Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2015 2:47:20 PM EDT
Going to replace the stock beavertail safety with an aftermarket one; either a Wilson Combat or EGW one. The EGW one gives me the option for a .220 or .250 radius, which one would work best? If this has been discussed already, please delete.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Far as I have ever seen only SA INC uses a .220 radius, all others were .250.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Please post up pictures of your Delta. As of yet I have not seen a production one that came with a factory beavertail. It is likely your frame does not have either radius cut yet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please post up pictures of your Delta. As of yet I have not seen a production one that came with a factory beavertail. It is likely your frame does not have either radius cut yet.
View Quote

I'll pose one as soon as I get off work.

Right now, I want to change the controls on the Delta ELite I recently purchased from Cabelas; I think mine is an old MKIV Delta. Previous owner Bubba'd this beauty and it is my mission to make her better.

Here's the picture of her as she currently stand. Honestly? It's an eyesore, IMO. I am no stranger to rescuing neglected Colts. But this one will be my most important rescue.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I put an Ed Brown on mine which uses a .250 radius.  Next when I can spare the cash I'll get new sights, the old ones just look out of place.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If it is a new model SS, then the Wilson Drop in Gov will work, it is what I used
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Going to replace the stock beavertail safety with an aftermarket one; either a Wilson Combat or EGW one. The EGW one gives me the option for a .220 or .250 radius, which one would work best? If this has been discussed already, please delete.

If it is a new model SS, then the Wilson Drop in Gov will work, it is what I used

Like I said; mine is an old MKIV model (look at pic), So a .250 would work, right?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Like I said; mine is an old MKIV model (look at pic), So a .250 would work, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A .250 will work.  Your frame has no radius cut yet. There is just some extra material that needs to be removed to expose it.

Ed brown sells a jig that I've always used Always had to re shape the thumb saftey as well and blend the gs to the frame a little.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A .250 will work.  Your frame has no radius cut yet. There is just some extra material that needs to be removed to expose it.

Ed brown sells a jig that I've always used Always had to re shape the thumb saftey as well and blend the gs to the frame a little.
View Quote

Good; I will definitely put that on my "to do" list. I am not much of a pro when it comes to modding a 1911; I am more than handy with "drop-in" parts, though...

Now, I'm replacing the extended magwell with a serrated EGW flat MSH in S/S; same with the mag released and slide safety, which currently has a polished ambidextrous safety; I want to replace it with a single extended safety.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/beavertails.html
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#10]
As noted, your frame has no radius cut. I've got one with and one without a factory beaver tail. I'll try to get a picture of the two of them when I get home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As noted, your frame has no radius cut. I've got one with and one without a factory beaver tail. I'll try to get a picture of the two of them when I get home.
View Quote

Yeah! I actually took my pistol apart for cleaning and noticed the rear area. I inspected the frame and outside of the little scratches and scuffs on the exterior, the weapon is pretty much in excellent condition. I inspected the grip panels and they ARE indeed VZ Custom Operator grips in black with the Delta medallions (Keepers ).

I also found a skeletonized trigger in my spares box that I quickly installed to replace the polished one it came with. Also placed an order for a checkered flat MSH, extended magazine release and a single extended slide safety from EGW.

I noticed the ejection port on the weapon was lowered and contoured (by a pro, it seems), so that's a plus... Regardless, I am happy with my purchase and eager to take her to the range on Thursday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Here ya go.

The bottom one has the spur grip safety with no frame radius.

The middle is a factory beavertail. Note how they just clip the back of the frame, and leave a big gap between the frame and beaver tail. No fitting required for this style. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could be annoying to those with really big hands. Also the beaver tail sits somewhat low, so you can't grip as high as with other brands of grip safety.

I used an EB jig to cut the frame and install the EB grip safety on the top gun. It has a much smoother transition, with no big gap.

Here's another shot, looking at the under-side of the beaver tail area.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here ya go.

The bottom one has the spur grip safety with no frame radius.

The middle is a factory beavertail. Note how they just clip the back of the frame, and leave a big gap between the frame and beaver tail. No fitting required for this style. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could be annoying to those with really big hands. Also the beaver tail sits somewhat low, so you can't grip as high as with other brands of grip safety.

I used an EB jig to cut the frame and install the EB grip safety on the top gun. It has a much smoother transition, with no big gap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/IPSC/05B71FAF-972C-4F41-840A-51B6BEB7CE5F_zps7ucofpdz.jpg

Here's another shot, looking at the under-side of the beaver tail area.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/IPSC/BD637B9A-5FF9-43BE-B676-85ACBCFA24C0_zpskgp4yy2k.jpg
View Quote

Nice; thanks for the comparison pics; definitely getting a new beavertail, but that will be the last thing on my list, since it'll require work that I absolutely have no experience doing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I also niticed something in the one magazine that has an extended baseplate on it. THe baseplate was obviously screwed and expoxied in place and whoever assembled it, neglected to put the little detent plate on it, so when I removed the extended bumper, the baseplate simply slides off without that detent plate it SHOULD have...

Anyone has a spare one that they can spare?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 1st gen Delta Elite.

I bought the Smith & Alexander and it came with a 2-part jig you screwed together through the hole. It was hardened steel so you could file right onto it to get the radius perfect. I still had a smith do the conversion.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I also niticed something in the one magazine that has an extended baseplate on it. THe baseplate was obviously screwed and expoxied in place and whoever assembled it, neglected to put the little detent plate on it, so when I removed the extended bumper, the baseplate simply slides off without that detent plate it SHOULD have...

View Quote

What brand of mag?  You may be in luck.....

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is an actual Colt; the rest are Mec-Gar, and they work good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I have is a Chip McCormick power mag that had the Wilson style floor plate.  The floor plate broke and I am too lazy to order another one.  McCormicks are pretty darn similar to Colt mags in their shape...you want to try my detent plate and see if it works?

What side of town are you on?  ( I am assuming you are in the Valley )

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What I have is a Chip McCormick power mag that had the Wilson style floor plate.  The floor plate broke and I am too lazy to order another one.  McCormicks are pretty darn similar to Colt mags in their shape...you want to try my detent plate and see if it works?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm south of Tucson, actually... IM me for details.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will do.  Dang it if I wasn't just down in Benson a couple weeks ago.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally fired the Delta; put 100 rounds of Remington 180 gr. ball through her and not a single peep; straight as a laser and a pleasure to shoot. Might have to replace the recoil spring, but other than that, no other issues arose.

She's definitely a keeper.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Excellent!!!  Maybe you could just have that barrel trimmed to GI length and recrowned?  Then you just have to reprofiled that hideous gas pedal safety, get the grips profiled right and then.....
Make sure you have someone good do that beavertail.  I've been thinking about having mine done.  Even though I HATE extended beavertails.  I may change to a stock one and get a spur hammer and profile it like on my carry gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top