Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2015 11:13:07 PM EDT
Has anyone tried this combo? Is the rail solid, does it work and does it mess with the reliability of the gun? Any info and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Has anyone tried this combo? Is the rail solid, does it work and does it mess with the reliability of the gun? Any info and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

I have a SF MR07 sitting in a drawer, that I used to have installed on my Colt Combat Elite. I was left less than impressed. I purchased a railed 1911 (Kimber Desert Warrior) to fulfill the intent for that rail. Another upside: I can use commercially available holsters, none of which are molded for a 1911 wearing the MR07 rail and a light.

If I were to do it to the Colt again, I'd look at Novak's: http://www.novaksights.com/products/lightrails.html
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The Surefire system is secure enough. A issue as mentioned above is lack of holsters. Safariland makes a SLS for that combo. I used it for a while as a duty gun until I picked up a integrated rail.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Having the option and for shits, I had an extra Surfire on the TRP for a few days but seemed far too bulky for me and was uncomfortable with the combo. If you can get over the extra weight, I doubt there would be any issues.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a SF MR07 sitting in a drawer, that I used to have installed on my Colt Combat Elite. I was left less than impressed. I purchased a railed 1911 (Kimber Desert Warrior) to fulfill the intent for that rail. Another upside: I can use commercially available holsters, none of which are molded for a 1911 wearing the MR07 rail and a light.

If I were to do it to the Colt again, I'd look at Novak's: http://www.novaksights.com/products/lightrails.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you still want a holster for the MR07 and light, check out 10-8's website for the holster compability list

The industry mainstay, the Safariland 6004/6280 series, remains at the forefront of your choices for your light mounted 1911. Their 560 and 561 paddle and belt mounted Custom Fit holsters feature moveable rollers and adjustable tension, and any number of the 1911s without a mounted light should be accommodated by these rigs.

We can't keep up with their list, so we'd suggest that you visit Safariland's "Will Fit Search" website page for up to date model numbers. For reference, here are some of the available Safariland 6004 model numbers for right handed, black holsters.

6004-538-xxx 1911 w/ Dawson Rail or SureFire MR07 with SureFire Military Light
6004-5340-xxx Kimber Warrior/TLE, Springfield Operator, Wilson CQB, Nighthawk GRP with SureFire X200 (should also work with Dawson Rail and X200 Combo)
6004-5621-xxx Same guns above with ITI M3 or M6. Also works with the MR07 Mount and X200.
6004-533-xxx 1911 with SureFire Classic 310R
6004-536-xxx 1911 with SureFire Classic 610R
6004-5322-xxx 1911 with Caspian Bolt-on Rail with ITI M6x
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What were your issues with it, other than not being as ideal as an integral rail of course?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My experience with it was that because the slide catch is the attachment that it caused failures to lock back.
View Quote

I had that too. And you are tied to using SF's proprietary slidestop.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just put a Novak rail on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've been contemplating doing that at some point. Will it fit standard railed 1911 holsters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just put a Novak rail on it.

I've been contemplating doing that at some point. Will it fit standard railed 1911 holsters?

It's actually slightly lower profile so it should.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm working with an aluminum frame and I also was considering the SF mr-07 rail. I'd worry about the screws on the Novaks stripping out or ripping out of the aluminum. Also the Novaks is basically permanent or at least you'll always have holes. I could have bought a frame with rails but wasn't sure if I would always want a rail, so I bought a GI style frame with the intent of adding a rail from either SF or Recover tactical. I originally was thinking Recover grips with rails, but then I found out the SF rail is only about $100....... and it's a Surefire. I thought they were like $250 when they first came out?
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a TRP, but it is a Springfield. It is a little heavy though. It normally has a TLR1 on it and I use a Bravo concealment OWB holster molded for that combo. Still searching for a holster for the X400v. (yes the laser aims up, but there is enough adjustment to zero at 25 yd and its close enough for government work past that.)

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My experience with it was that because the slide catch is the attachment that it caused failures to lock back.

That sucks.  I'm surprised that no one ever made replacement slide stops for the Surefire lights, but I'm sure that ship has sailed by now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The slide stop I have is two piece, the rod and the slide stop that rotates on it (plus a circ-clip that holds it together) As strong as a one piece? maybe not but its always been 100% on mine at least.  Was it ever one piece? I could see how a one piece design could cause problems, due to the tension/friction put on the slide stop from the rail.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I would likely just do some test firing with I and then put it on a nightstand gun, so it's not like it would need to hold up to thousands of rounds.

Surefire makes good stuff, so I'm sure it would be more than up to that task.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top