Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 7:12:43 PM EDT
Im sure this has been discussed but i cant find it so if someone just wants to point me in the right direction i would understand.

Ive never owned a 1911 and shot very very of them. I found a deal on the R1 and will use the $75 rebate currently available so i only have the tough decision of choosing between the 4.25" commander or the 5" regular version. I may carry it occasionally/eventually but thats not my reason for purchasing. Im happy carrying my subcompact steel CZ rami 9mm for the time. I hope to get my hands on both of them soon to compare feel but would appreciate the opinions of those with experience. If im only going to own one 1911 should it be a full sized?

The only big difference ive found that would affect me would be the increased sight radius of the 5" but again there is much i dont know.  I'll reload my own ammo and i enjoy doing my own gun smithing and modifications if that is a factor. Is one easier to upgrade, customize, repair? Are most of the parts the same? What's different? Any drawback/advantage to different main spring strengths?

Thank you much for any info

Ben
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was up to me, I would keep carrying the Rami, and get the government model.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
almost got the carry commander

a few things I loved about it and a few I didn't

good gun if you can get it for $800 or so Like I almost did (shop around on gunbroker)

that .75" less that a commander has makes a huge difference to me when I sit down and try to remove my wallet when carrying IWB
I'm not a big dude at all so it makes a difference when sitting (work,car, etc)
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
$850 is what I'm looking at for NIB in either option. Is there another 1911 I should consider for $850 or less? I shoot a cz sp01 shadow in uspsa production and don't see myself shooting moving from that class for many years.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the series 80 firing pin block a deal breaker? Is converting to series 70 a good/bad idea?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#5]
What about an R1 enhanced for $625?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
For 850 I would buy a range officer or a loaded from Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I vote govt as the commander gives you no benefit while carrying since the grips are the same size.  Slide barrel length means very little when concealing but grip size does make a difference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$850 is what I'm looking at for NIB in either option. Is there another 1911 I should consider for $850 or less? I shoot a cz sp01 shadow in uspsa production and don't see myself shooting moving from that class for many years.
View Quote

you can't find much else forged,  front strap checkering, and night sights in that price range (well maybe a sig 1911 minus the forged )

I searched and searched. I ended up getting a used springfield super tuned champion that was close to what I wanted. Save up a bit more and get a dan wesson?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I personally have 4 1911's, 2 Kimbers, a Smith & Wesson, and a Remington R1. Out of the 4 the 2 Kimbers are both Pro's meaning they have 4 inch barrels. Of the 4 the Remington is definitely my least favorite. As for 1911's under $850, if you look around you could get a Colt 1991 A1 for under $800, or a Para-USA for under $600. Both guns are solid guns in my opinion for their price; however, others may disagree. Another solid option would be a Rock Island Armory, they are a phenomenal value.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Magnum Research 1911 should be about that price range...

Quoted:

I personally have 4 1911's, 2 Kimbers, a Smith & Wesson, and a Remington R1. Out of the 4 the 2 Kimbers are both Pro's meaning they have 4 inch barrels. Of the 4 the Remington is definitely my least favorite. As for 1911's under $850, if you look around you could get a Colt 1991 A1 for under $800, or a Para-USA for under $600. Both guns are solid guns in my opinion for their price; however, others may disagree. Another solid option would be a Rock Island Armory, they are a phenomenal value.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top