Posted: 6/28/2015 9:44:04 PM EDT
http://store.springfield-armory.com/shop/pc/Recover-Grips-c129.htm

Has anyone tried these grips?

They work
junk
or just another toy
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
A person should probably stay away from such things. Either have a rail section professionally mounted on your frame, or buy a 1911 with a rail already on it.

Just my .02 cents .

And, I have no experience with "Recover grips" & I'm going to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They also limit you to their holster, no other 1911 holster will work with those grips. I think the implementation of the Beretta 92 version was a lot better.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking about them only for a small weapon mounted light. Right now it is on my glock 19.  But the 1911 has lot better knock down power. This wouldnt be holstered just in lock box by bed  and range trips
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#4]
They look horrific.  But if they work - then they're beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#5]

I would just save up for an MR07.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
i bought one and like it fine for my nightstand 1911. My only complaint was the grip being to slick, I filed down the existing groves and stippled it and it is a night and day difference. I bought a rail gun and don't use it anymore but it was affective.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...knock down power...
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was thinking about them only for a small weapon mounted light. Right now it is on my glock 19.  But the 1911 has lot better knock down power. This wouldnt be holstered just in lock box by bed  and range trips
View Quote

Save your cash and mount the light to the 19.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Got them.  Did not like.  My opinion?  Eject.

Reviewed it here.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
How do they fit and feel most important how they work?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How do they fit and feel most important how they work?
View Quote

Felt "'big" in the hand.  Some liked that.  Feels like blow-mold without the texturing from the previous poster.  I'm not into stippling, so it wouldn't have helped me.  I took them off after putting 150 (more or less) rounds through it.  As I stated, its like kissing you sister.  You can do it; doesn't feel right and is in my opinion oh so wrong..
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Surefire MR07, SOOOO much better, allows you to use any grips you want, much stronger, doesn't look like a turd, Safariland makes a few holsters for the combo.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I actually have two sets...

This is the original set, which they did not have setup for their holster use. Sent it to LightFighter Innovations for the grip work (wounded veteran, and a very good guy; recommend him for any stippling work). I liked how they came out.

Now, before I get the "that is garbage" or "X person doesn't endorse it, so it is crap," I don't usually run a light on my 1911... however, I like the option to. I have a Glock 30S, two S&W M&Ps, and a Beretta PX4 to mount lights on, so I have weapon lights in my possession. For $50, way more economic than trading it in for a railed 1911 (don't have the need/desire for multiple 1911s, so sorry) or having a rail mounted (which then, holster options are cut down). I usually run those Magpul grips on my 1911, and have a few different holsters that work with a standard Government profile gun. I got that Fobus holster for the light setup, which you rock the pistol in/out of. Is it a Crossbreed holster? Not at all, but it is an option. In regards to the design, does anyone have any issues with the Tavor's design? The guy that designed these had a hand in the Tavor.

They came out with their newer version, which has a notch by the dust cover to allow their retention holster to be used.

They originally had a trade-in program, so you buy the holster... send in the old grips, and they send the newer ones with the holster. I did contact the company, as I didn't want to have to do all the stippling again, and tried to see if the original grips could be modified (they can not). The representative did see me posting on another forum when they were discussing the Beretta version, and said that he would just send the new ones and let me keep the old ones. In regards to me recommending companies, I'll definitely give people a thumbs up when their customer service tries to do right with their customers. Cannot give any faults with them in that category.

Now, the holster isn't a bad design. Think of a Serpa (I use off-duty, and have for years), which engages on the dust cover opposed to the trigger. It is a polymer holster, not leather or whatever other custom holster you can find... it is what it is. The flexibility of the holster is good in my eyes. It uses that IMI roto-design, which SigTac also uses (just rebranded). Want a paddle? Want a belt loop? Want a MOLLE attachment? Want a drop-leg setup? You can swap backing and have it. Again, for the limited needs I have, it works just fine. I have a Blackhawk MOLLE attachment on my plate carrier, which I swap in any of my Serpa holsters into it. Got the adapter for that, as it allows more options. I'm not a big drop-leg holster guy... but I did pick it up to have one. Again, nice to try out and see if I like it... plus, I'm not spending $140+ on a single holster (especially one I might use a handful of times a year).
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Surefire MR07, SOOOO much better, allows you to use any grips you want, much stronger, doesn't look like a turd, Safariland makes a few holsters for the combo.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/paraframe/20150322_161733_zps4lafboov.jpg?1436001258307&1436001260244&1436001280758&1436001281561
View Quote
If you must, than I think this is a much better solution than Recover, but its a free market so whatever gets you there!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top