comes off, but that will never happen."  I said, uhhh, no thanks and got rid of the gun.  Last aluminum 1911 I'll ever own.  Steel is heavier, and I'm not that big a guy, but in my mind it's more durable than the aluminum is.  

YMMV and if aluminum guns work for you, a peace (piece??) upon you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Aluminum has a few nasty properties hidden.
It can stress crack from repeated loading well below the yield point of the metal.
Steel does not behave this way.

Aircraft have a repeated load life.
Titanium would be way expensive.
Steel weighs more than can be lifted.

The safety 'collar' on a jet engine is still steel though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top