Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 9:20:28 PM EDT
I've got a Springfield Armory loaded 1911 that came with the Trijicon sights on it (I assume they all did).  Its always shot  low but not so much that it was a problem.  Lately I've started shooting it at farther distances so the issue is becoming more apparent as the hits are even lower now.  Also, the groups are getting  larger too.   My groups with other .45s at the same distances are much better.

So, to correct the issue would you guys replace the barrel with a Wilson or something in hopes that it would fix both the low hits and poor groups?  The other plan would be to accept the fact that the gun isnt going to be a tack driver and just replace the rear sight with one thats adjustable so I can correct for the low hits and move on.

Id rather not do both because that will put me at nearly a grand in this pistol and Im just not feeling that.  I'd rather trade it away on something else before I sink that kind of dough into it.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Nowlin is another barrel maker I would add to the list.  I had a Colt Commander that went to shitz accuracy wise, got a Nowlin barrel, MGW bushing and saw 100% improvement.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nowlin is another barrel maker I would add to the list.  I had a Colt Commander that went to shitz accuracy wise, got a Nowlin barrel, MGW bushing and saw 100% improvement.  
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up.  This particular gun has nearly 2k rounds through it and its getting worse as the round count increases.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
i would call sprinfield and talk to them. they may ask you to send it in for them to check it out. many times it will be on thier dime.   don;t throw money at it till you know whats wrong.  it could be a wrong link etc
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree send it to Springfield. It sound like a wear issue.
Another thought here is send it to the Springfield Custom shop. They can fix the problem and do any upgrades you may want.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Try a better fitted bushing first.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Try a better fitted bushing first.

View Quote
You mean one that has to be fitted by a gunsmith or an upgraded drop in piece?

Also, this is an excellent point and one that I hadnt thought of.  I guess if there is too much slop between the barrel and the bushing, the barrel isnt really pointing where im aiming the pistol.

Edit to add,  if I mic the od of my barrel and the id of the bushing what kind of dimension is acceptable?

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have yet to see a SA Loaded that wouldn't benefit from a fitted match barrel, some much more than others.   In your case, I'd sell it and buy something else.  Chances are you'll still have to replace the front sight with a shorter one anyway to bring your groups up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I second what Ken said.  I would contact someone like Dawson Precision.  They are cool because they will exchange the sight until the height is right.  I did it with a glock 41.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I second what Ken said.  I would contact someone like Dawson Precision.  They are cool because they will exchange the sight until the height is right.  I did it with a glock 41.
View Quote
Im not asking to be argumentative, I honestly dont know.  Whats the advantage to changing the front sight instead of the rear.  I assumed the option to make adjustments would be a preference.  Im really  curious to hear what the answer is.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Some dont like adjustable sights as the feel they are weaker so one would purchase a lower front sight or a tall gunsmith sight and file to zero.

I'd try a EGW custom fit bushing the one where you send them measurments and they machine it for you. I will not move your grooups, but it will shrink them down some. How much depends on bad the bushing was fit before the change.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#11]
When trouble shooting always go from cheapest most easily replaced part  and go up from there. 1911 barrels simply
Do not wear out very fast ( many competitive shooters get well over 50k through a barrel prior to replacement ) I would start with a bushing , possibly a link and pin then the taller rear sight and replacing the barrel would be my last step personally.
What sort of groups are you getting ? Even with a poorly fit 1911 you should be getting sub 5" groups at 25 yards as a starting point. Shooting 25 yards will accentuate any issues and tell
You things about your shooting and the guns performance that do not show up as readily when shooting up close
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Some dont like adjustable sights as the feel they are weaker so one would purchase a lower front sight or a tall gunsmith sight and file to zero.

I'd try a EGW custom fit bushing the one where you send them measurments and they machine it for you. I will not move your grooups, but it will shrink them down some. How much depends on bad the bushing was fit before the change.
View Quote
That makes sense, thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When trouble shooting always go from cheapest most easily replaced part  and go up from there. 1911 barrels simply

Do not wear out very fast ( many competitive shooters get well over 50k through a barrel prior to replacement ) I would start with a bushing , possibly a link and pin then the taller rear sight and replacing the barrel would be my last step personally.

What sort of groups are you getting ? Even with a poorly fit 1911 you should be getting sub 5" groups at 25 yards as a starting point. Shooting 25 yards will accentuate any issues and tell

You things about your shooting and the guns performance that do not show up as readily when shooting up close
View Quote
I started  shooting it at 25 yards recently and thats when I realized that there was a significant difference between it and my other pistols.  Honestly, I don't shoot pistols very
often since its such a pain to recover the brass at the range I use so my groups arent that good regardless.   I
know thats a pitiful excuse but its the truth.  I shoot rifles every weekend though.

Youve given goods advice about replacing the cheapest stuff first.  thanks

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
My point being if you are shooting low but with say an 8-10 inch group it may be you breaking your wrist or jerking the trigger. Get a known skilled shooter shoot the gun and make sure the gun is really at fault
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Before my bushing swap I was easily getting 15 inch plus 8 round groups at 15 yards, but I could also easily see and move my barrel in the bushing when in battery (using pinky finger). I had EGW undersize/ovesize the bushing by about .001 and my groups went in the 3" range at 15 with only changing the bushing. Now the first 50 shots the gun would fail to go into battery, but the barrel and bushing had to wear in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Before my bushing swap I was easily getting 15 inch plus 8 round groups at 15 yards, but I could also easily see and move my barrel in the bushing when in battery (using pinky finger). I had EGW undersize/ovesize the bushing by about .001 and my groups went in the 3" range at 15 with only changing the bushing. Now the first 50 shots the gun would fail to go into battery, but the barrel and bushing had to wear in.
View Quote
This is an excellent reply. Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My point being if you are shooting low but with say an 8-10 inch group it may be you breaking your wrist or jerking the trigger. Get a known skilled shooter shoot the gun and make sure the gun is really at fault
View Quote
Im going to check out the bushing fitment tonight after work and see how it looks.  If it warrants a repair I'll start there and if no improvements are made I'll have to find someone who is a better shot than me to check it out.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree that the bushing could use replacing. A lower front sight would help too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have yet to see a SA Loaded that wouldn't benefit from a fitted match barrel, some much more than others.   In your case, I'd sell it and buy something else.  Chances are you'll still have to replace the front sight with a shorter one anyway to bring your groups up.
View Quote

I'm surprised no one has said "blasphemy!"  

My experience, when I give my opinion, has been that there is NOTHING bad to say about Springfield.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My experience, when I give my opinion, has been that there is NOTHING bad to say about Springfield.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, for what its worth, my M1As and XDMs  have all  been excellent guns.   This one has been a disappointment however.    Unfortunately its my first 1911 so I wasnt sure if if Ive gotten my first bad Springfield or the 1911 that I read about all the time in GD.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've worked on enough of them to know better.  The higher end Springfields are not so inconsistent, but the Loadeds can be all over the map.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top