Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 4:13:38 PM EDT
1911 magazines

I just bought 2 of these magazines. I have not shot them yet but I loaded them and cycled them about 10 times each whit no issues.
I think for the price they are not to bad for range mags. I do know they are better then the onces I bought off ebay got about the same price.

Anyone use these? if so how well did they hold up?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
My Colt XSE came with flush fit 8 round mags.  I don't know if they are different than those, or if they just added a baseplate to those.  But mine work just fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Good price, I use factory springfield and Chip McCormick
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
They have a plastic follower and it looks like a base plate on it. They does not stick that far out from the mag well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
They'll be fine as range mags.   A buddy of mine bought a few a year ago or so,   and has not had any issues other than the occasional FTF.   The mag drop drills may have something to do with that.   The feed lips
are a little more prone to nicks and bending.   I think they may use lower quality steel than what you'll find in premium priced mag,   but for less than $10,   I think you'll be happy.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Y u cycle live ammo?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It is function test. As long as you mind the trigger and take proper safety precautions it isn't a big deal with live round.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is function test. As long as you mind the trigger and take proper safety precautions it isn't a big deal with live round.
View Quote

Live ammunition is longer than empty brass, it doesn't necessarily cycle as reliably and you also have to worry about bullet setback.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
When you shoot a pistol you do not shoot empty cases. The bullets need to be as they are when you shoot them to do a fiction test. It is highly unlikely to get bullet set back in a round that is proprietary made.  Truthful nothing really touches the bullet that could  push hard enough to get it pushed in the case further when they are made correct.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You risk bullet set-back as the round is cycled, which will, at a minimum, vary point of impact. Worst case, you can blow up the gun.

Not saying I have never done it myself, but I've learned as I got older.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When you shoot a pistol you do not shoot empty cases. The bullets need to be as they are when you shoot them to do a fiction test. It is highly unlikely to get bullet set back in a round that is proprietary made.  Truthful nothing really touches the bullet that could  push hard enough to get it pushed in the case further when they are made correct.
View Quote

In a 45 1911 you are wrong.  the bullet bangs into the feed ramp.  I've seen it set back even premium defense rounds in nickel cases.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have seen bullet setback with several kinds of carry ammo when it's been rechambered, across ammo brands and gun types.

It's a bad and dangerous practice for a variety of reasons.

And you're not "function testing" much by forcing a much heavier and longer live cartridge out of the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In a 45 1911 you are wrong.  the bullet bangs into the feed ramp.  I've seen it set back even premium defense rounds in nickel cases.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confirmed.
My custom 1911 will do it to Federal HST rounds if you dare it to.
Federal HST is hardly some cheap/poorly made round
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Confirmed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confirmed.

Remington Golden Saber was the worst offender for me.

After 2-3 chamberings 1-2 out of 10 would develop setback.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I know I posted in this thread from my phone.... oh well.

I use Metal form magazines. They are apparently what came with my 1911A1 Range Officer. They ran flawlessly, so I bought some more, they run just as well. As does the pistol :D So that's all I feed her. I think you can get them in SS, I ordered the blued version. I think they came in 7, 8 and 10 round capacity's.

As for the set back issue. I now crimp all my reloads, but I have fired some without crimping, which is apparently a big "no no" as set back is much more likely. Personally I think it's more of an issue when you chamber the same round over and over.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is some extra info on 1911 mags to consider:

If you go to 1911 Forum or M1911 Pistols forum there are numerous threads on this. M1911 has quite a following for the Checkmate magazines with the hybrid feedlips.

Many do not like the Wilson because the follower is all polymer and
will with time wear and not lock the slide back.  Tripp Cobra Mags
solved that problem with their hybrid follower; metal & plastic.

Tripp also makes the Flexfollower that is "no-tilt" and all metal.
Checkmate's follower is like this only coated in black Teflon and with
the dimple. (see above)

Some on those forums feel the springs prematurely weaken with the
Wilson mags. Tripp has some of the strongest mag springs around. Chrome
silicon and ever so slightly larger wire diameter. Wolff offers what is
referred to by those buying and using the Checkmate magazines a an 11#
spring. These can be specified when order Checkmate mags directly from
the factory.

Checkmate makes OEM mags for Colt.

Check out this website as well 1911 Magazine Analysis and  1911 Magazine Analysis, Part 2
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you go to 1911 Forum or M1911 Pistols forum there are numerous threads on this. M1911 has quite a following for the Checkmate magazines with the hybrid feedlips.

<a href="http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=2355" target="_blank">http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=2355</a>

Many do not like the Wilson because the follower is all polymer and will with time wear and not lock the slide back.  Tripp Cobra Mags solved that problem with their hybrid follower; metal & plastic.

<a href="http://www.trippresearch.com/PDGImages/folh45.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.trippresearch.com/PDGImages/folh45.jpg</a>

Tripp also makes the Flexfollower that is "no-tilt" and all metal. Checkmate's follower is like this only coated in black Teflon and with the dimple. (see above)

<a href="http://www.trippresearch.com/PDGImages/folf45.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.trippresearch.com/PDGImages/folf45.jpg</a>

Some on those forums feel the springs prematurely weaken with the Wilson mags. Tripp has some of the strongest mag springs around. Chrome silicon and ever so slightly larger wire diameter. Wolff offers what is referred to by those buying and using the Checkmate magazines a an 11# spring. These can be specified when order Checkmate mags directly from the factory.

Check out this website as well 1911 Magazine Analysis and  1911 Magazine Analysis, Part 2
View Quote

Wilson followers are dirt cheap. You can get them for nothing, takes the 45 ACP ones FOREVER to wear out, and replacing them is quick and easy. It should not affect it whether you choose them or not.

If you bought them with a Wilson, they might even rebuild them for you for free.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:59:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wilson followers are dirt cheap. You can get them for nothing, takes the 45 ACP ones FOREVER to wear out, and replacing them is quick and easy. It should not affect it whether you choose them or not.

If you bought them with a Wilson, they might even rebuild them for you for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=2355" target="_blank">http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=2355</a>

Many do not like the Wilson because the follower is all polymer and will with time wear and not lock the slide back.  Tripp Cobra Mags solved that problem with their hybrid follower; metal & plastic.

<a href="http://www.trippresearch.com/PDGImages/folh45.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.trippresearch.com/PDGImages/folh45.jpg</a>

Tripp also makes the Flexfollower that is "no-tilt" and all metal. Checkmate's follower is like this only coated in black Teflon and with the dimple. (see above)

<a href="http://www.trippresearch.com/PDGImages/folf45.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.trippresearch.com/PDGImages/folf45.jpg</a>

Some on those forums feel the springs prematurely weaken with the Wilson mags. Tripp has some of the strongest mag springs around. Chrome silicon and ever so slightly larger wire diameter. Wolff offers what is referred to by those buying and using the Checkmate magazines a an 11# spring. These can be specified when order Checkmate mags directly from the factory.

^ doesn't sound insane, Wilson's customer service is considered the ceiling by most. I'm sure it has equals, can't say I know of people who would claim they know of better

I have and love Tripps, I like their followers best
Only hiccup I can report: 10 round mag gave me a "top round down" failure one time, supposedly happens with some mags and some 1911s
On inspection I figured out what happened, I noticed that the mag feed lips had "belled" out.
(From 10-8performance)

I realized I'd left them loaded for awhile.
I'm thinking "a while" might have been close to a year

Wilson ETMs with the flatwire springs impressed me big time. I loaded the mags to 7, then after a week popped in the 8th, and let them sit
They are very, very stiff. Part of me wonders - if left loaded (and say not inserted into a 1911, whether it be condition 3 or not), will it make the feedlips bell the way the spring pressure on the tripp 10s did?
I have the feeling the vickers mags are going to have those springs too.
Overall I have to say I like the concept. Having a loaded duty mag that isn't likely to get spring fatigue

Note: If you put a tripp follower in an ETM mag, it brings the capacity down to 7, but that slidestop engagement is absolutely ridiculous
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top