Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2015 3:38:51 AM EDT
i need some framework done with a 1911 frame.  i would like to have the dustcover extended on an officers frame, and i would like to have some coarse checkering done
i was thinking 10-15 lpi not 30.

any idea where to have the work done?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Comes to welding on a 1911 check out Innovative Custom Guns.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i need some framework done with a 1911 frame.  i would like to have the dustcover extended on an officers frame, and i would like to have some coarse checkering done

View Quote

Ever done a lot of shooting barehanded with 10-15lpi? 20 is pretty aggressive and the lowest I would go, 25 is perfect as it gives grip but does not chew up hands
Dust cover extended?  Not sure what you mean here as the Officer dust cover comes almost to the end of the slide maybe less than an inch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ever done a lot of shooting barehanded with 10-15lpi? 20 is pretty aggressive and the lowest I would go, 25 is perfect as it gives grip but does not chew up hands
Dust cover extended?  Not sure what you mean here as the Officer dust cover comes almost to the end of the slide maybe less than an inch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i will need to extend the dustcover on the officer frame because i will be putting a government slide on it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
you need to do more than extend the dust cover.iirc

better to chop a govt frame down to officers grip than to get a officers frame to work on govt slide.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you need to do more than extend the dust cover.iirc

better to chop a govt frame down to officers grip than to get a officers frame to work on govt slide.
View Quote

i do have a government frame here that could be chopped if you could suggest someone to do the work
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#6]
relocation of the grip bushing will be required and maybe  some extension to the mainspring housing slot as well as relocation of the mainspring housing pin.

Frames for STI or Caspian would where I would look as the would keep from welding 2 plates into the grip area.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
relocation of the grip bushing will be required and maybe  some extension to the mainspring housing slot as well as relocation of the mainspring housing pin.

Frames for STI or Caspian would where I would look as the would keep from welding 2 plates into the grip area.
View Quote

i have a frame  that could be cut down and wont do business with caspian again.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I can tell, nighthawk and ed brown get at the least their railed frames from caspian.

That said, off the top of my head here:
- Adding material to a frame like that is probably going to cost more money than getting a new frame completely, just in the labor/intellectual capital (smithing) required to do it? (Unless you "know a guy")
- I believe that the government frame has longer rails on it than an officer's frame, welding material on that is now getting into the silly range.
- Have you considered a CCO gun (commander slide, officer frame) for a "longer barrel shorter frame" gun?
- Your gun here man but... 10/15 LPI is cheesegrater territory. 25LPI is nice, 20LIP is plenty grippy, but not terrible if you have tough-ish hands

For a government slide on short frame, I'd probably rather cut down a government frame to do that, than jump through hoops to attempt to turn an officers frame into a government one
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
You would be cheaper and miles ahead of the game to just get a new frame from Wilson or caspian. 10-15 will suck balls and you will chew through every bit of skin on your hands. 20 is really aggressive, 30 is standard, 25 is just right. That said, I have a Wilson and it came with 30. Never had it slip but wish is was 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top