Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2015 10:21:43 AM EDT
my buddy bought a sig 1911 scorpion after seeing my sig 1911 emperor scorpion and me talking up how great of a gun it is. The models are almost identical with a few minor differences but should be the same internally. he bought a few Wilson mags  to go with it as well. We went shooting yesterday and he was having a constant fail to feed on the first round about 75% of the time. both using the slide lock as well as sling shot method to release the slide.

I thought maybe his gun didn't like Wilson mags but it continued to do it with my CMC power mags as well as the factory sig mags which are checkmate I believe.
Ammo used was various 230 gr from perfecta, Winchester, federal, and blaser. After the initial fail to feed the gun would run fine and lock the slide to the rear. To fix the malfunction he could lightly slap the bottom of the mag and the round would feed in the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Normally I'd say try some different mags..... What type of fail to feed?  Nosediving?  Round entereing chamber too high and hitting the barrel hood?

I'm not too familiar with external extractor 1911's, but I'd look at the extractor:  check for proper tension, also check and see if the extractor hook needs to be polished and/or reshaped to allow the round to properly slip under the hook during feeding.  If this is the case, a gunsmith can modify the extractor, Sig can fix it (maybe) under warranty, and lastly EGW at least used to produce an 'improved' extractor.

Second possiblility:  mag catch out of spec.
Third possibility:  round may be contacting the slide stop 'nub'.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Sig 1911 and it behaved in a similar manner to what you described during the break-in period of two or three hundred rounds. From what I have read this is not unheard of with the 1911 platform. IIRC most of my problems during the break-in period were failures to battery, not failures to feed.

After several thousands of rounds I began having a failure to battery again, which was solved with replacing the spring and followers of all my mags, replacing the worn flat-wire spring with a 18# music wire spring and guide rod, and polishing the chamber and feed ramp.

In researching 1911 troubleshooting I found out that there must be a gap between the barrel and the feed ramp of so many hundredths of an inch. This prevents the bullet from bumping the barrel during feeding, and the cartridge jamming oddly into the chamber, preventing battery. I found that my Sig does not have the proper gap. This would be worthwhile to check.

The original 1911 design called for a 7 round magazine. We now squish 8 rounds into our mags. I wonder if the pistol is just out of spec enough to be suffering from this modern change in magazine capacity.

An extractor that is tuned too tight may cause battery problems.  The bottom part of the extractor may benefit from some polishing.

James Yeager made a video about how much 1911s suck. One profound thing he said was that the 1911 was designed in an age where an individual artisan would custom fit all of the pistol's parts together. The design, he claims, does not do well with factory mass production. This makes sense to me. Even though we buy a factory produced 1911, it may still need some fitting, or a trip or two back to the factory for replacement parts.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
rare, but check the breech face for correct width or a burr. may need some light stoning and a polish.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say it might be extractor tension but I am not familiar with how the Sig external extractor works in relation to the internal one.

When it FTF can you hit the back of the slide and it goes on its way?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]

It only fails to go into battery when dropping the slide on the first round, but the other rounds load and feed OK?
How many rounds were in the mag?
Is he using a shock buffer?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top