BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/8/2015 9:33:26 PM EDT
Boom
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you do need a TRP.  That is going to be my first 1911 as soon as I can save up the scratch.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
No, find something made in the US.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you want a TRP witch is normal they are nice
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Like what?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, you do need a TRP.  That is going to be my first 1911 as soon as I can save up the scratch.
View Quote

Same!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]

I got both....
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
My TRP Operator is the Tits and is dead nuts accurate.  

My next will be the "regular" TRP

Its worth the price.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

And where would you suggest the TRP is made?
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

TRPs are built in Genesseo, IL. Yes, the forgings come from Brazil, but they're still built here. Same with any Springfield 1911 with the NM serial number prefix.

And yes, OP, TRPs are worth it, IMHO. I currently have one on layaway at one of the local shops. They let me fondle everything I wanted to, to make up my mind; several Sig 1911s, a Colt Delta Elite 10mm (may go for this one next), other Springfields, an Les Baer (edit, I got mixed up) (very nice, but couldn't afford it), and a Ruger.

I almost went with a MC Operator, but it's front strap checkering didn't grip my hands worth a damn, and the TRP's slide to frame fit was much better. So I went with the TRP.

I can't wait to get it home!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#12]
YES.

Here's mine after a long day of fun. My only regret is that I couldn't afford two.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Short answer....YES
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

TRPs are built in Genesseo, IL. Yes, the forgings come from Brazil, but they're still built here. Same with any Springfield 1911 with the NM serial number prefix.

And yes, OP, TRPs are worth it, IMHO. I currently have one on layaway at one of the local shops. They let me fondle everything I wanted to, to make up my mind; several Sig 1911s, a Colt Delta Elite 10mm (may go for this one next), other Springfields, an Ed Brown (very nice, but couldn't afford it), and a Ruger.

I almost went with a MC Operator, but it's front strap checkering didn't grip my hands worth a damn, and the TRP's slide to frame fit was much better. So I went with the TRP.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yes, OP, TRPs are worth it, IMHO. I currently have one on layaway at one of the local shops. They let me fondle everything I wanted to, to make up my mind; several Sig 1911s, a Colt Delta Elite 10mm (may go for this one next), other Springfields, an Ed Brown (very nice, but couldn't afford it), and a Ruger.

From what I understand, they no longer have any dealings with imbel so nothing comes from Brazil.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

From what I understand, they no longer have any dealings with imbel so nothing comes from Brazil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah all frames are made in the USA now for there 1911's.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SA Inc no longer uses imbel for forgings.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#17]
What 1911's do you already have?

Another comparable option would be a Wiley Clapp Government, which is nice because it doesn't have the "TACTICAL" stuff all over it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Another comparable option would be a Wiley Clapp Government, which is nice because it doesn't have the "TACTICAL" stuff all over it.
http://snakeriverarms.com/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/1Clapp1-1024x685.jpg
View Quote

This will be my next 1911. Been wanting one for awhile. She's a beaut dude.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://snakeriverarms.com/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/1Clapp1-1024x685.jpg

Not mine, though I do have a plane jane Series 70 that I will one day send to SACS to be turned into my "dream gun."

It is just the WC model has all of the modern features like LF ejection port, NM barrel (and bushing I believe), Novak sights, FS checkering, but it is just a lot cleaner looking than the TRP IMO.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes get one!

Mine is extremely accurate and is the best shooting pistol I own. Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
My TRP is my favorite 1911 that I own but it is not my most accurate ..... My Kimber Grand Raptor gets that title.  I still shoot my TRP more.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Save up your pennies and buy something like my Benchmark Precision.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Everyone needs a TRP.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

SA is a forged frame and slide

Colt is cast frame and slide

I can live with the tactical engraving to get a forged frame and slide.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did that BS come from? Colt's are forged frames and slides.

OP the TRP is a good pistol, if you like its features, get one
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt uses forged frames.

I don't know where you got your information from, but it is wrong.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

None right now
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
NEED .... has NOTHING to do with it!!! WANT rules ...
View Quote

This lol
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:39:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

None right now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None right now

Well you cant wrong either way.  The TRP is a fantastic pistol. I really like Springfield 1911's. Nice series 70 and all forged.

I just mentioned the WC Colt because I think it is very nice as well, as it has nearly identical features (and yes, despite what the poster said earlier, it is all forged as well.)  But whatever you decide, don't forget to post pics.  Either way you will be very happy.  And congrats on deciding to take the plunge on your first 1911.  Their history and clout goes without saying, and they are very good target pistols, while maybe not optimal, are perfectly suitable for self defense.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

NEED .... has NOTHING to do with it!!! WANT rules ...
View Quote

After all, this is the 1911 forum.

I never needed a 1911, but I want 10.

ETA: And yes, you want a TRP. I shoot one of a relatives quite often side by side with my RO. I like the way my RO feels better (VZ grips, grip tape on the front strap, FO front sight, lighter trigger) but damn does that TRP shoot nice. His has a full rail and stays on target extremely well.

Damnit, now I want a TRP.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they're aren't.

The good news is you can get the forged frame and slide and not get the 'tactical' crap with a Colt.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt uses forged frames, and slides.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it series 80 though?

TRP is a great pistol OP
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Is it series 80 though?

TRP is a great pistol OP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it series 80 though?

TRP is a great pistol OP

Nope.  It is essentially a "modernized" series 70.  If you look closely at the rollmark, you will see that it is the Series 70 rollmark.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't understand the hate for the lettering on the trp. It's not like it's filled with gold. I guess I have bigger things to worry about.

FWIW, I love both of my trp pistols. They flat out shoot everything I've put through them. They're the best bang for your buck you can get. I did have one malfunction with my non railed trp, but I honestly believe it was my fault. I was taking a class and was nervously doing a reload a different way than I normally do and it failed to go into battery. I fixed it and kept shooting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't understand the hate for the lettering on the trp. It's not like it's filled with gold. I guess I have bigger things to worry about.

FWIW, I love both of my trp pistols. They flat out shoot everything I've put through them. They're the best bang for your buck you can get. I did have one malfunction with my non railed trp, but I honestly believe it was my fault. I was taking a class and was nervously doing a reload a different way than I normally do and it failed to go into battery. I fixed it and kept shooting.
View Quote

I don't think people hate them.  Personally I just think it is kind of corny.  

I would rather have that than a "WARNING FIRES WITHOUT MAG" or whatever shit some mfr's put on their guns though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would rather have that than a "WARNING FIRES WITHOUT MAG" or whatever shit some mfr's put on their guns though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. I think they'd be nice without the lettering, but they're such great guns I can look past it. Colion noir did a good video on his.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_R94LstfZg
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nope.  It is essentially a "modernized" series 70.  If you look closely at the rollmark, you will see that it is the Series 70 rollmark.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it series 80 though?

TRP is a great pistol OP

Wow not sure how I missed that as I was even looking for the roll mark before I asked.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I will throw in that I have a Combat Elite and would buy another in a heartbeat.  It is a great gun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wow not sure how I missed that as I was even looking for the roll mark before I asked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it series 80 though?

TRP is a great pistol OP

Even the LW Commander version is a 70's series, even though it bears the standard rollmark.  That is the one I drool over.

I just wish the put the pony behind the rear side serrations like they did on the XSE series.  I thought that was a nice look, and kind of a throwback to the old colt pistols.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#43]
yes

DSC_6145 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I decided that I needed a 1911 with a rail, so I picked up a TRP Operator.  It is a really sweet shooter, I have some really nice 1911s and this one is up there with them.  I don't think you can do better for the money.

It is difficult to justify the Customs/semi customs with the TRP, I still do, but it's difficult.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
yes

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/twiaDL" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5337/18064476986_e5798e0548_b.jpg</a>DSC_6145 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
View Quote

Your TRP, it is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Everyone needs at LEAST 1. I only need 3. Have 1, 2nd is on order right now. Then the sear h starts for the 3rd.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how recently did this start happening/?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Past 2 years or so SA moved away from Imbel.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#49]
If I could find someone to make the trade I'd trade my Kimber PC II + SAI GI for a TRP.  Straight up trade.

I'd be getting the better deal by about a grand, though, so I don't think I'll find any takers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#50]

What sights are those?  My TRP is over ten years old, tritium is about gone and want to put new sights on w/ a rear ledge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top