Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2015 9:42:30 PM EDT
I did a little horse trading for this pistol and got it at a good price, quickly settling on a number mostly just on the strength of the Cylinder & Slide name.  I'm not able to find out a whole lot about it other than the usual search engines' results so would appreciate the thoughts of other owners of these guns.  I called up Cylinder & Slide and asked them how many they have made, and all I got as a reply was "lots."  No telling what number they consider "lots" if they are a custom shop.

This particular sample has seen some holster time and I can't say I much care for the giant "ADVENTURER" down the side of the slide, but otherwise is in excellent shape.  That giant lettering would have looked a hell of a lot nicer in the old flat font that Colt used to use on the 1908 pistol, for example.  The slides have been polished or finished somehow so the lettering contrasts with the silver background and I was toying with the idea of having it refinished in all black and tone that screaming lettering down some.

The only review I could find came from "Combat Handguns," which usually means I believe about a third of what the writer says: Adventurer Review. Cylinder & Slide still make the Adventurer, and although the specifications have changed somewhat compared to this pistol, I believe this one has most if not all of the same features: Adventurer Specifications

It certainly does smack of quality, with all the expected sharp edges polished down to that "worn bar of soap" feel in the hand, and the safety goes on with a "snick" sound that bespeaks of hand-fitting and quality parts.  The frame is Caspian, the barrel from Barsto.  What looks like stippling is a little strip of 3-M ladder tread tape added for additional purchase on the front of what is a two-finger sized grip.  The grip safety is crazy small but works perfectly.  The pistol came with three magazines which hold five rounds and are nicely altered Metalform magazines.  One malfunctioned when I got the pistol, but replacement of the (full-size 1911) magazine spring cured that.  Andrew Jackson is in the photo just for a size comparison.

My personal experience is that this pistol is oddly accurate (I mean more accurate than I would have ever imagined)  and is surprisingly not uncomfortable to shoot.

I'm not really a 1911 guy but I think this is a keeper.  Anybody else feel the same way about theirs?

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
High quality, rare piece you have there.

A lot of really custom bits that aren't readily available, tho.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
C&S doesn't list prices, that I saw anyways, how much does the current model retail for?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
C&S doesn't list prices, that I saw anyways, how much does the current model retail for?
View Quote

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=ADVTSX79

Around/over 3 grand depending on the specs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:44:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful pistol you have there.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to give this a bump to try to flush out another owner of one of these pistols.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
i have been getting pistols work on by them for years the first pistol they did was a para  p-13  then the worked on a full size springfield armory 45 and they hard chromed a p7m8 and since i am in cali bill cut down a springfield commander to the adventure i love that pistol and shoot it a lot. no matter what is done at c-s it will be done right
i even had a k40 done for ccw and a buddy who  is leo tried it out and had it fall on his off duty card lol. so i had them build me another .
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm going to give this a bump to try to flush out another owner of one of these pistols.

View Quote

I have one, but it's so rare I don't really shoot it much.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May I ask, do you know when it was produced and does it look like the one above?  Are the original owner?  Ever any problems with it?

I appreciate your thoughts.  I can't seem to find out a heck of a lot about them other than from the C&S site.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

May I ask, do you know when it was produced and does it look like the one above?  Are the original owner?  Ever any problems with it?

I appreciate your thoughts.  I can't seem to find out a heck of a lot about them other than from the C&S site.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picked a blue carbon one up at a Colorado gun show 4 years ago for 2k. I had a leathersmith in Cañon city make a custom holster for it.

Mine has rosewood grips.

I ran about 1200 rounds thru it. FMJ ball and Federal JHP mostly.

No problems Except one of the cutdown magazines stopped locking the slide back. I bought two more from cylinder and slide that work fine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
if you have any questions call them they are very helpful and will answer all your questions and the gun was built to be shot so you can shoot the snot out of it
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
The Adventurer is roughly a custom single-stack equivalent to the Para-Ordnance P10-45 or Warthog.  The proprietary grip safety and mainspring housing are undoubtedly the S&A aftermarket replacements for the Para-Ord.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Trade you a couple of brand new glocks of your choice for it
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Trade you a couple big old pile of brand new glocks of your choice for it
View Quote

There.  Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This thread has my interest, because I've come across web discussions of the Adventurer, the S&W Chief Special 45 (SC45) and the TJ's Custom Stealth as 1911s that are smaller than the New Agent and Defender sized 1911s.  I'd like to get hold of 1911 in 4+1 or 5+1 if possible for a less obtrusive CC in certain situations.

From what I've read, the TJ's is largely out of the picture, unless one drops in my lap.  The S&W has been out of production for almost a decade and never was produced in large numbers, so finding would be rare.  That leaves only the Adventurer still in production.  So unless an SC45 pops up for sale I'll have to bite the bullet and start the process of buying an Adventurer.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Since the initial post I have shot the Adventurer a fair amount.  The pistol is astonishingly accurate, far more so than a recently acquired S&W Pro Series subcompact.  I put ten rounds with the Cylinder and Slide pistol into a space the size of two playing cards at 25 ft., with most shots going into a single, large round hole.  While the S&W will get the carry time because of the weight, that Adventurer is some pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top