Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2015 9:29:34 PM EDT
I am slowly gathering the pieces for my PSA build...I have read a lot of positive reviews on the WC Flat wire spring.  Anyone have one?  Is the 17lbs really the sweet spot for recoil?  Thanks.   Any info appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Wilson flat wire spring & guide rod in my Nighthawk Falcon & my Nighthawk Costa Compact has a Bob Marvel flat wire spring.  
Got about 1500 rounds through the Falcon with the flat wire spring so far.  The 17# spring works good with my light 200 gr swc & fine with Federal HST 230 grainers.  If you want to try different spring weights ISMI Glock springs are what Wilson uses.  Check the Wilson forums over on 1911 forums.com
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I am converting as my existing springs wear out.  So far I have two done they work feel same no issues to report but they last longer I cannot comment on if it is true as I have no reached the mileage for that yet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
ISMI makes the springs.

You can get all manner of different weights and lengths if you don't go through Wilson.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like they're kinda iffy on a 5" gun.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  People who shoot a lot have had mixed reports as to longevity, they don't seem to last as long as a standard round Wilson (Wolff) spring.

Personally I wouldn't do it to a 5" gun.  Absolutely nothing to gain, plenty to lose....

I've ran hardball up to near 10K rounds through a 5" on a Wolff 16lb spring with no issues.  Changed the spring because I wanted to, not because it needed it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently replaced my recoil spring with Wilson's flat wire 17# spring. The recoil was smooth. I was attempting to sort out a failure to battery issue that has cropped up recently, but the spring did not have any affect on the problem. I then installed their 18# regular music wire spring, polished some things, and the FTB problem was solved. The 18# music wire spring causes a noticeably sharper recoil than the flat 17#. For the price you don't have anything to lose by giving the flat wire spring a try.

Just FYI you'll need a smaller diameter guide rod for the flat-wire spring. 0.25" IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Re-installed my Wilson 17# flat wire spring today after having several bolt-over-base malfunctions with a hotter handload I was trying. The lighter spring solved the problem. Then it started inertial feeding but that isn't a recoil spring problem.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Re-installed my Wilson 17# flat wire spring today after having several bolt-over-base malfunctions with a hotter handload I was trying. The lighter spring solved the problem. Then it started inertial feeding but that isn't a recoil spring problem.
View Quote

/Sigh.....

Are you using Wilson magazines?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

/Sigh.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/Sigh.....

Yeah and I just put new springs/followers in them too. Very disappointing, although it sort of seems like the Wilson followers are so slick they would make a pistol more prone to inertia feeding.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah and I just put new springs/followers in them too. Very disappointing, although it sort of seems like the Wilson followers are so slick they would make a pistol more prone to inertia feeding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/Sigh.....

Ok.  Here's what ya do when you want to kill the issue with fire.

Wilson thinks they're cute, but they royally fuck up springs.

Recoil:...........16lb standard rate Wolff
Firing Pin:.....Colt of Wolff standard or extra power
Main:..............23lb standard Wolff
Sear:..............Stock Colt
Plunger:.........Stock Colt with plungers

Magazines:  
    -Put Tripp Super 7 kits in the Wilson bodies if you have to keep 'em.  
-If you want the ultimate tough/reliable mag, get a Chip McCormick Powermag, and install a Tripp Super 7 kit.
     -Also, a Check-Mate/Springfield 7 round blued wadcutter lip mag with a Wolff 11lb spring is great.  IMO, it's the most reliable 1911 mag you can get, but a Powermag is a bit tougher.

*Make sure you are using a steel firing pin.  *Ditch any full length guide rod and use a COLT short guide and plug. * A 5/64" radius firing pin stop will also increase reliability, but you should be fine with a standard 7/32".  I personally preferred the 7/32", and would try a 5/64" only if I was still having issues.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
OP I have had no problems.  I run the Wilson flat wire in my Sig scorpion full size and have the Bob Marvel flat wire in a full size Nighthawk Recon.

Supposed to extend spring change intervals to like 10 rounds.  I've found them to be smoother in felt recoil and also quieter than round wire. (Dry firing etc.)

I'd fo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#11]
A standard Wolff spring will easily go to 10K in a 5" gun.  

Flatwire is a gimmick.  Nothing more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does change the recoil impluse, I've done a side by side test with a standard spring & a flat wire.  No way would I run standard spring past
3000 rounds.   They are to cheap to risk any damage to a firearm plus no gunsmith or manufacture would recomend that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone....I am now no more leaning towards it when I made this thread....still up in the air.  I might just go with a regular to start with and them try it if I can't get my 1911 to run right.

#firstworldbuildproblems.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Magazines:  
-If you want the ultimate tough/reliable mag, get a Chip McCormick Powermag, and install a Tripp Super 7 kit.
     -Also, a Check-Mate/Springfield 7 round blued wadcutter lip mag with a Wolff 11lb spring is great.  IMO, it's the most reliable 1911 mag you can get, but a Powermag is a bit tougher.

*Make sure you are using a steel firing pin.  *Ditch any full length guide rod and use a COLT short guide and plug. * A 5/64" radius firing pin stop will also increase reliability, but you should be fine with a standard 7/32".  I personally preferred the 7/32", and would try a 5/64" only if I was still having issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/Sigh.....

Magazines:  

Samuse knows of what he speaks, except that I say all 1911s should be built with a 5/64" radius FPS.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It does change the recoil impluse, I've done a side by side test with a standard spring & a flat wire.  No way would I run standard spring past
3000 rounds.   They are to cheap to risk any damage to a firearm plus no gunsmith or manufacture would recomend that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A standard Wolff spring is a very high quality spring and it will do it's thing for way more than 3000 rounds.  I used to change mine every 3K and I was tossing perfectly good springs just for the hell of it.  I know competition shooters who change 'em once a season, and 15K a year is nothing for them.  

BESIDES all that, there is nothing on a 1911 that can be harmed by running a wore-out recoil spring.  If it's stripping the next round from the mag, and locking into battery, it's doing everything it needs to do.  If you're having inertia feeds (often mistaken for FTRB), you need to start investigating.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Samuse knows of what he speaks, except that I say all 1911s should be built with a 5/64" radius FPS.
View Quote

I agree.  A 5/64" radius FPS does nothing but enhance reliability.  A nice thing about it is you can drop a rating on the recoil spring and still keep the slide velocity in check.

I only used 7/32" radius FPS in mine because I liked the way it recoiled.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#17]
forget the 3k number measure your springs.
http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=21
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Love mine in my CQB elite.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Love mine in my CQB elite.
View Quote

I agree! My CQB love it too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top