Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2015 12:17:20 AM EDT
Looking at this RIA 10mm.

Reason I ask is because on this web site it warns "(this ammo) Cannot be used in Colt Delta Elite or any other firearms with rampless barrel due to complete lack of case support."

Anybody know what kind of barrel the RIA uses?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Dunno, but why would you think you could swap barrels to a completely different gun?

Makes no sense to me.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dunno, but why would you think you could swap barrels to a completely different gun?

Makes no sense to me.  
View Quote

He's not talking about swapping barrels.  He's talking about using a specific ammo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He's not talking about swapping barrels.  He's talking about using a specific ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes no sense to me.  

This.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh.    

Ammo.  

Right.  

Sorry.  

Looks like a ramped Bull barrel:  

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=393114

Not even drunk.  

Carry on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#5]
While I cannot verify this (as I do not own one of the pistols in question) most of RIA's promotional material and a number of reviews did mention a fully ramped barrel.

Standard barrel on the left, ramped barrel on the right.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Pic looks like bushing-less bull barrel, so PROBABLY ramped.  Gonna want to call and find out exactly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While I cannot verify this (as I do not own one of the pistols in question) most of RIA's promotional material and a number of reviews did mention a fully ramped barrel.

https://jggunsmith.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/jg-tok_std-non-ramped_and_wn-ramped1.jpg
View Quote

So that barrel on the right, isn't that called a Clark type barrel? I was just asking this question because I am thinking about getting a 10mm, but only if I can shoot really HOT loads in it. A RIA like that is for sale locally, I'll go look again. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Clark is a type of ramped 1911 barrel.
Wilson/Nowlin
Clark/Para
Lissner (a modified Clark/Para)

http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/Documentation/Webfile_Ramped%20and%20Unramped%20barrels.pdf
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So that barrel on the right, isn't that called a Clark type barrel? I was just asking this question because I am thinking about getting a 10mm, but only if I can shoot really HOT loads in it. A RIA like that is for sale locally, I'll go look again. Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://jggunsmith.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/jg-tok_std-non-ramped_and_wn-ramped1.jpg

No, the one on the right is a Wilson/Nowlin ramp.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The RIA 10mm uses a ramped bull barrel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
What idiot ammo maker puts a completely stupid statement like THAT on their box???  

Don't you think that "a complete lack of case support..." is a little disingenuous?? Is the ammo maker implying the case is fired in the air while clinging to the extractor so the bullet has to jump into the barrel??
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, I don't know the answer to your RIA question.
I do have a picture that illustrates what a fully supported chamber looks like, so you can examine the RIA.

The top barrel is from a 10mm DE.  As you can see, the brass has to support some of the chamber pressure.

The bottom barrel is an aftermarket 10mm Glock barrel.  The barrel is better at supporting the case head for hot loads.

Head support is doubly important if you are going to reload and reuse your cases.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top