User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The rear tangs on the PSA frames are cut for a .250" radius beaver tail. That is neither government nor commander style frame tangs. Of those, the "drop-in" safeties for the commander style tangs will give you the smallest gap.. but both will give you a rather big gap. I would just buy an OEM style .250 radius beaver tail, like the Remington one that has been shown to fit fairly well on these frames.
I made a crappy MS Paint image to demonstrate.
http://i.imgur.com/Los2zOb.jpg
Center is Commander pistols. Top with standard grip safety, bottom with Wilson 'Drop-in' Commander style beaver tail. Gap should be even bigger than this if you use a Commander style 'drop-in', as the .250" radius is a smaller cut.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
About 3/4th way done with my sub 250 serial frame, just waiting on a beavertail safety and a plunger tube tool and I will have it done, will start on the slide next week. I have had to do a pretty good amount of fitting on everything but its coming together very nice. The slide to frame fit isn't as good as I was hoping, but its still tighter and smoother than either of my springfields.

Now to decide how I want to finish it..... Cerakote is at the top of my list if everything turns out and its a good shooter. So many color choices

Make sure you get a beavertail grip safety that is a commander.  The rear tang of the PSA frame is cut for that.  A GI style beavertail will leave about an 1/8" gap.

The rear tangs on the PSA frames are cut for a .250" radius beaver tail. That is neither government nor commander style frame tangs. Of those, the "drop-in" safeties for the commander style tangs will give you the smallest gap.. but both will give you a rather big gap. I would just buy an OEM style .250 radius beaver tail, like the Remington one that has been shown to fit fairly well on these frames.
I made a crappy MS Paint image to demonstrate.
http://i.imgur.com/Los2zOb.jpg
Center is Commander pistols. Top with standard grip safety, bottom with Wilson 'Drop-in' Commander style beaver tail. Gap should be even bigger than this if you use a Commander style 'drop-in', as the .250" radius is a smaller cut.

The Remington is specifically cut for a commander style hammer, perhaps that is what I should have said.  Top pic is a standard "GI" Wilson beavertail, bottom is the Remington.  Both are PSA frames.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got a Wilson "commander" beavertail from brownelles and I plan on fully blending it top and bottom. If that ends up not working I will get a oversize or remmington and mill it down where I need.
View Quote

If it is the Wilson "Drop-in" Commander beaver tail like THIS ONE you will have a gap between the grip safety and frame tangs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Remington is specifically cut for a commander style hammer, perhaps that is what I should have said.  Top pic is a standard "GI" Wilson beavertail, bottom is the Remington.  Both are PSA frames.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/panzersergeant/Palmetto%20State%20Armory/036%20600x800_zpseffkmfxl.jpg
https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/1908131_10101973663544597_8954063310657023973_n.jpg?oh=774fcae8a3ee0a86ab66dd03cb098b4e&oe=55C4068C
View Quote

I have never heard of or seen a beaver tail that didn't require a "commander style"/rowel/ring style or bobbed hammer. There may be one (it would need a lot of clearance cut in), but even that Wilson "drop-in" for Gov't frame tangs, in fact requires a "commander style" hammer.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beavertail-Grip-Safety-Drop-In-Government-Blue/productinfo/429BG/
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have never heard of or seen a beaver tail that didn't require a "commander style"/rowel/ring style or bobbed hammer. There may be one (it would need a lot of clearance cut in), but even that Wilson "drop-in" for Gov't frame tangs, in fact requires a "commander style" hammer.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beavertail-Grip-Safety-Drop-In-Government-Blue/productinfo/429BG/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/panzersergeant/Palmetto%20State%20Armory/036%20600x800_zpseffkmfxl.jpg
https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/1908131_10101973663544597_8954063310657023973_n.jpg?oh=774fcae8a3ee0a86ab66dd03cb098b4e&oe=55C4068C

Just going off the description at CDNN...there is obviously a difference, not really sure anyone knows how to correctly explain it.  The radius of the PSA frames was cut for EGW .250 grip safeties (per their description), but EGW "commander" ones are cut .220.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just going off the description at CDNN...there is obviously a difference, not really sure anyone knows how to correctly explain it.  The radius of the PSA frames was cut for EGW .250 grip safeties (per their description), but EGW "commander" ones are cut .220.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought I broke it down alright?
Most beaver tails (that are NOT drop-in type) are cut for a .250" frame tang radius. This is the cut the PSA frame has. EGW does not have a specific "commander" beaver tail. Not sure why you are hung up on the commander thing. EGW Beaver tail grip safeties ALL of them will require a "commander style" hammer or similar.
.220" radius is for Springfield frames (and others). If you take a Springer frame like that of the Mil-Spec that has GI frame tangs, you would have to weld the tangs up in order to correctly blend a .250"R cut beaver tail.. so S&A came out with .220" cut, looks like EGW has followed suit. New factory Springers already equipped with a BT I think now use Smith & Alexanders .220" cut. Before they used the Wilson/Clark cut.
That Remington beaver tail is for .250" radius frame.
PSA's description means that they specifically designed the rear contour of their 1911 to match the EGW. An EGW will HAVE to be fit as they only make "under size" beaver tails now (.245" radius).
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Got one of the ss slides but mine doesn't have the PSA logo which is a plus since I'm going with a no logo no serial number gun. Ordering everything online so that I can have a 100% internet build with everything shipped to my door ????
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got one of the ss slides but mine doesn't have the PSA logo which is a plus since I'm going with a no logo no serial number gun. Ordering everything online so that I can have a 100% internet build with everything shipped to my door ????
View Quote

The PSA Frames are 100%, not 80% - should be shipped to FFL.  They are serialized.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The PSA Frames are 100%, not 80% - should be shipped to FFL.  They are serialized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA slide, stealth arms tactical frame
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]

100 rounds down the pipe

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I had sort of convinced myself that I didn't need a project, like building a 1911, and that if I was going to spend money to have a stainless 1911, I'd just go buy the one I want.  Desert Eagle 1911 for instance.  But danged if your pics aren't making me rethink it yet again.  I know it's mainly the sexy grips, but the polished bits kinda do it for me too.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I don't own any guns that have been cerakoted, does the coating wear off over time on parts of the slide/frame that make contact?
View Quote

It will eventually wear, but cerakote is a very thin ceramic based coating that is very durable. On my GP 100 that is cerakoted stealth black you can see where the cylinder lock rides on the cylinder but after several hundred rounds and cylinder revolutions it still hasn't started showing any base material. In general cerakote is only supposed to be applied a couple thousandths thick at the most.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
What sights did you go with, and how is the fit?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The front is EGW, but at .200 is too high.  I am going to order a .170 to bring point of impact up.  The rear is standard Novak.  Fit on which part?  Generally speaking this frame and slide are cut generous, not much hand fitting of any parts.  I assume this is to make it easier to assemble.  They were intended to be built and sold as guns.  Selling off the frames and slides, I believe, was an after thought when they found out how much it was going to cost to have them assembled.  They retail price point would not have been competitive.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I emailed PSA about the name of the company making them but they said it was "proprietary" information.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
This looks like an interesting project. How much would I be looking at spending to finish one of these myself?  Someone said $600 for a WC kit, is that a reasonable estimate if I piece it together from various sources?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I emailed PSA about the name of the company making them but they said it was "proprietary" information.  
View Quote

I mentioned this deal to a gunsmith friend of mine.  He immediately ordered 3 stainless frames and will probably be able to tell the supplier after examining one of the frames..
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I mentioned this deal to a gunsmith friend of mine.  He immediately ordered 3 stainless frames and will probably be able to tell the supplier after examining one of the frames..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

GKO found this link and posted it as a possible source,  its found in the thread over in the industry section under PSA

http://1911builders.com/collections/slides/products/1911-45-acp-5-forged-4140-steel-slide-with-novak-sight-cuts

sure looks like my slide.

anyway I built mine and have less than 600 in it not counting the sights,  it wasnt that difficult,  now its not an ed brown masterpiece but its mine and it functions,  I just have to shoot it and see how that goes.

If your even half wan interested in building one I would go for it,  at 300 for the slide and frame its a steal,  lots of places are selling just the frame for that.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Done with the exception of sights....PSA frame/slide, Fusion trigger, hammer, and seer.  Mostly Remington on everything else, a few standard GI parts (spring and guide rod), VZ grips.  Safety is really crisp after I polished it, and had to polish the ejector as well.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Ugh.  Trying to figure out if I have the patience to try this.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

PSA released them on 5/6, I picked mine up on 5/9, and finished except sights on July 12.....so basically 2 months.  I could have done it faster, and I could have done it slower.  I had to put it down last saturday night though because I was getting frustrated.  Picked it up Sunday and finished.  You will need patience.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

PSA released them on 5/6, I picked mine up on 5/9, and finished except sights on July 12.....so basically 2 months.  I could have done it faster, and I could have done it slower.  I had to put it down last saturday night though because I was getting frustrated.  Picked it up Sunday and finished.  You will need patience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also trying to figure out what the tool outlay will be, and if the costs are worth it for one build.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also trying to figure out what the tool outlay will be, and if the costs are worth it for one build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only "specific" tools I had to acquire were the plunger tube staking tool (which I have loaned out a few times) and a barrel bushing tool.  Other than that, I had the punches, files, etc. I that I needed.  I also bought a 1911 bench block, but didn't use it as much as I thought.  I will serve me down the line though when I strip it, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine is all done....

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Did you have an issue with grip screw bushings?

I bought a set of Wilson Combat bushings and they don't seem to want to fit. Are the holes under size?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I bought a set of Wilson Combat bushings and they don't seem to want to fit. Are the holes under size?
View Quote

I have built two, a stainless and a blue. The stainless was perfect, the blue one had the grip screw bushings issue that you speak of, and some of the holes had to be reamed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have built two, a stainless and a blue. The stainless was perfect, the blue one had the grip screw bushings issue that you speak of, and some of the holes had to be reamed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was going to suggest trying to re-tap, if that failed ream and re-tap.  Had this happen before with other manufacturers frames.  It happens and isn't really that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I lined them up and went real slow....after the first one seated, I knew I was good.  The coating just made them a little too thick, but going in a little then back out, back in, etc. Worked.  I made sure and blew out the hole as the bushings went in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am working on my carbon steel pistol, I ordered a stainless set also for a rainy day. Thanks for the info, I was only able to get one bushing to even start on the threads. I will get a tap and chase the threads.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#30]
My bushings screwed right in.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I ordered two of the stainless frames today. This will be my first 1911 build. What are the preferred vendors for threaded barrels
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I ordered two of the stainless frames today. This will be my first 1911 build. What are the preferred vendors for threaded barrels
View Quote

I've heard good things about Storm Lake. Brownells carries them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a storm lake, got it on sale at midway.  Fit was amazing for the barrel.  The bushing required hand fitting.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top