Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2015 2:54:29 AM EDT
I have a Springfield Armory Loaded Target and a Dan Wesson Patriot Target that I'd like to add flared mag wells to. Both are SS and I'd like for the mag wells to some what match.

After adding JP mag wells to my G34 and G35, I want to do the same with my 1911 pistols.

What should I stay away from? What are my options?

Pics with details would be nice...

ETA- mainly wanting to know if the ones NOT part of the main spring housing are adequate and worth it durability wise.

UPDATED QUESTION:

What is the 2-hole round thing to the left of the plunger spring retaining pin on the SA main spring housing? My Dan Wesson does not have this... install looks straight forward BUT there's something on the main string housing on the SA that is not on the DW. I don't have access to my SA box/papers so I can't look there to find info.

SA on the LEFT and DW on the RIGHT.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Ed Brown, S&A, Wilson all make a great magwell.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ed Brown, S&A, Wilson all make a great magwell.
View Quote

My favorite but ED and Wilson are good, too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I think someone makes a magwell that attaches under the grip?  Otherwise you are looking at having to weld one on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think someone makes a magwell that attaches under the grip?  Otherwise you are looking at having to weld one on.
View Quote

Wut?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#5]
DO NOT get one that goes under the grip. you have $1000+ guns and if you can afford those you can afford a $75 magwell. Fusion makes one I like that you can remove the magwell and keep the housing.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=3&q=magwell
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
DO NOT get one that goes under the grip. you have $1000+ guns and if you can afford those you can afford a $75 magwell. Fusion makes one I like that you can remove the magwell and keep the housing.
<a href="http://s197.photobucket.com/user/casexx6383/media/1911s/IMG_20140208_153019_249.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa257/casexx6383/1911s/IMG_20140208_153019_249.jpg</a>
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=3&q=magwell
View Quote

Any 2-piece magwell can be run by loosening the hex/torx screw and removing the well, but retaining the MSH.

Only one piece jobs (and they're labeled as such) can't be disassembled.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Nighthawk one piece MSH pricy but worthy
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong. Most magwells are either two piece or one piece and replace the MSH. They pin in using the MSH pin. Blending is advisable but not required on most applications. SACS, Alchemy can do the blend and can weld a magwell on if you so desire.

Try S&A, Ed Brown or Wilson among others for parts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Wilson with the hooks for the grip bushings and an Ed Brown two piece.

The cheap Wilson has held up really well and is fitted perfectly since I had to grind on the hooks a little to make it fit. I also had to remove some material on the inside of the grips to make room for the hooks.

The Ed Brown (that cost twice as much) works fine but the mainspring housing wants to rust any time I use it and don't oil it within 12 hours.

I think I would buy the S&A if I bought another. I have used them on to friends guns and they seemed as good or better than the Ed Brown.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had SA and Nighthawk. I like them both.
My next one will have a Nighthawk magwell
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Agreed on the Nighthawk.The NH one-piece is about $150, but worth every penny.
Very good quality and fit, plus they're machined from bar stock. It's magwell art.
I just put one on my TRP Operator and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#12]
THANKS for the information guys... I agree, the pistols are not cheap nor are they beaters so going the cheap route is out...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a Wilson with the hooks for the grip bushings and an Ed Brown two piece.

The cheap Wilson has held up really well and is fitted perfectly since I had to grind on the hooks a little to make it fit. I also had to remove some material on the inside of the grips to make room for the hooks.

The Ed Brown (that cost twice as much) works fine but the mainspring housing wants to rust any time I use it and don't oil it within 12 hours.

I think I would buy the S&A if I bought another. I have used them on to friends guns and they seemed as good or better than the Ed Brown.
View Quote

I have and like the S&A the most.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]
S&As are the obvious standard, but can sometimes need more fitting depending on the gun.
They're also investment cast. It's not a part that's under stress, so cast is just fine. From a fitting perspective, cast is easier to remove metal from.
It's really a matter of design and how much you want to spend on it being made from bar stock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
S&As are the obvious standard, but can sometimes need more fitting depending on the gun.
They're also investment cast. It's not a part that's under stress, so cast is just fine. From a fitting perspective, cast is easier to remove metal from.
It's really a matter of design and how much you want to spend on it being made from bar stock.
View Quote

I'd like a true drop in... my fitting skills are limited. What's the deal with the thing on the SA housing...?  See pic in first post above.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless I am setting up a 1911 on a budget, I don't think I can go with any magwell other than a Nighthawk again.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a Springfield Armory Loaded Target and a Dan Wesson Patriot Target that I'd like to add flared mag wells to. Both are SS and I'd like for the mag wells to some what match.

After adding JP mag wells to my G34 and G35, I want to do the same with my 1911 pistols.

ETA- mainly wanting to know if the ones NOT part of the main spring housing are adequate and worth it durability wise.

UPDATED QUESTION:

What is the 2-hole round thing to the left of the plunger spring retaining pin on the SA main spring housing? My Dan Wesson does not have this... install looks straight forward BUT there's something on the main string housing on the SA that is not on the DW. I don't have access to my SA box/papers so I can't look there to find info.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Bowhntr6pt/media/100_1232_zpswscyviiz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/Bowhntr6pt/100_1232_zpswscyviiz.jpg</a>
View Quote

The two hole thing is a mainspring lock, something seen only on SA 1911s.

It lets you "lock" the gun and keep it from firing using a two-prong key that comes with it.

Many SA owners replace it, you can leave it alone and it won't do a thing.

Notice that the MSH isn't pinned, so if you plan on removing it, first pin it using the tool that comes with your bag of mysterious goodies that comes with ever SA, but may not necessarily work with every SA.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It lets you "lock" the gun and keep it from firing using a two-prong key that comes with it.

Notice that the MSH isn't pinned, so if you plan on removing it, first pin it using the tool that comes with your bag of mysterious goodies that comes with ever SA, but may not necessarily work with every SA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UPDATED QUESTION:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Bowhntr6pt/media/100_1232_zpswscyviiz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/Bowhntr6pt/100_1232_zpswscyviiz.jpg</a>

Thanks... I was wondering if it was something along those lines... just don't remember any tools coming in the box, will have to dig the box out later and see.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks... I was wondering if it was something along those lines... just don't remember any tools coming in the box, will have to dig the box out later and see.

View Quote

Should be stuffed behind the foam of the case, SA will send you another one for free if it wasn't.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, Bob!

The Nighthawk is a very, very nice 1-piece unit.  The Smith & Alexander is a great unit and has been around for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey, Bob!

The Nighthawk is a very, very nice 1-piece unit.  The Smith & Alexander is a great unit and has been around for a long time.
View Quote

Looks like the SA will serve my needs/wants then... while perhaps nice, I think the NH is out of my price range.

Thanks again guys... looks like I have a direction to run in...

ETA- next improvements, some VZ grips and grip screws/bushings...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure it was mentioned prior, but if you go the one piece magwell route you can remove the lock by replacing the mainspring housing internals.

Again, the plan for my new MC Operator once it arrives...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm sure it was mentioned prior, but if you go the one piece magwell route you can remove the lock by replacing the mainspring housing internals.

Again, the plan for my new MC Operator once it arrives...
View Quote

Looks like the plan... go with the 1-pc SA offering.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nighthawk one piece MSH pricy but worthy
View Quote

I have one of these on STI Guardian and It awesome way nicer than the Wilson I installed on a Springer I have
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I stick with the S&A because I like that you can get regular or thin. I put VZ thin grips on all of my 1911's and with the thin S&A the grip and magwell align. If other companies carry the thin version I have not found it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#26]
S&A.. And replacing that ILS will improve your trigger too!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I got the S&A on my Colt and had SACS blend and contour it. I am quite happy with it.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the Wilson bulletproof model.

Other ones I'd look at are MARS armament and Nighthawk.

Not a fan of two-piece setups.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#28]
The magwell on my Commander has been on the gun since 1997?
It's the type that has the hooks and mounts under the grip.  Made out of some kind of cheap plastic.
It is unobtrusive has performed perfect for 30,000+ rounds.
At that time I replaced the Colt MSH with an Ed Brown "wedge" MSH with the magwell that screws on the bottom.
That magwell came off and I put the plastic one back on.
Like the wedge MSH fine.  The bolt on magwell not so much.  Sometimes the two dollar part is the best part.

Gratuitous pic of an old beat-up gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I stick with the S&A because I like that you can get regular or thin. I put VZ thin grips on all of my 1911's and with the thin S&A the grip and magwell align. If other companies carry the thin version I have not found it.
View Quote

While not labeled as thin/low-profile, the NH one-piece magwell actually is and works perfectly with VZ slim line grips.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Awesome Pistol!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#31]
S&A magwell has been the standard for a long time before other makers starting their productions. It is still an excellent option consider the price. For me there is no need to spend $160-$180 on a megwell that other makers try to sell as better alternative. I still like S&A that Springfield put it on the Professional model.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
S&A magwell has been the standard for a long time before other makers starting their productions. It is still an excellent option consider the price. For me there is no need to spend $160-$180 on a megwell that other makers try to sell as better alternative. I still like S&A that Springfield put it on the Professional model.
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r600/mlin1911/crg127bfg.jpg
View Quote

That's a really old Pro, looks like the first ones after the "Bureau Pistol."

That one yours?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, it's a very early CRG Pro right after Springfield stop using Bureau Model and FBI serial number. Mine still have the serial number engraved on the side of the slide.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes, it's a very early CRG Pro right after Springfield stop using Bureau Model and FBI serial number. Mine still have the serial number engraved on the side of the slide.
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r600/mlin1911/CRG1rg.jpg
View Quote

Sir, that is an exquisite firearm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top