Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2015 11:35:28 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a 3" 9MM 1911 type pistol. I'm between the Kimber Ultra Carry 2 and the Springfield Armory EMP. I was thinking about a Colt Defender, but I can't find any locally. Anyone have any thoughts on the Ultra Carry 2 or the EMP? I have owned a Kimber and have been happy with the quality. I have never owned a Springfield Armory, but have heard good things about them. I'm not looking to start a brand debate, but I would like some opinions. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I would keep looking for a Colt.

My defender is more accurate than I am and more than it has a right to be and no issues.

If I had to pick between the two you listed then I would go with the Springer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]
A friend has a SA EMP, his has been great and he carries it a lot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
SA EMP

Easily my favorite 9mm 1911

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Another option is the Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm. This thing runs awesome and the fit and finish is superb.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I went and looked at the Defender, the EMP and the Kimber. I could not find a Dan Wesson.  I think I'm leaning toward the EMP, but I found a better deal on the Kimber. The Colt had too many sharp edges and the quality did not impress me (and I'm a die hard Colt guy). Thanks to everyone for their comments.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I worked at a gun store for the past 31/2 years, I have sold both and stopped recommending either to customers due to repeated QC problems, particularly with the Kimbers. Many problems with failures to feed. If I had to pick and was set on a 1911 platform compact 9mm I would choose the EMP, it comes with 3 mags vs 1 for the Kimber, mags for these guns can be hard to come by.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#7]
My buddy pulled his defender out of the box last week and I shot it for the first time. It wouldn't run any ammo that wasn't +P. Not sure if there is a break in process needed or what but didn't impress me one bit. I have a 5 inch Kimber in 9mm that took a little tweaking but now runs great. Lot's of people say the Springer ROs are great guns but I have never shot one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Sight unseen I would go with the SA over a Kimber.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Love my EMP. Shoots great. Most accurate gun I have. Only problem I had with mine was the ejector loosened up. I lock tighted it and pushed it back down. No problem since.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
SA EMP is far superior pistol.  Customer service for one would sell me on the SA over the Kimber and the 1 year warranty they offer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Since the EMP is a purpose built 3" 9mm gun from the ground up, I'd go that way.

Every other micro 1911 is a 45 chopped down and re-barreled and more likely to be finicky
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since the EMP is a purpose built 3" 9mm gun from the ground up, I'd go that way.

Every other micro 1911 is a 45 chopped down and re-barreled and more likely to be finicky
View Quote

+1
Excellent execution.

Doesn't share parts with standard 1911s, except grip screws and bushings = higher replacement/spare costs if needed/wanted.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an EMP 9mm, I am trying hard to love it, but I don't yet, it has been completely reliable but I just don't shoot it well, I think the grip may be a bit small and slippery for me.  I am going to add some grip to the front strap, if that isn't enough I may put on some crimson trace grips (they are a bit thicker) I really want to love and carry the EMP, but so far no go for me...it is a pretty little thing...
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for the Dan Wesson ECO.  Beautifully finished, dehorned, no sharp edges (you can shave with that Colt - I know because I had one), the DW is a great pistol.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Why not take a look at STI? I have a few of their 9mm's and they've been 100%.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top